“It's Truly a Paradise!”

Crystal Paradise Resort & Winery
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Narra
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Having spent 4 days and 3 nights at Crystal Paradise, i could only say that it’s everything is awesome! Excellent, Amazing place, amazing staff, amazing service. The staff was incredibly friendly and very responsive . They anticipate your needs and giving you the perfect holiday vibe and let you just chill and relax. Crystal Paradise exceeds one's expectation and treats you like its own. I felt entirely safe on the resort and did not feel the need to constantly keep my eye on my belongings.

To Crystal Paradise Resort Staff and Management ,Thank you so much for making our vacation memorable!

Anthony and Marian

Room Tip: Amihan Pool Villa room is perfect!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anthony M

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I had read some of the other reviews about this place and was a little doubtful to bring my wife to a remote area. However, I already booked to direct with hotel agency. So i had no choice- just to go on with our honeymoon. And now i really did not expect that during our whole stay in Crystal Paradise Resort is almost perfect! All staff is very friendly and accommodating, the place is exceptional , SPA is Amazing!( they are using all natural products for the whole treatment) we can order and have food served at our room and we feel like a King and Queen during 3 days and 2 nights stay.

Room Tip: Get the amihan Pool Villa, you won't regret it
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kate31phillips
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I booked three nights at Crystal Paradise during mid February as a romantic getaway for me and my girlfriend. On arrival everything seemed fine with the friendly staff, welcome drink and introduction. However on closer inspection the resort seems in need of an overhaul.
The room (deluxe) was pretty basic, with a very small toilet and shower (no hot water) and little or no reception on the satellite tv. The general decor was shabby but clean at least.
The pool was dirty and unattended, the beach wasnt really a beach at all, there was a pool table and table tennis table in reception but poor quality sports equipment.
In general it didnt live up to my expectations I got when looking at the website beforehand.
On the plus side I thought the food was ok and not too expensive which was good as nothing else was within easy walking distance.
We did take the day trips to Turtle Island and Estrella Falls which we both enjoyed and the lunch on both occasions was plentiful and tasty.
I cant fault the friendly staff who did everything they could to make us feel welcome and the valentine dinner was nice enough but for the overall cost I dont think it offered real value for money compared to other resorts i have stayed at in the Philippines.

Two tips:
One is take plenty of cash before you leave Puerto Princesa as the only 2 x ATMs within 10km were both out of action the whole time we were there.
The other is that you can take a local bus/minivan (10 seater) from the Lexus terminal in PP to Narra for around 300Php per person, which is a lot cheaper than the hotel transfer. Ask any tricycle driver in PP to take you to the bus terminal, the vans seem to run south every hour or so.

5  Thank smartcat64
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We made the mistake of booking this place in advance, paying a 10% deposit. When we arrived we saw the rooms and were VERY disappointed at the standard. They were stained, the furniture chipped and clearly in need of a major overhaul - not what you expect for high-end prices in what should be a relatively cheap place - Narra. On the basis of the quality of the accommodation, we decided not to stay. The staff offered us the opportunity to "upgrade" to a more expensive 'chalet' with pool but the price was just way too high for the standard, so we decided to stay somewhere else - even though we knew we'd probably lose our deposit. We were asked to write a letter to explain why we weren't staying, which we did. We were then extremely disappointed to find out that, not only had they kept the deposit, they had also charged our credit card for the whole amount of the 2-night stay! This was despite the fact that they clearly weren't full and so had not lost other business through our cancellation. We have tried consistently to contact Crystal Paradise but they do not reply to emails and do not answer phonecalls. Extremely poor for a resort that claims to be upmarket. A cancellation policy whereby a customer pays at least part of the bill if they don't show up, is understandable. But to charge the full amount for a 2-night stay when we DID turn up, saw the rooms and decided not to stay because of the poor standard, is shocking. Note also that they have doctored the photos in their brochure to show white sand on the beach.. it is actually brown sand. The colour of the sand is no issue for us but the fact that they have doctored the images shows that these people are dishonest. Steer clear. There is a very nice resort called Macapuno (not yet on TripAdvisor) just down the road and on the same beach. We stayed there and had a great time - cheaper accommodation, lovely staff, amazing food and you can do all the excursions from there.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank AuthenticityHunter
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I was excited to escape to Narra, and chose to stay at Crystal Paradise Resort because of the features described on their website, namely their private beach, swimming pool, and jacuzzi. I didn't mind that the resort was far from Puerto Princesa city, as last fall I had a wonderful experience in Panglao staying at Linaw Beach Resort which was slightly isolated from Alona beach.

Upon arrival, my fiancee and I were impressed with the modern dining pavilion and resort accommodations, and we started planning our stay. During lunch, a staff member informed us that the pool and jacuzzi were broken and could not be used. This was very disappointing because it was one of the main reasons I had booked my stay at a remote resort. Upon later inspection of the pool, the water was brackish and a dark green color, appearing as if it had been broken for some time. During our stay there was no visible effort made in repairing it. I inquired about their timeline of fixing it, and I got a vague answer that seemed as if they intended to leave it as is, perhaps to save on maintenance or utility costs. No effort was made to warn us about this before we made our booking.

We made an attempt to enjoy our stay regardless, and started looking at their available tours. Most tours require a minimum of 4 guests in order for the staff to reserve a tour spot, and these are non-refundable reservations if they can't find enough people. Most tours are also based out of Puerto Princesa proper and require a 4800Php transfer fee for the round trip, which is a 2 hour journey each way. This discouraged us from pursuing any of the tours they offered.

The Resort made reasonable accommodations to our requests, by letting us use one of the pools in a vacant villa, and letting us use the spa jacuzzi free of charge, but these required us to call ahead each time for a feature that was advertised as free-to-use on their website. The friendly demeanor and accommodating personality of the staff is their only redeeming feature, as I had to call and ask for nearly every feature that was advertised on their website. I had to request a hair dryer, mineral water replacement, and facility usage if I wanted any of them, and I needed to follow up with additional requests if I wanted to continue to receive them.

The staff is also extremely slow, with the exception of two of the wait staff, at delivering meals. My fiancee and I waited 2 hours for our dinner on valentines day, and on days where we were the only ones present at the dining facility, we waited at least an hour. The landscaping and housekeeping staff did however seem to be very serious about their jobs and the lawns and gardens were well maintained. We met a friendly Australian man and his fiancee during this time, who were also very disappointed with the resort, especially the fact that the jacuzzi in their private villa was unheated.

If you do stay here, beware of the very tall coconut trees which are directly over all of the main walking paths. My fiancee is Visayan and grew up around coconut trees throughout her life. She informed me that the resort grounds were a dangerous setup, and the falling coconuts could cause death or brain damage.

I would also caution guests to avoid the town market tour, as it may put them in danger. We took this tour, and I received many suspicious looks from the Muslim population there despite being there for only a few minutes and acting with respect. While guests may be at minimal risks, some Muslim groups throughout the Sulu archipelago have been known to kidnap or behead westerners. My fiancee was worried about my safety and immediately took us back to where our trike driver was supposed to be waiting, only to find that they had gone away without texting us. After calling multiple times and waiting roughly 15 minutes, the driver finally arrived and we returned back to the hotel.

That afternoon I had a serious discussion with my fiancee and we both decided that the resort was a major disappointment and we should leave as soon as possible to enjoy the remaining time we had planned for Palawan. We had already booked a 5 day stay and were in our 2nd day, but I decided I would rather leave early and pay the full price for the 5 days than stay there and be miserable. We booked a 2 day stay at Dos Palmas Resort in Honda Bay for the following day and ended up having a wonderful time there. I would strongly caution potential guests from staying at Crystal Paradise until they seriously overhaul their facility maintenance and motivate their staff. Good luck!

Room Tip: Beware the private villas, as they are exceedingly expensive for the features they offer.
6  Thank Robert M
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Along with my husband and two friends, I booked to stay at this hotel for two nights from 29 to 31 December.  We booked direct with the hotel and paid a 10% deposit.  We were disappointed on arrival at the resort: we had expected given the prices something quite luxurious and instead the resort looked jaded and worn.  But it was when we were shown the rooms that we decided it simply was not worth the money.  The furniture was stained and dated and the bathrooms clearly hadn't been renovated since the 80s.  When we pointed this out to the staff, they were clearly used to this kind of feedback.  We said that we didn't want to stay and accepted (although we were not very pleased) that we wouldn't get our deposit back.  However, we were then informed because we had 'cancelled' the booking that the full amount for the two nights would be charged to our credit card regardless! Over the past few weeks, we have tried to resolve this amicably but our emails have simply gone unanswered.  We therefore now want to warn future guests about the poor quality of the accommodation and customer service this hotel offers.  We ended up staying at the Macapuno Beach Resort (just 10 minute drive away) which was one of the best hotels we have stayed in and cost a third of Crystal Paradise.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Beijinger00
Reviewed February 16, 2013

The great thing about this place is that it's set up to be a getaway destination for couples. The room was comfortable and the villa we stayed in had a great pool and waterfall. The hot tub outside didn't work, but we had a jacuzzi in our room. The customer service is amazing, making sure that you feel welcome from the minute you get out of the van. There aren't a lot of people, so it's not noisy and it's right on the beach so you can always go for a walk there. The spa also was really nice, but we never visited the winery.

However, the food situation was not very good. This hotel isn't near anything else, so you pretty much have to eat at the hotel every meal. They were out of a lot of liquor and certain dishes during our stay. At this "winery", you cannot order a glass of wine, only a bottle. Furthermore, the public pool was unusable and looked quite dirty.

I felt that they were always trying to get us to go on a tour or check out the spa etc. I mean, there isn't much else to do, so you DO really want to do those things, but I found them to be a bit overpriced considering what you get. We did the Turtle Island Tour (70.00USD each), which had no turtles...but the island itself is really nice for swimming on the beach. The lunch they provide is really good though on the tours. We also did the Estrella Waterfalls (40.00USD each) which was very nice as well, and I recommend taking the extra hike up to the hidden waterfalls. I think it's just that you're driven to these places and fed. The round trip van transfer(50.00USD-25.00USD each way...per person) takes two hours.

As a bookworm, I really liked the huge selection of books you can borrow, and they have lots of other games and things you can do like ping pong, badminton, pool, lots of board games, bikes and kayaks to borrow. They really do make an effort so that you enjoy yourself, and take care of you. Everyone is very friendly, but keep in mind the remoteness of the location.

Room Tip: The villas are really nice, and seem to have the only working pools.
2  Thank Nilly77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Narra
Floral Villarosa
Floral Villarosa
#3 of 50 in Puerto Princesa
Sheridan Beach Resort and Spa
Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa
Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princ...
#6 of 50 in Puerto Princesa
Astoria Palawan
Astoria Palawan
#9 of 50 in Puerto Princesa
Daluyon Beach and Mountain Resort
Dos Palmas Island Resort & Spa
Dos Palmas Island Resort & Spa
#8 of 50 in Puerto Princesa

Been to Crystal Paradise Resort & Winery? Share your experiences!