“What a relaxing 5* break. Fantastic hotel!!!”

Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Formby
liverpool
“What a relaxing 5* break. Fantastic hotel!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

I bought a package deal which cost me £100 for two people and what an excellent deal we got. This is my second stay at the hotel. The rooms were modern,classy, luxurious and very clean.
The spa - we were given robes and slippers before using the spa which gave it that extra spa experience. They had 4 heated beds overlooking the golf course which I would have stayed on all day given half the chance, 2 steam rooms, a sauna, experience showers, and foot spas. They also had a room with soft beds and mood lighting where you could snooze all day along with many treatment rooms and a huge pool.
The treatment- we chose a rasul treatment and we were shown to our own little room where we covered ourselves in mud. We then sat in a steam room for 20 mins until the showers come on automatically.
The restaurant- on my last visit I wasn't very keen on the food at all but it has all changed a lot since then. I was very impressed with the service, very attentive!
The food was delicious, I ordered the chicken parfait for starters and the fish pie for mains, superb!!!

There staff we're very helpful and friendly. I honestly have not got a bad word to say about this place. And I will most definitly be returning without a doubt.

• Stayed February 2013
FHGRRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your great review online, it’s fantastic to hear you had such a great stay with us.

From reading your review it sounds as if you booked our Winter Indulgence package which was a great offer at half our usual price. £99 per room inclusive of 2 course dinner, bed, breakfast, 1 x 30 minute spa treatment each plus access to facilities. As you can appreciate this offer was extremely popular with some guests booking multiple stays!

I'm glad that you enjoyed your evening meal more than in your previous stay, we have a new menu and Restaurant Manager in place which are making a great difference so thank you for noticing.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon, we have some great spring offers planned.

Revenue Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I booked the escape spa package for my me and my boyfriend. We had an atlas rasul booked for 3.45 and did not go to the treatment until 4.10 when we had had enough of sitting there, we asked when we would be going in. We were then taken straight to the treatment room, fully clothed in a wet room. We had to put our dry clothes on a wet seat. When we came out we had to ask to be shown where the changing rooms were and we were then given a tour of the spa. Surely that should have been done when we arrived! Next, we had a full body massage which we couldn't fault. It was amazing the best part of the weekend.

Our evening meal was booked for 8 o'clock, we were seated immediately on arrival and then forgotten about! Again we had to ask to order! I also had not been previously told that we would not be able to order from the main menu and was presented with a limited menu for valentines weekend. The food was nice and the waiters were friendly.

I would not recommend this hotel. It was not a cheap spa break and I feel disappointed as it was a birthday present, I could have spent less money in a better hotel somewhere else.

Dear Steph2806,

Thank you for taking the time to write and post your review, we appreciate all feedback from our guests and use it to continually help u improve the level of service and facilities we offer to our guests.

I have forwarded on a copy of you review to our Spa Manager so she can address the points you have highlighted.

It is standard practice that when confirming bookings we ask our guests to arrive at least 20 minutes before their first appointment to ensure that they have time to change into their robes and slippers and have a tour of the Spa facilities, apologies that you were not greeted upon your arrival at the Spa and shown to the changing facilities we have available, this is very unusual and I'm sincerely sorry that you were not given the full welcome.

Dinner at the Resort can get very busy so we ensure that all guests prebook their dinner time, please accept my apologies that you were kept waiting, I have made our Restaurant Manager aware of your comments so he can speak with his team regarding this.

I can assure you that the experiences you had at the Resort are not of our usual high standard, we like to ensure our guests receive the best of our care and attention however it seems that during your stay you had the misfortune to experience a few lapses in customer service. Of course should you return to the Resort in the future please let me know and I can ensure that you are well looked after.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful venue, location is excellent to find and golf course and hotel well above par. However don't except too much from the bar staff. The bar staff are usually too busy gabbing or faffing around to listen to your order and invariably have to repeat yourself a number of times. Usually fail to bring the order correctly first time and never all together for the whole table.
Hotel staff seem very organised and courteous as are the golf and leisure staff
19th hole staff grossly let the place down and need some serious attention paying to them with regards to training.

Dear Redsmarty,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Formby hall Golf Resort & Spa, we appreciate all feedback from our guests and use it to help us continually develop the level of service we offer to our guests.

I'm glad you found the facilities we have on site to be excellent and our staff on the whole to be courteous and organised however I'm sorry you did not find this the case within the 19th Hole. I have forwarded on a copy of your review to the F&B manager so he can address your comments with the staff from this area and offer further staff training to those in need. It is highly unusual to receive feedback such as this but I can assure you that we take negative comments very seriously.

I hope that the attitude of our bar staff during your stay would not deter you from staying with us again in the future, I'm sure if you returned you would find the issues you experienced were isolated.

Formby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Fantastic! From the welcome from Carla in reception, to the beautiful rooms, to the delicious food, to the spa treatments - the whole experience was fantastic.
Our deluxe room (125) was amazing, set on a corner, overlooking the golf course with 2 sets of french doors each with its own patio furniture, huge bed, large modern bathroom with the biggest bath tub, complementary rose and baileys (personal favourites!).
Our friends stayed in a standard room (112) overlooking the carpark and were also impressed with the modern decor, comfort and cleanliness of the room.
We ate in the spa bistro for lunch, dinner and breakfast in the main restaurant and concluded with afternoon tea in the Java lounge. Everything was delicious and staff friendly and efficient.
We all agreed the spa massages were totally relaxing and enjoyed using thermal heaven and the main pool/jacuzzi.
It was so fabulous, I've just booked again, this time with hubbie and daughter, and again upgraded to a deluxe room - it would be rude not to!

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for deluxe room if you can. 3 on ground floor have patios and furniture and golf...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for posting your fantastic review, it'slovely to hear such great feedback from our guests.

Ii have forwarded on a copy of your review to the team at the Resort including our Recption team so they can all read tyhe positive comments you have made.

Our Deluxe rooms are amazing and the added extra your receive in these rooms have recently been upgraded to include the minautre Baileys, Luxury Chocolates and Popcorn. Our standard rooms are still great, they are large, have courtyard views and lovely decore.

I'm so pleased you are retuning again for a family break, children are very welcome at the Resort and the location of the Hotel means there are pleanty of family based activities both onsite and in the local area such as Farmer Teds, Splashworld, Formby Beach, Formby Squirrel Reserve, not to mention the great shopping in nearby Southport and Liverpool.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Buxton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

An amazing hotel in a perfect location! Facilities are excellent with restaurant staff and bar staff very helpful and friendly. Reception staff thou are a little in keen to impress! The male on reception was much more helpful then the older lady but still both had a slight arrogance to them... Phones ringing off the hook, just seemed a little chaotic at times.

Food fantastic. Bedrooms are large and spacious, the beds are comfy too!! Bathrooms are excellent and in very good condition.

Overall, a great hotel but reception staff need to have the can do attitude you would expect from a receptionist.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I'm glad your stay with us was so enjoyable and you found both the bedroom and hotel facilities to be of a high standard.

I'm sorry you felt the Reception staff were not as welcoming as you would have expected, I have forwarded on a copy of your review to our FOH Manager so she can address the comments you have made with her team. Please accept my sincere apologies regarding your check in experience and I can assure you that comments such as this are very rare, as you can see from past reviews our staff service levels are usually highly praised.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the Resort again very soon, we have some great Spring offers planned between April and May.

Skelmersdale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed here on Saturday the 9 th Feb 2013,over night early valentine treat for my wife and me . Great deal upgraded to a deluxe room, absolutely amazing two flat screen TV,s(one by big bed overlooking golf course other in sitting room area, big double door entrance to huge bathroom (shower, wash basin,and double bath)Bed Breakfast and evening meal(great choice and beautiful food) included.The Staff were excellent from arrival to leaving. Spa nice but smallish,pool nice but small hot tub, couldn't get in for hen party taking turns(only fits five people anyway).If you want to pamper your loved one then book Formby Hall Asap.Would i go back,Yeah looking already.

Room Tip: UP GRADE You Know it makes Sense.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
FHGRRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your great review, I have forwarded on a copy to our HOD’s so they can share it with their teams.

It's lovely to hear you both enjoyed your spa break with us, especially the Deluxe room you upgraded to. Our Deluxe rooms are fantastic, we have 6 of them at the Resort all of which are individually designed.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Resort very soon.

Warrington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

We booked a pamper package for my parents for Xmas.. We also joined them. We went on the 21st jan.. The men were suppose to play golf, but due to the snow they were unable to do so, however we did phone in the morning and told the fairways had been cleared..... No way had they been cleared.. So anyway myself and my mother had a treatment and used the spa.. If I'm honest I've been to a lot better, the doubletree at Chester is my idea of 5 star spa.. It was so full you couldn't get changed in the changing rooms, you couldn't use the heat beds and the relax room only had 4 beds... I had the head neck and shoulder .. I swear my neck wasn't even touched... Anyway after a bad start it did get better... The rooms were lovely defo a 5 star and the cocktails were also nice.. The food both the breakfast and the evening meal was fab! I'm just disappointed that an Xmas present wasn't what they expected... While formby hall can't be made responsible for the snow the fairways had not been cleared!! The cost was £50 per person so it was a good price, I'm glad I didn't pay the full amount... It was worth the £50 to stay over and have a meal.. But if you are going to do these offers do not overbook, I don't really have a complaint about the hotel, room, food etc.. Mostly was let down by the spa! X

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Ozzydog123
FHGRRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review online, please accept my sincere apologies that your stay did not fully live up to your expectations.

Without your full details I am unable to check which therapist performed your treatment however if you would like to get in touch with me directly on 01704 835442 I can look into it further for you. All of our therapists are fully trained do it is very unusual that your treatment was not a detailed as it should have been. As you can see from our past reviews the treatments are always highly recommended. Due to the popularity of the Special offer you reserved the Spa has been experiencing high levels of demand and as such we are now looking into extending the Spa where possible. We do have additional changing areas available during busy periods so I’m sorry this was not highlighted to you during your stay.

With regards the golf course and snow coverage I have checked with our Golf Manager and he advised that any guests whose round was affected by the snow were given a green fee voucher for a return round.

I do hope that these negative would not deter you from coming to stay with us again in the future. Should you choose to come and stay with us again then of course please let me know and I can ensure that a note of your past experiences are made, I'm sure you will find that the level of service and facilities we offer are of a fantastic standard.

Revenue Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Formby
Vincent
Royal Hotel
#41 of 99 in Liverpool
Central Liverpool
30 James Street, Home of the Titanic

Been to Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!