All reviews private bath japanese breakfast japanese summer sea breeze onsen hotel seafood guest rooms surfers beachside baths taxi gender waves yen tattoos shampoo
Selected filters
Reviewed July 9, 2018

I had an oceanview room with the plan including breakfast and dinner. The food was amazing each time. I could sleep with the sound of the surf and the sea breeze rolling in. The staff were super helpful. I had made a mistake in my Japanese (twice, in fact,) and both times the staff came to my rescue, even when it was completely my own fault. This was only a short trip, but I will definitely be back again for a longer stay.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed June 18, 2018 via mobile

Onsen only:
We did the private onsen for one hour and it was amazing. The onsen was a perfect temperature and the room to get ready in was great. The shower and shampoos were excellent.
The view over the beach was amazing

Date of stay: June 2018
Reviewed February 20, 2018

This was my first stay at Shimoda Yamatokan. The access was easy, close to city center. The guestroom was large with nice view of the beach and ocean. Our room had private onsen bath on the balcony that made our stay more special. The bathroom was spacious and our room also offered a nice living room and balcony both facing the ocean.
Food & Beverage was fantastic. They offered private dining room and our meals excellent. There was so much food.
The overall staff service was great. I could tell that the hotel spent time training staff and focusing on good customer service.
I noticed some areas of wear and tear but I rate this hotel high because I noticed that they went into great extent to think about overall customer experience and the staff delivered.

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for one night. It was a awesome stay. We had a room with private onsen. The room was spacious enough with a stunning seaview. Not only the seaview was stunning but also the beautiful tranquil beach and sea breeze. The BBQ dinner was delicious with good seafood except the lobster was a little less fresh. I regretted that we had too short stay and the weather was not good the other day so we didn't have chance to go for a beach walk. The service was excellent too. Next time may come back in summer time. Definite recommend .

Date of stay: January 2018
1  Thank siutingm
Reviewed July 8, 2017 via mobile

We stayed at the Shimoda Yamatokan for 3 nights at the end of our 2 week trip to Japan. Having visited cities we craved some r&r and through a bit of pre-trip research found the area of Shimoda to be exactly what we were after - a secluded haven just 3hrs by train away from the energy of Tokyo.

If all you want to do is relax then this place is ideal. If you want to venture away from the hotel you may struggle as the area isn't really set up for that.

From the moment we arrived via the free hotel shuttle bus direct from Izukyū-Shimoda train station the staff welcomed us warmly and spoke good English whilst being appreciative of our attempts at basic Japanese (hello/thank you etc...) on arrival we were given a brief orientation of the accommodation and issued with our Yukatan's. We opted for the Ryokan room and Japanese breakfast & dinner package which was great - you have to go with it and be happy to eat fish and rice for breakfast to get that authentic experience!

All rooms have a view of the gorgeous sandy beach which was constantly being surfed on throughout the day. The hotel also offers private onsen (Japanese bathing baths) which can be booked and paid for at the front desk each day - we opted for these rather than the free gender split public ones situated on the top floor.

We got the impression that this is where Japanese people come to unwind and that was something that appealed to us - as a result we were pretty much the only westerners on site.

Great stay and a great addition to the end of our 2 weeks in Japan.

Date of stay: July 2017