“Great spa break”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Formby
Liverpool
“Great spa break”
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with 3 friends for one of the spa break deals. We all had the back massage which was lovely. The evening meal was lovely. We all had something different and all thoroughly enjoyed it. We had room 214 which was nice but my friend had 219 where the window was screwed shut and s film over it so you couldn't see out. It was very claustrophobic.

• Stayed August 2013
FHGRRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review online, I'm so glad that your party enjoyed their Spabreak at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa and that the treatment and evening meal were of a high standard.

We do have 2 rooms at the Hotel which due to their location do have internal windows which are frosted glass and for H&S purposes unable to be opened. Some guest do prefer to have these rooms as they are quieter and darker however should a guest be unhappy we will always do our best to move rooms unless we are fully booked.

I do hope this would not deter you from staying at the Resort again, we have some great special offers planned.

Revenue Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
north wales
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Just had a two game one night dbb here with 21 others - very pleased with golf course and the staff at the hotel were brilliant - always smiling and happy to help in any way. The drinks were reasonably prices and there was a wide choice of beers available - unusual in a hotel of this type. Overall would recommend to anyone. Didn't get to use the pool and spa but will get there next time we come.

Dear peter_sunnyside,

Thank you so much for your great review, I'm so glad your golf group enjoyed their stay at Formby hall Golf Resort and Spa.

The details within your review will prove very helpful to potential golf groups considering staying at the Resort, we are finding more guests are consulting tripadvisor before booking so thank you.

We have some great special offers for future golf groups booking for 2014 so please don’t hesitate to get in touch with the sales office and we can advise those to you.

London
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We went for a one-night stay in a deluxe room on a spa package. The room (129) was well-designed, large and the fixtures and fittings were good. Complimentary water, bottle of Italian rose wine and Baileys miniatures. No fruit, which was a shame but a small detail in the end. Two flat-screen televisions and a docking station, and a terrace leading on to the golf course. The bed was firm. The bathroom was well-fitted and spacious.

All in all, a great room.

The spa package was not exactly what had been booked. We were told it included a one-hour treatment for each of us; in the end, it was a 25-minute treatment. The treatment itself was well done and the spa environment is well-designed. The other spa rooms are good - the "Tranquility Suite" with docking stations, is calm and restful; "Thermal Heaven" (Therm Eleven, as I heard it first time) contains a good hot sauna and a reasonable steam room. Downstairs, a 20-metre swimming pool is set at a good temperature, and the adjacent steam room is very good - better than the one upstairs.

Sadly, it appears someone in the changing room saw fit to pinch my young son's t-shirt while I was otherwise distracted. I think the staff did what they could to look for it, but it goes to show that however good the staff are, you can find scumbags everywhere.

The breakfast is adequate - probably more three-star than four-star; the cooked food looked ok but the fried food was greasy. Lunch in the "19th hole" was reasonable - good portions but quite uninventive menu. The evening was very good. Well-trained staff and well-presented food.

All in all, a good stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear mindyourhotel,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Formby Hall Golf Resort and Spa, we appreciate all feedback from our guests as it does help us to continually develop the level of service and facilities we offer to our guests.

I have looked into your booking so can advise a couple of points in response. Our Deluxe rooms do not have fruit as part of the extras; they have robes, slippers, chocolates, bottle of wine, luxury popcorn, miniature baileys plus sitting area. We have in the past added fruit but found it went to waste which is why we now have the additional extras mentioned above.

I can see that you had reserved our Purity Spa break which does include 1 x 25 minute spa treatment pp, the details of this were confirmed in the email sent to you along with a copy of the spa treatment brochure. We do have other packages available which have longer treatments included within them however they are on average £20pp extra. I'm sorry that there was some confusion regarding this however I'm glad that you found both the spa and treatments to be of a high standard.

Please accept my sincere apologies that your son's t-shirt was lost, I do remember speaking with you regarding this and directing you to the Spa Reception area so they could check the lost property. I so sorry that the t-shirt wasn't found and hope that it was simply picked up by another guest by mistake and not stolen.

I have forwarded on your comments regarding breakfast and the menu within the 19th Hole to our Chef, we have recently made some changes to the offering in both of these areas so hopefully you will see an improvement should you visit the Resort again.

Derbyshire
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We arrived for a golf break with 4 of us and we were very impressed with the course and hotel. We are regular golfers and we thought the course was a test which made you think. The greens were top class.

Our checkin was stress free and the rooms were spacious and clean.

We'd definitely travel here again.

Dear Benno24,

Thank you for posting your great review, I'm so glad that you found the Hotel, Golf Course and Staff to be of a high standard.

I do hope that we can welcome you back again very soon, perhaps during your next stay you could also play our Par 3 course which is a real challenge and regarded as one of the best!

Rochdale
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Booked at the hotel for a Gourmet Package on the Friday and and a re-balance package for Saturday and Sunday.

This was definitely a mixed experience, hence the poor rating. Upon arrival I had a good check in but then had to haul my heavy bag up the stairs as the lift was out of service (and stayed as such for the whole weekend).

I arrived at my room and was suitably impressed with the size, view and facilities. I had booked on a Gourmet package which was supposed to include a spa gift, chocolates, wine etc. which I expected to be waiting for me in the room, this wasn't the case and I went to use the phone to ring down to check the details of my booking. To my horror the phone was absolutely filthy, I cannot believe how bad it was, covered in visible chunks of god knows what and stained. I complained and was told that my missing items would be delivered to the room and that the room would be cleaned straight away. I advised that I would go and get a drink in the bar to get out of their way to sort the problem. I stayed away from the room for two hours only to find on my return that no-one had cleaned the room. I spoke to reception and was told that they would clean my room whilst I was having dinner in the evening instead. I was offered a complimentary bottle of wine as an apology with my evening meal. The final issue with the room was noise, there was a non-stop humming noise throughout the night which meant not a lot of sleep.

The restaurant was fine, and the food was of a reasonable standard although we waited a very long time between courses on the Saturday night and when I ordered a cocktail half the ingredients were missing!

The spa break was again fine, on the first weekend in August we experienced no overcrowding and found some of the treatments to be relaxing and as advertised although there was a distinct difference in quality of treatment depending on which therapist you got. Our lunch in the Bistro was very basic and didn't feel luxurious in keeping with the Spa and was disappointing.

After all the negatives above I must highly praise the staff in the hotel, despite all the issues experienced, all staff were friendly and dealt with complaints well. The restaurant staff on the Friday night were particularly good and went out of their way where possible. They are a credit to Formby Hall. A bit more attention to detail would have guaranteed a return visit but I felt that nearly £600.00 on a weekend away just hadn't felt like value for money and too many cons vs pros.

Do not feel I can recommend Formby Hall for the food or spa experience.

1 Thank MysteryGuestRochdale
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

I took my mum to this spa this week and we had the most beautiful day. Everything seemed so well organised and the staff were helpful and friendly. I purchased a package from the deals page and then added treatments and lunch to tailor our day it was perfect. The therapy rooms were all immaculate and it did not seem to busy as clients were spread across the many areas in the spa.

I thought for a special luxurious treat it was good value for money. We had to pay a "weekend premium" per person of £10. Im not really sure what this charge is for but my mum really enjoyed herself and therefore it was worth every penny. Fabulous atmosphere and great experience we are booking again near christmas!

Dear Supersaz183,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent spa day at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa. I'm so glad your Mum had such a lovely time and found the staff and facilities to be so welcoming. I have forwarded on a copy of your kind comments to the Head Therapist so she can share them with the team.

We have some great special offers in place at the moment so hope to see you back at the Resort again very soon.

liverpool
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This was my third stay this year. The bistro service on arrival was rather slow, and we had to ask to order our food, then again ask to order dessert, followed by us asking for the bill! Food was lovely though, as was the wine.

There were a couple of issues with our room, cleaner could have been more thorough shall we say, but these were dealt with quickly by the housekeeper Pam and receptionist Emily.

The spa experience was blissful as usual, the hour long massage absolutely amazing. Staff are all so warm and welcoming, even going to see if our room was ready for us in the hotel before we left the spa.

Food in the restaurant was lovely as usual. Cocktail hour was fantastic too and great value.

Staff are so helpful and happy to go 'that extra mile'... and complimentary wine is always appreciated ;) Looking forward to doing it all again soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
FHGRRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review online, we appreciate all feedback from our guests as it really helps us to continually improve and develop the service and facilities we offer to our guests.

Apologies that the service within the Bistro was slower than usual and also that there were some housekeeping issues during your stay. Both of these departments have had some new starters so I have asked the Department Managers to put in place some re-fresher training.

I'm glad the remainder of your stay was at our usual high standard and that our staff, food and cocktails were appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back for a 4th time very soon.

Revenue Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Formby
Ramada Plaza Southport
#15 of 97 in Liverpool
The Talbot Hotel
The Talbot Hotel
#5 of 23 in Southport

Been to Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!