“Fun and relaxation at Formby Hall”

Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Formby
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Fun and relaxation at Formby Hall”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

A late Mothers day present meant a spa day at Formby Hall. It was a fantastic afternoon. The staff are very welcoming especially the lady in charge of the dining room, who couldn't do enough for us. The food was appetizing and went down well with the glass of wine included.We then spent the next few hours swimming, relaxing in the sauna and steam rooms and generally chilling out. Then came the treatments. I had never had a massage before and after the head, shoulders and back massage I will definitely have one again. It felt wonderful. We had the Rasul treatment next which left my skin felling like velvet. The whole time we were there every step was explained so we knew what to expect. The only downside was it was very busy. My daughter who has been before said this was not the norm, but given how good it was is not unexpected. I will certainly go again and try the numerous other treatments.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
FHGRRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Christine L,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent spa day at Formby Hall Golf Resort and Spa. Your kind comments are very much appreciated and will be passed on to the team at the Resort.

It’s lovely to hear that your daughter chose Formby Hall Golf Resort to celebrate a belated Mothers Day treat, I'm so glad you found the spa day to be so relaxing and the treatments enjoyable.

The Resort has been much busier recently due to a number of special offer packages that are fantastic value for money, we do try to manage the number of bookings so that the relaxation facilities are not too busy however we are also finding that some of our guests are staying longer than average in those facilities which can occasionally contribute to a busier feel.

We do have some special offers planned for the summer months so I hope we can welcome you back very soon.

Revenue Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
Formby, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2013

A big thank you to all the staff from formby hall for making our wedding anniversary really special. We had an amazing day in the spa. The staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and luxurious. We had an amazing meal in the top quality restaurant where the service was impeccable. A special thank you to Tony, Debbie and Jackie for making it so special.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
FHGRRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review online regarding your stay at Formby Hall Golf Resort and Spa, I'm so glad you chose to celebrate your anniversary at the Resort.

I will pass on your kind comments to Tony, Debbie and Jackie who will all be thrilled they helped to make your stay so enjoyable.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the Resort again very soon, we have some great special offers planned for Spring!

Lancashire
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

I took advantage of the amazing offer that Formby Hall currently have for two treatments and lunch with two of my friends!
All in all we had a great day but I did feel that there were a few too many people there to enjoy it to its full potential for example many of the relaxation rooms were full all day meaning that you couldn't experience everything the spa had to offer!
Saying that this is a brilliant offer, the treatments were amazing (especially the facial) and it hasn't put me off, we enjoyed every minute and I hope to return when it's slightly less busy!

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent spa experience at Formby Hall Golf Resort and Spa. I'm glad that your group enjoyed there spa day despite the Facilities being busy. As you correctly state the special offer packages we currently have available have proved very popular as they do represent such great value for money.

Due to the growing demand for spa use at the Hotel we have implemented a yield process, this works out how many guests can attend the spa each day and limits the number of guests per package that can be booked in. We have however found that many guests are spending longer than average enjoying the facilities which can mean that occasionally they are busier than we would have expected.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the Resort again very soon, we do have some great offers planned for Spring and Summer.

Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Had a great night at Formby Hall, played a round of golf which was good then spent the second day in the Spa- algae wrap amazing .
The cocktails were great and the food excellent. Staff very friendly- will be back

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your great review, it's lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much.

I have forwarded on a copy of your review to the Head of Department at the Resort so they can share your comments with their teams.

We have some great offers planned for Spring so hope that we can welcome you back again very soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I went to Formby Hall to get away for a few days and enjoy a relaxing trip with the hubby. We arrived on Friday 29th March where we were greated warmly by staff on the front desk, we got to the room and were impressed with what we saw.. a reasonable room for what we paid for. We went to the bar an hour and a half before our restaurant reservation so we could enjoy the cocktail offers. We tried a couple of different cocktails made satisfyingly by experienced friendly girls, keen to impress both myself and my husband. My husband is rather fussy and usually sticks to Carling, but however he enjoyed tasting different cocktails with an offer you cannot refuse, 2 for 1 on cocktails. We were enjoying the company of one of the friendly young bar girls, she was interested about how our stay was so far and kindly explained a range of cocktails to my husband, and then offered to compromise certain ingredients to suit his taste. However we were rudely interrupted by a ginger chap, someone whom I presume is some kind of manager. He did not look of age to be of his position in a bar. He told the young girl in a rather loud and disrespectful manner to get back behind the bar as customers were waiting, and when I looked over to the bar there was in fact nobody stood at the bar, and other staff did not seem busy. He continued to speak down to staff all night with a bad attitude and with poor manners. It ruined my trip because I hate it when people who have a little bit authority(clearly undeserving of) feel they can treat others that work twice as hard and actually made my experience more enjoyable, without a single ounce of respect. Never the less, we enjoyed a fabulous meal in the restaurant, and we were aloud to take a bottle of wine back to the room we were staying in.
The spa and pool were of good standard and our overall stay was enjoyable besides the concern for the treatment of staff. We will be visiting Formby Hall again and would recommend it to anyone, I could only advise that someone may express my concern for young bar staff after reading this review.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
FHGRRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear RitaF572,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review online, we appreciate all feedback from our guests and take any negative comments very seriously.

I’m glad that overall your stay with us was an enjoyable one despite the negative experience regarding a member of our service team. I can assure you that I have forwarded on a copy of your review to our Bar Manager as well as the General Manager so they are aware of your comments and can act accordingly. All of our staff are highly valued as without them the Resort could not function, of course there are supervisors on shift each night to ensure the service of the public areas runs as smoothly as possible. The layout of the Cocktail bar and 19th Hole Bar is unusual in that the bar is circular in shape so it may have been that the 19th hole side of the bar was busy with customers waiting to be served, these customers would not have been visible from the cocktail lounge.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies that the behaviour of a team member detracted from your stay, I can assure you that incidents such as this are very unusual. I do hope that you would choose to come and stay with us again to experience the Resort at its best.

daddyfixit1
Reviewed April 8, 2013

just back from an overnight spa break (an Xmas gift for my Mrs) at an excellent hotel; cannot fault the reception, restaurant, spa experience, swimming pool or the hotel room for their friendliness, cleanliness or professionalism towards visitors. The dinner and breakfast meals are tasty and huge which is fine by me !! The spa staff are very friendly even when I was the only male out of about 16 people in when we visited, we had a double treatment room and then free use of sauna, steam room and swimming pool. We will go back there as we both have our birthdays in May and we deserve another treat for ourselves.

Room Tip: ground floor, facing car park but was deadly quiet, it ensured non-broken sleep and a good rest for...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your great review, it’s fantastic to hear you had such an enjoyable stay with us and didn’t mind being one of the only men in the Spa! Your review will prove very helpful to our potential future guests.

I have forwarded on a copy of your review to the HOD's so they can share your comments with their teams.

We have some great special offers planned for Spring so I hope we can welcome you back again very soon, maybe before your birthday in May!

Glasgow - UK
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights from 1st April, staying in an Executive Room.

Overall the hotel is very nice and deserves its 4* rating - however there are many areas I feel the hotel just misses out on being perfect (particularly in terms of attentiveness).

The Room
Modern and classy and ideal for our needs. Big bathroom with separate shower and huge mirror were perfect. Pillows far too firm - had to phone the next day and request softer ones (and I've never had to do this at any hotel!).

Now for the BIG problem with the room - the noise from the air conditioning unit. During the night a loud vibrating noise would start on what appeared to be an hourly basis. It would last around a minute and then stop for another hour. It was so bad we were both woken up every hour and had a terrible night’s sleep. We were going out early the next day to travel down to Chester so didn’t mention anything to the reception - instead we decided to try sleeping with the air conditioning unit completely switched off that night - no luck it happened again and another disrupted night’s sleep. Reported it the next morning on the way out of the hotel and they promised to have maintenance look at it. On our return to the hotel in the evening we asked if they had fixed it and we were told yes. It was a lot better that night (did not happen hourly), but it DID happen again - once at 4am and again about 6am. So woken up again. 3 nights terrible sleep in what is supposed to be a luxury hotel in a quiet location - not good at all! We would have had a better night’s sleep in a Premier Inn - and given our money back the next morning if there was anything wrong. After all the prime reason for staying in a hotel is to sleep. We mentioned this to reception on checking out (when asked how our stay was) - the response was "I can only apologise about that sir" - no attempt to resolve matters or show any real concern for the terrible stay we had due to the problem.

The Food
Really good restaurant and food. We both enjoyed our meal, in particular the sticky toffee pudding with the little jug of sauce to pour on yourself. Minor point on attentiveness in that we had to try and get hold of the waiter a number of times to get more drinks, to order desserts and to get the bill (ended up just going to the desk and settling). It didn't appear we had a 'set' waiter for our table which was probably the reason for this.

The Spa
Very disappointing. The Spa has been built and crammed into far too small a space for the size of the hotel and number of Spa guests. The Thermal Heaven room is not at all relaxing as everything is so close to each other. You sit in the small Sauna staring out at the people using the 4 hot stone beds. While using the hot stone beds (which have ripped and smelly head cushions - very unhygienic) all you hear is the loud noise from the foot spa round the corner. Then there are two loungers planked in the middle - again why anyone would want to lie in the middle of a small crowded room with people looking out at them from the Sauna! You are supposed to want to spend a day here - using the Thermal Heaven, the Relaxation room (which only has 4 chairs) and the Pool. No way - we spent just over an hour using the facilities and had enough (especially the Thermal Room - which we just couldn’t stand). Very poor compared to other Spa facilities we have been too.

Treatments
We were both booked for Head, Neck and Shoulder massages at 10:40am. They tell you to turn up 20mins before which we duly did. We were handed our robes etc and told it would be easier to just get changed in the treatment room before the treatment started (Spa's advice, we would have happily gone down to the changing rooms and changed it we knew we had lots of time to hang around). We were left sitting in the reception area until 10:52 (over 30mins after arriving, and left sitting twiddling our thumbs). Eventually someone dealt with the fact we had been sitting a while and not taken for our treatment (as others around us had been taken ok). We then had to get changed in the room and the treatment finally started at 10:55. Treatment was nice, but short changed in that is stopped at 11:15 - only 20mins. Was supposed to be 30mins. They do say they allow 5mins for consultation before the treatment - but we were not given any sort of consultation. Therefore 1/3 less treatment time than what paid for / due = unimpressed feeling.

Overall
Some of the problems we experienced above may look like we had a bad time here, we didn’t, but some key things and small matters re. lack of attention to detail really spoiled our overall stay. We get the feeling this place really goes for quantity over quality - and by pulling too many people in they really lose their focus on quality.

We are also disappointed with the price we paid given the severely disrupted sleep we had each night - we experienced a problem like this once before with air conditioning noises at another hotel and we were rightly given compensation and spoken to directly by the hotel manager who made us feel like they genuinely cared about solving the matter and making us want to return. Here we just got the impression they didn’t care at all.

Would I return? Possibly - but I would need to check reviews to see if standards have improved.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay on to TripAdvisor, we value all feedback from our guests and use it to continually improve the level of service and facilities we offer to our guests.

I will address each of your issues in turn:

The Room
I have spoken with Housekeeping regarding the pillows, to date there have been very few people requesting alternative however they are now looking into having an alternative stock of pillow types.

Apologies that the air conditioning unit caused interruption to your sleep, the air conditioning units are now all in the process of being maintained. It is always best for guests to advise of any issues relating to their bedroom as soon as possible so that we can try to resolve the issue and minimise the disruption to your stay. I'm sorry that you felt your issue was not dealt with in the correct way, I have spoken with our Reception Manager regarding this so she can implement some further staff training.

The Food
I have forwarded on your compliments to the Chef regarding the food, the STP always goes down well with our guests and remains one of the most popular dessert choices. I have also highlighted the slow service to the Restaurant Manager.

The Spa
During the period of your stay we had a special offer spa break package which proved very popular as it represented such great value for money, what we found is that guests booking on this package actually remained in the spa facilities for a longer period of time than average which did mean that certain periods of the day were busier than expected. We have now started to look into new measures that could be implemented to minimise this issue. Your comments have been taken on board and I have asked our maintenance team to look at the worn headrests so they can be repaired or replaced.

Treatments
We do ask that guests arrive 20 minutes prior to their first treatment for a number of reasons, firstly so you have time to change into robes and slipper and be shown the facilities available, this also ensures that guests are at the Spa in time for their treatment so that their treatments can begin on time. I'm sorry that the Spa team did not look after you in the way they should have, the standard procedure is that you are shown to the changing facilities, shown where the bistro, leisure and relaxation facilities are and finally taken to the treatment room.

The 30 minute treatment slot does have a 5 minute consultation built in and also time for the therapist to position you onto and off the treatment bed. I'm sorry that you felt your time had been cut short and I will raise you concerns with the Spa Manager.

I can assure you that the level of service and facilities we offer is generally very high. it seems you experienced an unfortunate collection of issues for which I'm very sorry. We value every one of our guests and should you return to stay with us again then please don't hesitate to get in touch and I can ensure you are well looked after.

Revenue Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Formby
Vincent
Royal Hotel
#40 of 97 in Liverpool
Central Liverpool
30 James Street, Home of the Titanic

Been to Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!