“Old but not attractive”

Shimoda Tokyu Hotel
Ranked #3 of 67 Hotels / Ryokan in Shimoda
“Old but not attractive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed this hotel during Christmas holiday. They had only few rooms available and high prices because of holiday season. I wouldn't stay there if i had any other choice considering the price.

Hotel is very old, building, furniture, rooms, elevator, everything is so old and considering Japan, i think it is not maintained as i expected. In Japan even you go to an old place or stay in an old hotel, things look shiny or clean even they are old but not in this hotel.

The hotel is in a nice location and has a very nice ocean view.

The thing i enjoyed most is the Onsen. Like many onsens, you are not allowed to wear any clothes. In that freezing weather, spending time in the onsen and going out to the teras for cooling down was amazing.

Another thing i enjoyed was the breakfast. I've stayed in many hotels in Japan but this was the only one i came accross with chrerry tomatoes in the breakfast. They have both Japanese and continental breakfast. As a tomato addict, i had dozens of cherry tomatoes in the breakfast.

There are several restaurants in Shimoda so i would suggest you to go out for dinner and lunch.

They have a big parking lot for free, parking is not a problem here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Serhat G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wexford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed here in late October with our 2-year old daughter, as an escape from a week long conference in Yokohama. We had spent months searching the internet to plan our trip. Having stayed at the Shimoda Tokyu Hotel, we are glad we did invest so much time researching because it paid off. Don't be put off by the dated-looking outside of the hotel: we are learning that that is quite a common feature of (often nice) Japanese hotel (apart from the glitz and glamour in Yokohama).

In a nutshell:
- excellent service: staff took pleasure in welcoming us and making us feel at home. Genuine smiles all round.
- stunning views of the pacific and the little bay on which the hotel is located.
- we really enjoyed the onsen. Be prepared: no bathing suits allowed. Also note that the men's and women's onsens seem to alternate on a daily basis - nearly walked into the wrong one by mistake!
- we got good value for money (about 120 euro per night) by booking on Booking.com
- breakfast was amazing and included in the price - both Japanese and continental styles available. I don't really understand a previous review which stated that "breakfast choice was limited" - we made it our main meal of the day!
- Only negative comment: lunch + dinner are weirdly expensive (indeed up to >100 euro per person per meal) and not worth it.
- Instead, we opted for the very traditional noodle little restaurant, just on the right hand side at the start of the hotel driveway, i.e. at the bottom of the hill. Alternatively, you can choose the small pizzeria in the little hamlet just west of the hotel (in that case: take the steps down from the hotel garden, and turn right at the bottom). And there is plenty of choice in Shimoda (15-20 min walk or take the hotel courtesy bus which runs up and down continuously).
- We bought our (Japanese) lunch in the supermarket in Shimoda. Chopsticks, ginger and soya sauce provided free of charge at the till.

The immediate area is lovely to spend 1-2 days. We spent most of our time on the little peninsula (Shimado Park) just south-east of the hotel (due south from Shimoda). Highlights:
- the coastal path (concreted) that snakes around to rocks from the hotel to the Aquarium
- the Aquarium with the sealion and dolphin shows: a little pricey (1900 yen per adult) but definitely the highlight of our daughter's day
- the Japanese-style forest on the hill of the peninsula, with all the viewpoints
- watching all the fishermen at the eastern side of the peninsula, and watching the sea eagles snatch the disgarded fish
- There is also a cable car from the centre of Shimoda to a hill top, with a Japanese garden + temple.

If you are staying for longer, there are many more activities in the surroundings, but then you'll need to resort to bus / car.

As a finishing touch, upon check-out the staff gave us a little "gift": a Japanese lace bookmark with a note that said "Thank you for supporting us in these difficult time". Presumably a reference to the collapse in tourism in the wake of the tsunami a few years ago? A touching little touch.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with balcony with ocean view - we paid a little more for that, but the views were wel...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank RandRWexford
Tokyo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I really hate to trash a hotel where people are trying their best. But I will never stay at this hotel again. First off, it's 50 years old -- and it looks every year of it. There is nothing, nothing, nothing remotely modern about it. I thought that it might be fun having a "retro" experience, but that ran thin really quickly. And for the reviewer that thought that was part of its "charm" -- I really wanted to feel that way, but, I'm sorry, there wasn't any charm, zilch.

Okay, first things first: This hotel is not easy to get to. You have to take a train (not a bullet train, I'm sorry to say) a good 2.5 hours out of Tokyo to get to Shimoda. One thing you will start to notice about the train trip: there are over 10 tunnels you have to pass through. Personally I get claustrophobic, and knowing Japan (I've lived here for 20 years) and the occasional tunnel collapse (because of lack of maintenance), one starts to get nervous -- at least I did.

Once you arrive at Shimoda station, a van will take you up curving mountain roads, none which looked safe to me, till you arrive at the hotel. Once you enter you will get the idea that someone thought it would be nice to give the illusion that you are staying somewhere in Hawaii. Okay, that's all right, but that's all it is: an illusion.

The lobby was flooded with old Stevie Wonder music, which they played, non-stop for at least two days. I love Stevie, he's fabulous, but, I'm sorry, he wasn't at all right for "hotel lobby music." Now, you will notice a nice view from the lobby, and that helps calm nerves -- all the more reason for them to have provided peaceful, relaxing music, not "Golden Lady."

The staff was extremely lovely and nice and we were greeted in English (although we are a biracial couple, one member Japanese). A staff member took us to our room, which was "cooled" at 25 degrees C. Well, because we had western exposure, we got the afternoon sun. Since we were experiencing a day of Indian summer, the room was so hot I thought I was going to die. The instant the staff member left, I lowered it to 20 degrees C and set it as high as it could go. It took a long time to cool the room--which wasn't that big to begin with.

All right, let's talk about the room. We booked a room with what I think were two twin beds. I couldn't decide if they were twins or really small doubles. Anyway: The beds were old and uncomfortable. They came with one small pillow each. The Japanese like it that way, but Westerners do not. They did bring two more pillows right away, and were nice about it, so they get points there.

But.. the wallpaper was stained here and there, the refrigerator was stocked with nothing and was tiny and did not have a freezer area. The TV is situated such that if the two of you snuggle up in one bed on the side of the room closest to the door, then you can see it. For the person that has the window-side bed, forget it. Also, there was no internet in the room, at least that was my experience (although it did have internet, free, in the lobby).

The one thing the room did have going for it was a fabulous view. We were really fortunate that we had one incredible perfect weather day. So, that was a plus.

Let's talk about food. We decided to go to the Japanese restaurant. It has absolutely no atmosphere at all, none. The lights are way too bright and since people bring their children in and often let them scream, yell and run around, it can only be said to have had a "family" atmosphere. We ordered (or so we thought) a 6000 yen course (about $US60) each. It was the cheapest course without going a la carte. Now, the presentation of everything brought to the table was lovely, I'll give them that. I will not say that anything was that great; it was good, sometimes interesting, but never great. When it came time to pay, the waitress who took the order had apparently misunderstood what my partner said (in Japanese, he is Japanese!) and she brought us the 12,000 yen course, each! Now, there was no way in hell that we could have possibly known that. We didn't memorize the number of dishes they were going to bring. When it came time to pay, because my partner is Japanese, I acquiesced to his wishes and did not get into a discussion about the fact that the waitress was wrong. It was the most expensive meal I've ever had in my life, and it was not worth it. So, everything was prepared beautifully and served in a somewhat timely manner, but other than that, they don't get any points from me, at all.

Their breakfast: You can make your reservation for a room with breakfast, which is what we did. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels in Japan, and their interpretation of "Western" breakfast is almost always the same: runny scrambled eggs, undercooked bacon, slightly stale bread, weak coffee, corn flakes, canned fruit, and, fresh fruit in season. There is almost always a Japanese breakfast as well. This works great for anyone who is Japanese or who wants to try Japanese breakfast. Other than that, your Western choices are fair to middlin'.

Let's move on to the pool: The pool is on a different level than the hotel and you can only access it by walking down a steep path. I think this was an absolutely insane architectural choice and although it is a nice-looking pool, the walk there is not.

Guests: This last time in particular I saw more Westerners than I did Japanese. In particular there seemed to be a large contingent of Scandinavians, although I have no idea why. There were also lots and lots and lots of children -- young, screaming children. The only place I could find any sense of rest and relaxation was in my room. Draw your own conclusions.

Others: There are shuttle buses/vans which run about every 15-30 minutes from the hotel to the town center. There really, really isn't that much to do, but because Commodore Perry visited there, it does have some notoriety. We rented a bike in town and wandered around. Shops, hotels, restaurants, nothing spectacular.

So, in sum, if get a room that has a view, you might enjoy that. But, I'm sorry, there was nothing else to recommend about this place. However, if you have young children, it might be the best place in the world, as all the kids I saw seemed to be having a blast (although doing what, I don't know -- wreaking havoc perhaps?)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Davalon56
Kawasaki, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in may 2013 with my wife & 8 month old daughter,
Although I told them we r family & want a double bed, they gave us twin bed :-/
Which is only bad part to us,
Pool was under renovatation so we can't enter then,

Onsen is good, but only public,
So couple need to think twice,
Breakfast has a limited option for non Japanese,

• Stayed May 2013
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

This hotel is really hard to put into a category.

First of all it's expensive, even by Japanese standards. £300 a night expensive. That's £80 a night less than the Ritz Carlton in London by way of comparison. And the rooms are just poor. We have stayed in better equipped guest houses with nicer decor.

If you book, make sure you specify non-smoking (unless you are of course a smoker and want to smoke in your room). We got put in a smoking room initially, which made the decor dingier and more yellow - and our clothes smell.

Those elements of the stay aside, the hotel's management and staff do go to some efforts to be kind and helpful, and the facilities are good overall. As it is expensive to eat in the hotel (about $60 for one adult buffet), we have availed ourselves of the free shuttle bus into town to stock up on fruit, pot noodles etc from the Tokyu store there, and to eat in Shimoda. A cab is about $10 if you miss the shuttle or want to come back after the last one has returned. We were also impressed by the vending machines in the hotel serving hot chips, chicken nuggets and fried noodles.

The pool is great and a hit with kids; there's also a toddler one. Down some steep steps is a small beach in a cove that is excellent for kids, with shallow water and few waves (it's patrolled). There's a beautifully friendly cafe here too, that serves great coffee and cheesecake. You can just about walk up the hill and around the headland to larger beaches, though we flagged taxis, where there are more facilities and bigger waves.

The hotel is slightly reminiscent of the one in Dirty Dancing, with a programme of events and an air of faded grandeur. "At Kellermans we come together, singing all as one" has been in my head the whole time we've been here. But, overall, we haven't had a bad stay (though the accommodation itself is dreadful value for money) and it's been a relaxing end to a hectic couple of weeks of temple-hopping in Japan. And the views are of course stunning.

Room Tip: Non-smoking rooms are cleaner and brighter, but more kids are on these floors so they can be noisier...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Stockholm
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I know many has said that the hotel is dated and yes it is but I think it is part of it's charm. It felt a bit like being transported back in time. It is a family hotel with lots and lots of children. It ha a nice atmosphere and the staff is beyond friendly all dressed in some kind of Hawaii shirts. We loved staying here.

The restaurants have good food but expensive. We thought it was worth it. For us it was a couple of days relaxing touring around. The on,y disapointment was breakfast. They don't have much options for us western people but then most people staying here are Japanees. One evening we had a Japanees bbq in the garden, it was very nice.

I agree that they do not speak much English but they try as good as they can and they try a lot.

The swimmingpool is nice and with a pool restaurant that has small dishes for resonable prices. The pool was crowded and evyone has a swimming ring or something els that floats so it gets even more crowded. I loved it, something different and everyone is so polite. There is free internet in the rooms and in the hotel but not around the swimming pool. There are washing facilities with both washing mashines and dryer. They were very popular with so many families staying. We had a good time. I could complain a bit on the cleaning. There was still toothpaste in the sink after they had cleaned and rubbish they hadn't cleaned.

And as many has said, the view is extraordinary and we were lucky and got a corner room.

Room Tip: We had 538 and it was a corner room with sea view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for three days. The pictures on their website do not tell the whole story for this hotel. The view in the photos are true and the views are AMAZING!!! However, the room is incredibly outdated. The rooms are very big, but the beds are uncomfortable. Also, there were only twin beds available. The staff is very helpful, but their understanding of english is very limited. I would suggest using your english to japanese phrase book when possible. Also, the breakfast buffet was not very good and since you are up and away from everything, you don't really have other options.

We stayed at the pool one of the days we were there and that was very nice. This place was nice, but beds were not comfortable and it was not very modern. The wifi was only available in the lobby and often times the signal was not very strong. If I had to do it over I would look for a different hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple