“Awesome room. Ok spa.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Formby
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Awesome room. Ok spa.”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed here overnight for a spa break deal. Upgraded to a superior room which was huge, nicely decorated and had patio doors which opened onto the lawns / golf course - very nice! The bathroom was also big and we got nice fluffy dressing gowns and slippers. The spa was nice and we enjoyed our treatments, but thought that some of the facilities (like the relaxation rooms and sauna) were a bit cramped. The food in the restaurant was really good as was breakfast, which was a continental buffet and full english cooked to order.

Room Tip: Upgrade to superior room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
FHGRRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review, we appreciate all feedback from our guests.

Looking at the photo's you have uploaded the room you stayed in was 129 which is one of the 6 deluxe rooms we have at the Resort. You're right it is a fantastic room with patio area overlooking the golf course.

I'm glad you enjoyed your spa treatment however I'm sorry you felt the facilities were a little cramped in areas. Currently the Resort is experiencing a very busy period due to the special offer spa break we had available, guests have access to the spa facilities as well as treatments and often spend the full day in the Spa which can mean it can be busy during peak times.

I have forwarded on a copy of your review to the team so they are aware of your comments. I do hope you will come back to stay with again in the future to experience the Spa at its best.

Revenue Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
uk
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Just returned from our overnight stay.
The Spa treatment was FABULOUS, we got the full 30 minutes and it was one of the best we have ever had. The only 'niggle' was we couldn't get into any of the relaxation rooms as they were full however after 3pm it did empty out so we couold have accessed them then but by then we were well chilled out, helped by a glass or two of the house wine (highly recommended!).
We bought a groupon package which did limit the evening meal choices somewhat, but the meal was perfect. It would have been nice perhaps to have the option of upgrading to the A La Carte menu and paying the difference, but it certainly didn't spoil anything.
Breakfast was lovely and relaxing. Checkout quick, friendly and easy.
Everywhere was spotless, the staff were really friendly, the cleaners discreet and thorough. Our room was again one of the nicest we have ever had.
The hotel is a bit of a maze.......especially after the wine, but thats just an excuse for us to return as we now know where everything is!!
In summary great value for money, fabulous location & atmosphere, lovely staff especially the Duty Manager who really had his work cut out with an 'issue'' raised with a couple of members of our party of 11. .It was resolved quickly, simply and fairly so that everyone was happy and felt valued as a customer and client of the hotel.
My Daughter and I will return as soon as we can and will be highly recommending to our other friends and family to do the same.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jovi19,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your great review, its lovely to hear feedback from our guests and I'm so glad your group enjoyed their stay with us as well as the house wine!

We did run a spa break offer via Travelzoo which resulted in the Resort becoming even more popular, many guests taking up this offer choose to stay the full day in the Spa meaning it did become busy during the peak periods, as you mention from 3pm onwards it tends to become less busy as guests retire to their bedrooms before dinner. We are looking at the possibility of extending the relaxation facilities we have on offer in the future as our Spa breaks continue to grow in popularity.

Within the Winter Indulgence Spa package a 2 course dinner is included, guests dine from our Residents Menu which generally has 4 choices for each course available, it is possible to use your allocation towards the a la carte menu if Residents Menu isn’t suitable. I'm sorry that this wasn’t made clear to you during your stay, it could possibly be as you had a group of over 10 people. As a rule larger groups on busy dates are asked to preorder on check in to ensure the level and speed of service can remain high.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the facilities and staff we have at the Resort, I have passed on a copy of your review to the team. I'm glad you are planning to return and recommend to your friends, we have some great offers planned for when the Indulgence one expires.

Blackpool Lancashire
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Booked a Spa package for myself and my Daughter. We had a wonderful time and cannot fault a thing. Staff very attentive in all areas of the Hotel and food amazing. A big Thankyou to Lisa and Amy for the wonderful Spa treatment. Going back in March for my Birthday can't wait.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course lovely view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for posting this great review, its lovely to hear that you both enjoyed your relaxing break with us.

I have forwarded on a copy of your review to the team here at the Resort who will be thrilled. Our Spa Manager will pass on your thanks to Lisa and Amy.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Resort again very soon.

LEEDS
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We bought a Winter break package for £100 for two and stayed on 13th Feb so we could use this as a Valentine's treat. Wow what a bargain - was worth every penny and more! Lovely, luxurious, ground floor room overlooking golf course with terrace and lovely rattan furniture. We had robes and slippers in room, tea/coffee facilities, including complimentary chockies too! As part of our deal we could use the full spa facilities which were lovely and not too busy either and we also had a choice of a treatment which was a head, neck and shoulder massage. We took advantage of the 5 - 7pm two for one cocktail deal and then enjoyed a lovely meal in the restaurant and full cooked breakfast the following morning. The staff were efficient and friendly and made our stay wonderful. We really enjoyed our break and will be keeping a look out for any future deals at this hotel. This is the second time we have visited and certainly won't be our last!

Room Tip: Choose ground floor, overlooking golf course - these are sunny and peaceful with lovely views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your fantastically detailed review, I'm so glad you enjoyed your early Valentines break with us and we helped to make the special occasion so memorable.

The details within your review we prove very helpful for out potential future guests, we are finding that guests will increasingly refer to Trip advisor before confirming a booking.

Our executive rooms are fantastic, the extra such as robes, slippers, chocolates and Golf course view really help to make the stay more enjoyable.

I have forwarded on a copy of your review to each Head of Department so they can share your comments with their team members.

Once again thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

liverpool
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

I bought a package deal which cost me £100 for two people and what an excellent deal we got. This is my second stay at the hotel. The rooms were modern,classy, luxurious and very clean.
The spa - we were given robes and slippers before using the spa which gave it that extra spa experience. They had 4 heated beds overlooking the golf course which I would have stayed on all day given half the chance, 2 steam rooms, a sauna, experience showers, and foot spas. They also had a room with soft beds and mood lighting where you could snooze all day along with many treatment rooms and a huge pool.
The treatment- we chose a rasul treatment and we were shown to our own little room where we covered ourselves in mud. We then sat in a steam room for 20 mins until the showers come on automatically.
The restaurant- on my last visit I wasn't very keen on the food at all but it has all changed a lot since then. I was very impressed with the service, very attentive!
The food was delicious, I ordered the chicken parfait for starters and the fish pie for mains, superb!!!

There staff we're very helpful and friendly. I honestly have not got a bad word to say about this place. And I will most definitly be returning without a doubt.

• Stayed February 2013
FHGRRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your great review online, it’s fantastic to hear you had such a great stay with us.

From reading your review it sounds as if you booked our Winter Indulgence package which was a great offer at half our usual price. £99 per room inclusive of 2 course dinner, bed, breakfast, 1 x 30 minute spa treatment each plus access to facilities. As you can appreciate this offer was extremely popular with some guests booking multiple stays!

I'm glad that you enjoyed your evening meal more than in your previous stay, we have a new menu and Restaurant Manager in place which are making a great difference so thank you for noticing.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon, we have some great spring offers planned.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I booked the escape spa package for my me and my boyfriend. We had an atlas rasul booked for 3.45 and did not go to the treatment until 4.10 when we had had enough of sitting there, we asked when we would be going in. We were then taken straight to the treatment room, fully clothed in a wet room. We had to put our dry clothes on a wet seat. When we came out we had to ask to be shown where the changing rooms were and we were then given a tour of the spa. Surely that should have been done when we arrived! Next, we had a full body massage which we couldn't fault. It was amazing the best part of the weekend.

Our evening meal was booked for 8 o'clock, we were seated immediately on arrival and then forgotten about! Again we had to ask to order! I also had not been previously told that we would not be able to order from the main menu and was presented with a limited menu for valentines weekend. The food was nice and the waiters were friendly.

I would not recommend this hotel. It was not a cheap spa break and I feel disappointed as it was a birthday present, I could have spent less money in a better hotel somewhere else.

Dear Steph2806,

Thank you for taking the time to write and post your review, we appreciate all feedback from our guests and use it to continually help u improve the level of service and facilities we offer to our guests.

I have forwarded on a copy of you review to our Spa Manager so she can address the points you have highlighted.

It is standard practice that when confirming bookings we ask our guests to arrive at least 20 minutes before their first appointment to ensure that they have time to change into their robes and slippers and have a tour of the Spa facilities, apologies that you were not greeted upon your arrival at the Spa and shown to the changing facilities we have available, this is very unusual and I'm sincerely sorry that you were not given the full welcome.

Dinner at the Resort can get very busy so we ensure that all guests prebook their dinner time, please accept my apologies that you were kept waiting, I have made our Restaurant Manager aware of your comments so he can speak with his team regarding this.

I can assure you that the experiences you had at the Resort are not of our usual high standard, we like to ensure our guests receive the best of our care and attention however it seems that during your stay you had the misfortune to experience a few lapses in customer service. Of course should you return to the Resort in the future please let me know and I can ensure that you are well looked after.

Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful venue, location is excellent to find and golf course and hotel well above par. However don't except too much from the bar staff. The bar staff are usually too busy gabbing or faffing around to listen to your order and invariably have to repeat yourself a number of times. Usually fail to bring the order correctly first time and never all together for the whole table.
Hotel staff seem very organised and courteous as are the golf and leisure staff
19th hole staff grossly let the place down and need some serious attention paying to them with regards to training.

Dear Redsmarty,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Formby hall Golf Resort & Spa, we appreciate all feedback from our guests and use it to help us continually develop the level of service we offer to our guests.

I'm glad you found the facilities we have on site to be excellent and our staff on the whole to be courteous and organised however I'm sorry you did not find this the case within the 19th Hole. I have forwarded on a copy of your review to the F&B manager so he can address your comments with the staff from this area and offer further staff training to those in need. It is highly unusual to receive feedback such as this but I can assure you that we take negative comments very seriously.

I hope that the attitude of our bar staff during your stay would not deter you from staying with us again in the future, I'm sure if you returned you would find the issues you experienced were isolated.

Revenue Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Formby
Ramada Plaza Southport
#15 of 97 in Liverpool
Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
#40 of 97 in Liverpool

Been to Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!