“Lovely”

Rowton Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Halfway House
“Lovely”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed on Thursday for a wedding, was absolutely perfect. The room was lovely and the whole day from the wedding itself to the after party were great.
Dinner, DJ and staff were brilliant.
Only downside was the breakfast buffet, thought the cooked breakfast was a little sparse but was all cooked well

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Prharry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Rothwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We got married her on Thursday and I couldn't have found a better venue!

We only booked in ten weeks in advance so although we needed to be organised the staff at the Castle couldn't have been more helpful.

We went for the 'Fixed Price Offer' and to be honest it was the best decision we have ever made.

Most of our correspondence was done via email or phone but there were absolutely no hitches.....none. The staff were brilliant, no matter who you talked to. They explained everything in full, especially what was included and what was not (and to be honest there wasn't much that wasn't). they told us the payment schedule and double checked all the details as we went along.

We asked Wendy the flower lady to do the bouquets and flowers and she was absolutely brilliant. We used the recommendations from the Castle for both the bridal hair and make up for myself and my bridesmaid and they were both brilliant and reasonable. So thank you Linda and Kim (Kim has a broken foot and still came and did our hair)....you were both great and really put us at our ease.

I also arranged for Stephanie the harpist as special surprise for my husband and the castle ensured that there was nothing on the paperwork that would give it away.

We arrived at the Castle at half eleven and our room was already ready. Our guests arrived between 12 and 1 and all the rooms were ready for them....something we were not expecting as we had already been told that they would be ready at 2pm.

Gareth Winebloom was our Master of Ceremonies for the day and he was absolutely brilliant.....even though we were not the traditional bride and groom and changed a few things from the standard format......no problem at all!!!

When he was checking the CD's for the ceremony it turned out I had a brought an empty CD box and we had no 'exit' music.........god love him he found it on his I-pod.....saved the day :-) He came up and explained the way it worked with the registrar and the timings that we had to stick to and came up to get us.

We had Stuart Hay as our photographer who was really good, very thorough, and took absolutely loads of photos........I gave him a list of photos I wanted (Including specials) and the names of the people we wanted in them and he ensured that they were all taken.....plus about 300 more :-)

After the photos the guests were brought into dinner and then we were introduced. The room was absolutely beautiful. We had the top table in front of the fire with the tables set in front of it 'cabaret style' so no guest had their back to the top table....it was lovely and felt very intimate.

We decided to have the wedding speeches before the meal and Gareth introduced me...then my husband...the best man and then the grooms father.....after the clapping and giggling had stopped the starter was served promptly, we had opted for a combination of melon and pate. At this point they opened up the double doors and Stephanie was sitting there and started to play. My husband was so over whelmed....it was brilliant that we had managed to keep it a secret......and she couldn't have been better.

The main course was stunning, roast beef and yorkshire pudding. We had a few people who needed something slightly different and this was served at exactly at the same time and with no issues.

We had strawberry roulade for desert and it was delicious!

There was a choice of red, white or rose wine for the guests......I dont drink wine but Gareth already knew I have a liking for Blue WKD and brought me a wine glass in filled with it......a very nice touch and extremely thoughtful.

I am no great foodie but my new husband is and he thought the meal was absolutely brilliant and could not fault a single thing.

We decided to cut the cake while the coffee was being served so Gareth announced it for a photo op! Was great :-)

The guests drifted out to the various rooms for a break while Will, the best DJ I have ever heard, got the party started.

My hubbie was feeling the heat so we actually delayed out first dance until 9pm.....no problem for Will!!!! He played all requests and the floor had someone dancing for every tune ...... I have never danced so much in one evening.

The buffet was served at 9.30pm along and we had asked that the wedding cake was served with it....along with a chocolate cake ...and it all came out together. The Bacon Baps and Chips were all pipping hot and the vegetarian option was also perfect.

The bar staff were great and were caught singing along to the disco......we wanted them to come and dance but they said they couldn't leave the bar!!!

We ended the night at 12.30pm and everyone complimented us on what a brilliant day/night they had had.

Breakfast was served between 7.30 - 9.30 so nearly everyone made it :-) A good choice of cereal, fruit, yoghurt and a great hot selection which included eggs, bacon, sausages, etc. The tea/coffee was brought out quickly along with the toast. Seconds were not a problem either.

We had one little one and asked for a cot in the room and a highchair for the wedding breakfast. Again no problem....they even put a matching ribbon around the highchair which was a nice touch.

I appreciate you may think I might have gone on and on but I really can't praise the Castle or their staff highly enough.

From the beginning of the process when we viewed the castle until the end of the wedding when all the guests had departed there was nothing but helpful friendly staff. Nothing was too much trouble....no request too strange.....and everything was met with a smile.

The grounds are perfect for photos and the patio section with tables and umbrella's for the smokers was a godsend. The weather was quite warm so part of the wedding party were having fun outside. The fact that there are a number of rooms so that people could sit on sofa's and relax in smaller groups if they didnt want to sit in the main room was brilliant.

We had an age range of 2 - 71 and everyone was catered for without exception.

Two things have been mentioned to me....please remember it is in old house so there is no lift and there are quite a few stairs so it is a bit difficult for members of the party that have mobility issues.....we put our less mobile guests on the first floor but you do need to think about it. Secondly the ladies pointed out that there was not a full length mirror in the bedrooms, there is one in the bridal suite so I cant really complain, but the ladies like to look their best so it might be something that should be considered.

My only regret is that we didn't really have enough time to enjoy our wonderful room.....there is a great double ended bath but we never had time to indulge :-)

The question I have been asked most in the last couple of days is 'Can we do it again next year for your anniversary???' .....

It was a perfect day in a perfect venue and I can never thank the Staff at Rowton Castle for being so brilliant.

Wendy Thorpe

Room Tip: They are all good. Less mobile people should be on the first floor but the two rooms over the disco...
3 Thank Wendy T
London
Reviewed August 25, 2012

This is run as a very slick operation and that's no bad thing!! Everybody knows what they have to do to make the day run as smoothly as possible.

I attended a wedding here and from the cheery greeting as we arrived to the reminder for the room key on departure all was done with a smile.

The grounds are beautiful, the rooms lovely and the staff are superb. Nothing and I mean nothing is too much trouble. Extra keys, changing temperatures, rooms available early, the gardener picking up the grass before the pictures were taken, I could go on and on......

This is a hotel that takes pride in the service they offer and it shows. I would highly recommend this venue for any special occasion - not just a wedding - you want to enjoy with an intimate group. I can't wait for the reunion we are going to plan!

The only slight issue is that there is no lift to the rooms so if you have guests with mobility issues this may be something to keep in mind. Strangly for a hotel offering this kind of service, no full length mirrors in the room to check yourself in before you attend your function ..

Room Tip: First floor are more traditional with dark wood, upper floors more contemporary.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My Mum got married here on 23/08/12, well what can I say, what a brilliant place! All the staff are so friendly and helpful, you couldn't have asked for more. The Bridal Suite is lovely, amazing bathroom (if you have enough time in your stay to enjoy it!!) All the guest rooms are lovely also, I had room 7 (very modern, massive double 4 poster bed!) Kim and Wendy the Hair Stylist and Make up girls were brill (they are advertised in the castle book if you need some help) The ceremony was lovely, very intimate and very enjoyable. We had a 3 course meal for food, pate for starter, roast beef for dinner and the roulade for dessert (dessert was the best!!) Grounds are gorgeous for photos, we had a brilliant day, it wasn't sunny but it definitely held out for us. Disco in the evening with Will the resident DJ was fab!! By far the best wedding ive been to. Thanks for a brill day and evening Rowton Castle!!

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My son and new daughter-in-law booked Rowton Castle for their Wedding on 22nd August and what a fantastic day it turned out to be. Everything was planned right down to someone putting on your corsage for you, with very helpful and friendly staff. The rooms were also very comfortable and a Wedding venue that would be very hard to match.
A day to remember and a great start to married life.

karazulu
Reviewed August 12, 2012

My Daughter booked Rowton Castle for her wedding on 9th August 12 and I cannot find one fault with the venue. From the day she first visited 18 months ago and chose Rowton for her wedding everything has been fantastic.
The staff were superb from the days prior to the wedding all through to the day of the wedding.
The wedding coordinator made my daughter feel completly at ease and she ensured that everything run smoothly from start to finish.
The food for the wedding meal was excellent and the hog roast for the evening was by far the best pork that I have ever tasted.
Entertainment wise if anyone who books this venue, does not book the local DJ Will Tudor they would be making a big mistake, Will is a legend and knows exactly how to make sure everyone has a fantastic night, his proffesionalism and entusiasm is first class.
The rooms are superb and very clean the hotel itself is a fantastic building, and the grounds were incredible, we were lucky with the weather as it was lovely and sunny on the day, you cannot choose the weather, but you can certainly choose a fantastic wedding venue.

1 Thank karazulu
Wednesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We held our wedding at Rowton Castle on the 1st July 2012 and were not disappointed.

On our first visit we met with Brian Cherrignton who showed us around the venue and talked us through the various packages/options and you could instantly tell that they specialised in weddings leaving no questions unanswered and full literature was provided to take home.

Upon making the booking then dealt with by the wedding coordinators, in our case this was mainly Karen and Caroline who are both lovley and very helpful people, nothing was too much trouble for them, even after the 50th email and phone-call!! All forms of communication were answered efficiently and promptly.

On the actual day we were looked after by Lewis who acted as master of ceremonies, again he was such a cheerful and helpful person - he made sure that everything went like clockwork which it did!

The food served at the wedding breakfast (which was silver-service), evening buffet and breakfast the following morning was all very delicious and plentiful.

We have also had fantastic feedback from our guests about the bedrooms in which they stayed in overnight.

Finally, we found that all the staff we met right the way through from House Keeping to Reception were helpful, approachable and very pleasant.

We would highly recommend Rowton to anyone who is looking for a first class wedding venue!

Elizabeth & Lee

#1 of 1 in Bishops Castle
Albright Hussey Manor Hotel
Albright Hussey Manor Hotel
#8 of 14 in Shrewsbury

Been to Rowton Castle? Share your experiences!