“Wonderful Acomodation - excelent food - fantastic host”
Review of Pension Sakuraya

Pension Sakuraya
Ranked #22 of 132 B&Bs / Inns in Shimoda
Sydney
“Wonderful Acomodation - excelent food - fantastic host”
Reviewed January 25, 2010

This guesthouse is a gem. We had a western room with an ensuite bathroom. It is spotless with a lovely view over the bay. Mr. Yamamoto the owner speaks excellent English and will fetch you from the train station or bus terminus. He also was extremely helpful with advising use where to tour on the IZU peninsula. (We hired a car). The best was the food. He is a master chef and every meal was better that the previous one, an absolute highlight. The guest house also has excellent laundry facilities. We strongly recommend this friendly, clean and warm guesthouse to all.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank EricJ123

Business
bostonvianj
Reviewed February 26, 2009

This review is long overdue.

In July I stayed at the Pension Sakuraya with my boyfriend and we really enjoyed our stay.

Mr. Yamamoto, the owner of the pension, was extremely friendly and helpful. He made us feel comfortable and at home in the pension.

The accommodations are nothing special and it is a good walk from the beach but the service was exceptional. Overall, it was an incredible value and a very memorable experience.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank bostonvianj
Pays de Gex
Reviewed November 8, 2008

you really feel at home at pension sakuraya. Mr Yamamoto and his wife are very kind and helpful and speak good english. Their kids did show up from time to time but were extremely quiet. We stayed there for 2 nights as a group of 9 friends - there was no other guest at that time so we had the whole pension just for us ! it was very cosy at night and we used the restaurant to play card games, just as we would have done at a friend's place. The highlight of our stay must have been the dinner, one of the best we had in our whole 10 days japan holiday: an excellent local plum wine as an aperitif, followed by delicious home cooked dishes: our main course was a fantastic sirloin steak, surrounded by lots of smaller japanese dishes. The breakfast was excellent as well - if you don't mind eating fish and rice in the morning, I warmly recommend the japanese breakfast, it's a little different every morning and really to die for. We had a western room which was fine, though the bathroom is really tiny (it's a one-piece plastic capsule containing the sink, shower and toilets). The access to the pension is really well explained on Pension Sakuraya's website, you can't get lost ! Beware however of the really steep road between the bus stop and the pension - it could be an issue for people having walking difficulties or a lot of luggage.

• Liked — the kind family-style welcome, the food
  • Disliked — the steep road leading to the pension, the small bathroom
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank kuri-chan
Danville, CA
Reviewed May 24, 2008

My wife and I stayed at this wonderful inn and enjoyed it immensely. I found their extensive website by accident (just Google it) and I was sold on it immediately. It was clear that they wanted to offer all the help and service possible to provide for their guests - and their command of English assured me that I would be able to learn more about Japanese customs since it would be easy to speak with them. All of this proved to be the case during our 4-day stay.

The food was authentic and delicious (some of it from their own garden), the rooms and facilities were immaculate, and the friendly service was memorable. Meals are optional but must, of course, be arranged in advance and can be either breakfast or dinner or both on any given day. Both Western and Japanese style rooms are available, but only the American style rooms offer a private bathroom (which is a bit small and would be awkward for a "large" person).

The location is quiet as it is a few minutes walk up a lightly used road from the main coastal road where bus service is regular and easy.

I would recommend this charming "pension" to anyone who wants a more intimate experience than at a hotel.

• Liked — Great food and friendly hosts
  • Disliked — The bathroom was a bit small.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Wes001
California
Reviewed May 20, 2008

If you want to relax, be in nature, see beautiful and historic sights, and be around kind, warm, hospitable people, this is your place!

Yamamoto-san and his wife speak perfect English and give their all to provide you with your favorite foods and drinks, Japanese or western. They have great ideas for places to see and are most helpful in every imaginable way. They are university educated in international business, and met each other while they were ballet dancers traveling the world, years ago. (I got them to show me their photo album from their ballet days, how cool!) They now have two lovely daughters, a son, and this great pension by the beach. The baby referred to in the previous post, Yuuki, is now older, mostly quiet, and delightful! I heard him cry only once, for about 2 minutes, out of four days there. I made him a paper airplane and he played with it for hours. So don't let his presence deter you!

Pension Sakuraya has both western and Japanese style rooms. My husband and I stayed in a western style room with a view over the ocean. The dining room also has a great view, and both breakfast and dinner can be enjoyed their. The food was delicious! There is also a hot Japanese bath, or furo, on the lowest level, for use in the evening. A true delight.

The beach is a quick walk down the hill, with views of Oshima and other islands. The Shirahama shrine is within a close walk. There is also a bus stop just down the hill, where frequent buses connect you to downtown Shimoda and many interesting and beautiful sights. We particularly enjoyed the Kawazu seven waterfalls, which are in a beautiful mountain gorge. At the bottom of the falls are several onsen hot mineral springs to enjoy, as well as restaurants. A great treat.

People from all over the world stay here, and if you are inclined to meet them over a meal, this is a great place to do so. Overall, a relaxing and enjoyable place to stay, a happy place.

There is also a coin laundry and internet hotspot on site.

I was not there in summer, but I hear the beach is great for swimming and surfing.

• Liked — The owners, the beach nearby, the furo hot bath, the food, the help finding sights, the environment, the people we met there
  • Disliked — our private bathroom was a bit small
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank EasyGoing77
Sapporo, Japan
Reviewed October 23, 2006

Subject: Sakuraya, Shirahama, Shizuoka
Location: Shirahama, Shimoda, Shizuoka
Title: Family guesthouse near the beach
ID#: 5982497

I stayed here for 3 days to recuperate after a LOOONG summer of work. Loved it -
apart from the owning family's noisy baby...he's cute but noisy at night.

Pension Sakuraya is up the hill from the beach and bus stop (5 mins), bright, modern and really clea
n guest house - both Western and Japanese rooms. I stayed in one of the J rooms,
which had two windows over the green valley...very quiet. (mostly)
Yamamoto-san and his wife speak English and are really sweet people - easy booki
ng via their English website.
Dinner was good for the price - small steak/soup/salad and home made plum wine..
.breakfasts of fish/rice/salad...
They have a terrace with views of the sea...

Only downer was that their baby son is very noisy - he stays up far too late at
night and runs around the kitchen and dining room...my bedroom was just above th
e kitchen...

But - I really relaxed, they did everything to make me welcome - very popular wi
th Tokyo-based ex-pat families - there isn't much food in the village nightime -
but I found one good restaurant on the mainroad near the Prince Hotel. Delicious
Caesar Salad!

• Liked — Friendly family and the beach...beach...beach
  • Disliked — The baby at night!
  • Tips/Secrets — Take ear plugs!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo