“Lovely Resort”

Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Formby
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband was playing in a Golf Competition at Formby and I went along for the leisure faciilities and the Gala Dinner. Not being a Golfer , I can't speak for the course, my husband enjoyed the day but found it quite difficult as it was a slow game. He was on the course from 8.45am to 7.30 pm with 30 minutes for lunch playing 36 holes. Then he had to get ready straightaway for the Gala dinner.The Gala dinner was excellant and they catered for my Wheat/ Gluten Free diet really well.
The swimming pool was great, even though the bubbles weren't working in the Jacuzzii, there were three jets in the pool you could stand under. The only problem I had was that reception told me there were pool towels down by th pool and all I needed was a coin for the locker. After leaving the pool I couldn't find any and had to try to dry myself as much as I could under the hand dryer in the ladies!!!
We didn't eat in the hotel the first night but got a taxi to a pub nearby [The Grapes] and the meal was really very good [Weatherspoons Style]Taxis are quite cheap..
All in all I wouldn't hesitate to go back if I got the chance as the room was excellant too

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
FHGRRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Resort and thank you for including some pictures you took of the facilities during your stay, they will prove interesting for our potential future guests.

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and can’t wait to return again.

I have spoken with our Golf Manager and he recalls the event in which your Husband played, the party in question were the only players on the course that day so any delays would have been in relation to the pace of play. Often large groups are made up of players with various abilities so occasionally the length of play can be affected. I can see that the original booking in the system did have a longer break between rounds for lunch than the 30 minutes you mention. I will pass on your kind compliments to the Chef in relation to the Gala Dinner, he is an expert on catering for Gluten Free guests as he follows a Celiac diet himself.

Your comments regarding the Jacuzzi have been noted and since your stay it has been serviced so is now back in full working order. Upon speaking with our reception team regarding the towel issue they think there has been some confusion. Towels are available for our guests to use when visiting the pool and they can be collected for the Leisure Reception desk up on arrival however you may have made your way to the pool internally and missed the leisure desk. I have asked the reception team to be more specific when advising guests on this matter.

Thank you for highlighting our great location, we are indeed a small taxi journey away from Formby Village which has a great variety of shops, restaurants and cafes plus the National Heritage sites at Formby Point,

We have some great special offers planned for the Autumn months so I do hope that we can tempt you back again very soon.

Revenue Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,976)

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Just had two great nights at Formby Hall and have to say it was fantastic value, we did the Spa special that gave us bed and breakfast with evening meal and a tension treatment at the spa each day, All the staff at the hotel and spa were spot on, the food was good and we had a large room, the only problems with our room was the shower cubicle had black mildew on the tiles and the shower head, the free wifi had no signal in our room and it was the same for any mobile signal, we will defiantly be returning

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
FHGRRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Tafontour,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Formby Hall Golf Resort and Spa, from your review it sounds as if you stayed on our Serenity Spa Break which offers fantastic value for money. I'm so glad that you found the spa treatments, food and staff to be of a high standard however I'm disappointed that your bedroom fell short. Our housekeeping team generally maintain very high standards so I'm so sorry that your bathroom was in need of further treatment, which is very unusual I have forwarded on a copy of your review to the Housekeeping Manager so that she may inspect all of the bathrooms to ensure they are free from mildew.

We do have free wifi to all areas of the Resort so I'm sorry that you struggled to get a signal during your stay, I have passed on your comments to our IT Consultant so he is aware and can make sure the sytem is running correctly.

I'm glad to read that these small issues would not deter you from visiting the Resort again, I can assure you that we take great pride in offering the best to our customers and as such value all feedback we receive.

We have some great offers planned for Autumn so hopefully we can wlecome you back again very soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here again with my family for a 2 night break. We had a family room which was big enough for 2 adults and 2 kids. The atmosphere is very relaxed and pleasant. I took my daughter to the spa to have her nails painted for treat and she was treated really well by the staff and special thanks to Zilma who mad her very welcome.
Not the cheapest hotel in town, but you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the golf course
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
FHGRRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you so much for posting your review onto TripAdvisor, how lovely to hear that Formby Hall Golf Resort is your favourite Hotel in the area. We are a popular choice for families during the school holidays due to our fantastic facilities and location.

I have forwarded on a copy of your review to each of the department Head's so they may share your compliments with their teams. I will also make sure Zilma is aware you appreciated her efforts during your daughters visit to the spa.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again very soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Had a great day in the spa. Was treated to a fantastic body massage and facial (well done Rian) together with a lovely light lunch. Staff were all exceptional in the cafe bar at the spa. Check in was great our room.....outstanding! We had cocktails before a fabulous dinner and again the staff were great particularly the young man in the restaurant. Breakfast was again fantastic I loved it and cant wait to go back a great birthday treat thank you Formby Hall!!

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Nancyrow,

Thank you for posting your fantastic review, it is so lovely to hear that you enjoyed your time here at the Resort. I have forwarded on your kind comments to the departments involved so they can share them with their teams.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon, we have some great Autumn offers planned.

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with 3 friends for one of the spa break deals. We all had the back massage which was lovely. The evening meal was lovely. We all had something different and all thoroughly enjoyed it. We had room 214 which was nice but my friend had 219 where the window was screwed shut and s film over it so you couldn't see out. It was very claustrophobic.

• Stayed: August 2013
FHGRRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review online, I'm so glad that your party enjoyed their Spabreak at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa and that the treatment and evening meal were of a high standard.

We do have 2 rooms at the Hotel which due to their location do have internal windows which are frosted glass and for H&S purposes unable to be opened. Some guest do prefer to have these rooms as they are quieter and darker however should a guest be unhappy we will always do our best to move rooms unless we are fully booked.

I do hope this would not deter you from staying at the Resort again, we have some great special offers planned.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Just had a two game one night dbb here with 21 others - very pleased with golf course and the staff at the hotel were brilliant - always smiling and happy to help in any way. The drinks were reasonably prices and there was a wide choice of beers available - unusual in a hotel of this type. Overall would recommend to anyone. Didn't get to use the pool and spa but will get there next time we come.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear peter_sunnyside,

Thank you so much for your great review, I'm so glad your golf group enjoyed their stay at Formby hall Golf Resort and Spa.

The details within your review will prove very helpful to potential golf groups considering staying at the Resort, we are finding more guests are consulting tripadvisor before booking so thank you.

We have some great special offers for future golf groups booking for 2014 so please don’t hesitate to get in touch with the sales office and we can advise those to you.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We went for a one-night stay in a deluxe room on a spa package. The room (129) was well-designed, large and the fixtures and fittings were good. Complimentary water, bottle of Italian rose wine and Baileys miniatures. No fruit, which was a shame but a small detail in the end. Two flat-screen televisions and a docking station, and a terrace leading on to the golf course. The bed was firm. The bathroom was well-fitted and spacious.

All in all, a great room.

The spa package was not exactly what had been booked. We were told it included a one-hour treatment for each of us; in the end, it was a 25-minute treatment. The treatment itself was well done and the spa environment is well-designed. The other spa rooms are good - the "Tranquility Suite" with docking stations, is calm and restful; "Thermal Heaven" (Therm Eleven, as I heard it first time) contains a good hot sauna and a reasonable steam room. Downstairs, a 20-metre swimming pool is set at a good temperature, and the adjacent steam room is very good - better than the one upstairs.

Sadly, it appears someone in the changing room saw fit to pinch my young son's t-shirt while I was otherwise distracted. I think the staff did what they could to look for it, but it goes to show that however good the staff are, you can find scumbags everywhere.

The breakfast is adequate - probably more three-star than four-star; the cooked food looked ok but the fried food was greasy. Lunch in the "19th hole" was reasonable - good portions but quite uninventive menu. The evening was very good. Well-trained staff and well-presented food.

All in all, a good stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear mindyourhotel,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Formby Hall Golf Resort and Spa, we appreciate all feedback from our guests as it does help us to continually develop the level of service and facilities we offer to our guests.

I have looked into your booking so can advise a couple of points in response. Our Deluxe rooms do not have fruit as part of the extras; they have robes, slippers, chocolates, bottle of wine, luxury popcorn, miniature baileys plus sitting area. We have in the past added fruit but found it went to waste which is why we now have the additional extras mentioned above.

I can see that you had reserved our Purity Spa break which does include 1 x 25 minute spa treatment pp, the details of this were confirmed in the email sent to you along with a copy of the spa treatment brochure. We do have other packages available which have longer treatments included within them however they are on average £20pp extra. I'm sorry that there was some confusion regarding this however I'm glad that you found both the spa and treatments to be of a high standard.

Please accept my sincere apologies that your son's t-shirt was lost, I do remember speaking with you regarding this and directing you to the Spa Reception area so they could check the lost property. I so sorry that the t-shirt wasn't found and hope that it was simply picked up by another guest by mistake and not stolen.

I have forwarded on your comments regarding breakfast and the menu within the 19th Hole to our Chef, we have recently made some changes to the offering in both of these areas so hopefully you will see an improvement should you visit the Resort again.

Revenue Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Formby
Ramada Plaza Southport
#18 of 99 in Liverpool
The Bold Hotel
The Bold Hotel
#3 of 23 in Southport

Been to Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!