“Mixed views”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Although the meals served in the Zyka were excellent, the experience was not the best.
Main meals were delivered on a plate - covering the entire plate therefore no room for rice or accompaniments - the food also went cold quickly as it was so spread out.The portion of rice was so small, half the meal was left when the rice was finished. Perhaps this is a ploy to get the diner to buy Naan breads or other accompaniments.
The dessert menu was particularly disappointing. Ice cream or ice cream - and expensive at that.
The biggest disappointment was the restaurant itself. On the first floor, accessd by an unlit stairwell, past a Restaurant sign the rear of which had not been cleaned in years and which had grafitti written in the grime of the "clean me" type normally found on dirty vans.
Inside the restaurant, the first thing that greets you is a stair carpet which is actually black with dirt - not just discoloured, but filthy. On the stairs to the upper floor, a dish with what looked like cigarette ash at first sight, but was in fact the remains of old old incense sticks. The Restaurant carpet is old, dirty,worn, discoloured and stained. Although the Restaurant claims to have a 5* food hygiene rating, the front of house standards would raise concern about attention to detail behind the scenes.
One waiter was dressed in a sweat shirt type top and jeans, not a professional image.
This is not a cheap Restaurant, and despite the tasty food, I will not return.

4  Thank HabbieS

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We have tried a couple of Indian restaurants in Formby & we have found them to be fair to good on the service and taste of the food, however I was told to try the Zyka Indian, which is in formby village, I ordered chilli chicken tikka masal and my wife ordered a chicken tikka masala, once we opened the boxes of food onto our plates, the smell was amazing, but it was the taste factor that wowed our taste buds , the chilli chicken although hot, the flavour from the sauce, chillies and pilau rice was absolutely amazing, my wife also commented that the tikka masala, mild in spice but so much flavour , that she felt she could not stop eating it!! Overall an very pleasant taste experience, the price for our meal including naan bread and chips came to £24.00, dearer than most Indian restaurants in Formby but I guess it is true what everyone says " you get what you at for" !, I will be going to the Zyka again and again !! Thanks for the lovely food ..

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I have been to this restaurant a few times now and the experience I have had have been variable from very good to average to poor - I must say though that the time it was poor the management did put things right, so no complaints there. I was a bit disappointed last time we visited in September as it was a Saturday night and our party of 4 were the only people in the restaurant which is a bit disheartening as I hate to see local businesses not doing well - Hopefully this is a "one off " - the water did say that its more takeaway now though which is a pity . Overall I would recommend though .

Reviewed September 16, 2013

The set menu on a Sunday at £9.95 is really good value. Pappadoms, choice of starter and a choice of main course. The Pappadoms were crisp and flavoursome, the starter was excellent and the main was very good. Food taste and style is different to other indian restaurants and they cater for all palates. The beer was good, but only bottles available, draft indian beer would have been favoured. Nice decor and pleasant and attentive service.

1  Thank Billythefish1
Reviewed September 7, 2013

£85 for 2 adults and 2 children , which is overpriced for the quality of food and service. We had grumpy waiter and food not great at all. There are far better places to eat in formby.

7  Thank markjw71