Rowton Barns
$94
$91
Travelocity
The Shrewsbury Hotel(Shrewsbury)(Great Value!)
$55
Hotels.com
Rowton Castle(Halfway House)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsattending a weddinghonesty barwet roomworking farmstayed herenearby weddingcherry tomatoeslounge arealong barnunderfloor heatingrooms bookednearby castlea great staylocal pubshower headbreakfast roomfull english
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Had booked this B&B because I was attending a wedding at Rowton Catle. I had originally hoped to check in around late morning with prior confirmation with the owner. However due to the church being nearer to Brignorth than Shrewsbury area I had to delay checking in until mid afternoon. I phoned and left a message to warn them on their answerphone. However on turning up no one was at reception to book us in and despite phoning the two mobile numbers taped onto a window, after waiting half an hour and leaving numerous mesages we had to return to the wedding reception next door at Rowton Castle. On arriving back to the wedding venue I asked the lady on reception to try and contact the b&b owners about checking in. She managed to contact the owners after trying different numbers and eventually after having a fraught conversation with the owners discovered that thet had gone out for the day and there was no staff in situ to let us in! However a secret key place was divulged to us so we could open the reception door and retreive our door key - what a carry on! By now I was not very pleased as this meant we ould not enjoy the reception and couldnt drink as we had to drive back down to the B&b with our luggage as it was to far to walk with it all. Eventually after much inconvenience found the secret key when we came back later at 8 pm and found our key at reception. The owner had by now come back and helped us to our room, apologising for our inconvenience as he had just only now received our numerous voicemail messages.

The room was large and roomy but the bed was hard and pillow flat as a pancake. When we eventually walked back after the wedding party had finished we found it dificult to negotiate the road safely due to some of the lane not being lit. It is nearby to the castle but after a few drinks is a fair walk. There was no shower in the room only a hand held tap one. There was no tiling around it either so the walla got wet whe I used the shower head. However the room was clean and bright.

Breakfast was good and well cooked. On checking out I was informed that there would be no charge because of the inconvenience to us on checking in.

Overall I would recommend this B&B. It was clean and the breakfast room lovely, however it does have a strange checking in system which had not been explained to me earlier and had caused us lots of stress.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank wickedqueen
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The location of Rowton Barns is perfect if you are attending a wedding at the Castle, as we were. We opted for the Barns rather than other local B&B's because of this, even though it was more expensive.

Apart from being covered in cobwebs, the size of the room was OK for one night but the bed was very hard and uncomfortable and the pillows were virtually flat!

Another major disappointment was the fact that our room had no shower, just a bath. Apparently some of the rooms have showers and some have baths, although this was never mentioned at the time of booking. It would have been nice to have been given the option! The bath towels are also very small. The lack of toiletries was surprising too. Not even a small bar of soap in the bathroom!!

The breakfast was OK – nothing fantastic. You don’t get the option of beans or tomatoes with the full English – you just get given tomatoes. This was fine for me as I like them but not great if you don’t. The waitress however was very friendly.

All in all an OK place to stay for a wedding at Rowton Castle, but there are certainly less expensive B&B’s in the area that offer more comfortable surroundings if you don’t need to be located close to the castle.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bambora51
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed here when attending a wedding at Rowton Castle.

Check in was simple, card to fill in with a quick show of the lounge area with an honesty bar.

Rooms are nothing exciting, but functional and bright. Beds are uncomfortable and the pillows dire. Would have been nice to have been able to have a cup of tea in the lounge as well as a drink.

Saying that, it was spotlessly clean and the breakfast was fabulous.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Location here for Weddings at the Castle is spot on. I'm afraid it is overpriced and I wouldn't visit again, I'm 5"6, the single beds that are provided in twin rooms, are less than single beds! (Around 2 x 6 instead of 3 x 6) If you want to turn over, you will fall out the bed, If your tall or larger than a size 8 I wouldn't recommend the twin rooms!. It was awful, you want a good night sleep the night before a wedding, didn't happen here! Breakfast was good, and the staff we seen (1 lady!) Was polite enough. I wouldn't return unfortunately.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a double!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ALB1990
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The location of the Barns is perfect if you are attending a wedding at the Castle, as we were. We opted for the Barns rather than other local B&B's because of this, even though it was more expensive.

We were very dissapointed with the size of the room - the smallest I have ever stayed in. The bed was very hard & supposed to be a double, but our feed stuck out the end (I am only 5ft 4), I also nearly rolled out twice!
Hardly any space to move around the bed to get ready, very thin walls & some proper curtains or blackout blinds would make the world of difference - I was bolt awake at 5am with bright sunshine lighting up the whole room - not good with a hangover!
The wet room was a nice idea, although the water gathered by the door turning the whole bathroom into a large deep puddle!

However, the staff were friendly, the room was clean and we had a nice breakfast. But it feels like far too many rooms have been squashed into this barn conversion.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple