“Our New Years Eve Wedding 2012”
Review of Rowton Castle

Rowton Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Halfway House
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We had our Wedding at Rowton Castle Hotel on New Years Eve 2012.

From the moment we made the appointment to view the venue, we fell in love with it. The Reception staff welcomed us and their hospitality was second to none. We then were shown around the stunning venue and grounds by the Wedding Co-ordinators. They took great time and detail to explain the day and really helped alleviate any concerns that we had. They said that we can contact them at any time with any questions at all, we did this on numerous occasions and there was always someone to talk to.

Due to us being at maximum capacity in terms of guests, we were concerned that there would not be enough staff to cope with this. We were very wrong. The staff throughout the entire Castle were attentive, prompt and could not do enough for anyone. We would like to specially thank our Day Manager and MC, Gareth who handed seamlessly over to Keith for the evening reception. They really helped us have a stressless day by managing everything effortlessly (always making sure we had a drink, canape and anything else we required).

The food was amazing. All of our guests commented on the food. It was promptly served and cooked to perfection. The hog roast of the evening was a must and a real crowd pleaser!

The accomodation was well maintained, clean and comfortable. All of our guests were pleased with their rooms. The breakfast that was served in the morning was plentiful and again well cooked.

All of our guests are still talking about our day and how Rowton Castle and their staff made it perfect. We would thoroughly recommend this venue to anyone that is looking to get married in warm and inviting surroundings with an amazing quality of service. Our fairytale Wedding.

Thank you Rowton Castle for giving us everlasting memories.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Ian L

Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

What a lovely Place,Went to Wedding there and the Place was beautiful,The rooms were really nice and clean but one thing my boyfriend is 6'3 & the bed was too small but other than that,perfect,The Staff were fantastic,the food was out of this world,it was the Friday of the heavy snow so the views were stunning so had some pictures taken outside..Thanks to All if the Staff for making our visit very special :-)

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my boyfriend and many of our friends stayed too for our friends wedding in December. The castle is beautiful and a great wedding venue. Our room was great it had a comfy double bed, lovely clean bathroom, TV and tea and coffee making facilities. We stayed in a standard room and couldn't fault it, it would be lovely to have a more superior room for a romantic get-a-way and the hotel has a real homely feel its traditional but not in a tired old fashioned way and the staff are helpful and friendly. The breakfast included was really good and the room we ate in was beautiful, cooked breakfast is served to you instead of buffet style. Lovely stay.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed January 9, 2013

If you are thinking of this place for your wedding my advice is....book it. we had our wedding here in December 2012 & the whole day was amazing. These guys are wedding experts they seamlessly manage your day taking any potential stress out of the experience. Venue speaks for itself and makes for some stunning photos (booked Stuart Hay & would highly recommend). Still have guests telling us it was among the best weddings they have ever attended. The staff all work really hard to make sure you feel really special on your day & have an amazing time.
The resident DJ is excellent & makes sure your guests are up on the dancefloor...dont think i was off it all night. Would recommend booking Casinut the fun casino...all my guests loved feeling like high rollers for the night. The honeymoon suite is amazing & breakfast the following morning was lovely. Really cannot fault this place, we both had an amazing day from start to finish. Must also say I had Wendy Shaw for my flowers & my bouquet was stunning, had Simply Beautiful for chair covers, table decs & sweet buffet (which all the guests loved I might add). If you have your wedding here you will absolutely not be disappointed. We would like to pass on our thanks to all the team for making our day an outstanding experience. Thanks again from Helen & Julian

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank helen s
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We chose Rowton Castle for our wedding venue, we got married on the 29/12/2012, we paid for the exclusive use which included exclusive use for our family and friends of the castle for the whole day and evening and for the use of their 20 bedrooms.
I am a very hard to please individual and became a bit of a Bridezilla during preparations..
However ,our whole experience with the Castle has been nothing short of excellent, from the day that we did the initial tour with Caroline Lee to meeting Lewis Williams on my wedding day who co-ordinated our big day to ensure it ran perfectly (Lewis, if you read this I forgot to thank you on the day but you were excellent )
In fact the whole team were extremely professional and friendly ,
If you are from out of the Shrewsbury area like my now husband and I and are a little wary about using the Castle due to lack of familarity, dont be ...
The Castle provide a full list of companies, they recommend, that you can use from florists to taxi firms and other local Hotels and B and B's that your guests can use.
We decided to use the recommended DJ Will Tudor, we were not disappointed, he managed to keep everyone on the dance floor all evening .
I also used the recommended hairdresser Claire Houghton, as my own hairdresser let me down at the very last minute , Neither my bridesmaids nor I had hair trials with her , as no there was no time. so understandably I was a little nervous, but she was superb.
We used Wendy Shaw the florist for our Button Holes, Chair Covers , center pieces and wedding flowers, she was excellent and provided the exact look that we required.
The canapes and wedding breakfast were good (not that we got to taste the canapes as was outside having our photographs taken when they were served) however our guests told us that they were excellent,
Our only frustration was the adjoining property decided to start a bonfire at the exact tme we decided to take photographs outside which you can clearly see in some of our wedding photos.
I spent alot of my weekends prior to booking the castle visiting alot of potential venues and Rowton castle was far superior to the others,
The bridal suite is awesome, however my husband had discovered the TV in the bathroom and found sports whilst in the jacuzzi bath (not quite the wedding night Id hope for, note to future brides hide the tv remote in the bathroom)
The venue holds around 300 weddings per year but we were made to feel as if ours was the first and only wedding that the castle had held .
We are hoping to go back to the castle for our first anniversary to use the bridal suite.

Room Tip: All rooms are individually designed but excellent , I doubt very much whether any traveller would be...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank LeanaHW
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed recently for a friends wedding, the room we had was beautiful and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. All in all a great day and lovely wedding.

The only (very minor) criticism would be that I have had better breakfasts at much cheaper hotels. However I must stress this is a minor point, the breakfast was fine, it just wasn't as good as we would expect from such a place.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Very pretty venue both outside and in. Rooms perhaps not the most practical for a very large wedding as we found ourselves pretty cramped at times during the length wait for the wedding breakfast and there also wasn't much seating in the allocated room which meant alot of standing and moving out of peoples way. I would imagine that outside of winter this wouldn't be an issue as people could gather outside.

Service was excellent but was definitely of the extremely formal and overly polite style, rather than warm and welcoming, but again I guess this probably the atmosphere they want for such a venue.

Food was perfectly fine, but nothing special. The bedrooms were for the most part excellent, however the in-room experience was ruined by the water going off completely whilst trying to shower for a good 15 minutes or more. This seemed to coincide with the people in the neighbouring room turning on their shower as they also had the same problem. Very frustrating first thing in the morning when you are covered in soap and I had to revert to using water from the bath taps. That was the only blip on what was a lovely room and a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank David K
bcherrington, Owner at Rowton Castle, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit to Rowton Castle for a wedding.

We are always delighted to receive such praise from such a constructively written review; I was delighted to read that you found the venue very pretty both inside and out, the service excellent, the food perfectly fine, the bedrooms excellent, and that you had a good nights sleep - always welcome after a night celebrating a wedding!

With regard to the shower in yours and a room close to yours, I am a little perplexed that the bath tap pressure was fine, but the shower was not; they run off exactly the same supply into the bathroom. We have however already made arrangements to investigate this with our plumbers, apologies for your experience with this. Whilst it is no consolation to you, it is the first adverse comment we have received regarding the showers at Rowton, guests usually comment on how powerful they are in comparison to other hotels. If there is an issue, rest assured we will find it and rectify it!

Thank you once again, and a very Happy New Year to you.

Bryan Cherrington Co-Owner

The Shrewsbury Hotel
The Shrewsbury Hotel
#3 of 16 in Shrewsbury
The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury by Compass Hospitality

Been to Rowton Castle? Share your experiences!