All reviews raw fish sashimi silky spring onsen bath station japan
Selected filters
Reviewed April 17, 2018

Yes, the location is not really convenient, that means you can really spend time to put down everything and enjoy the hotel. Room is WONDERFUL, Onsen is WONDERFUL, meal is WONDERFUL, Service is WONDERFUL. I hv to say this is the best, not one of the best, experience I ever hv in Japan.

Room tip: There is special offer for only ONE reservation daily, who can upgrade the room and meal. Try to ask during reservation.
Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank KevinL50
Reviewed December 24, 2017

I booked this onsen last minute for a trip with my partner and we were not dissapointed!

It's about 20 minutes taxi (4100 JPY) from Shimoda station through some beautiful countyside.

I had booked a room with a private onsen and on arrival was dissapointed they had given us a room with a small onsen bathtub as opposed to a wooden onsen pool. However when I explained to them (in English using photo's from the website) that I wanted the wooden style they switched rooms and all was fine!!

The facilaties are great. Along with the private onsen in our room, they also have 2 great onsen buildings, both with outdoor onsen pools, onsen jacuzzis, sauna and good showers.

The onsen water is like nothing I have ever experienced - it really does leave your skin feeling silky smooth due to the high alkaline levels. Its also not too hot which is good for me!

Breakfast and dinner were both lovely (lots of fish) and the staff very attentive and helpful.

It was expensive (75,000 JPY for 1 night), maybe next time I wont get the private onsen as its a total luxury, but will definitely be back.

Room tip: If you get a private onsen room, you need to specify if you want a wood style or bathtub style
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2016 via mobile

Such a beautiful onsen hidden away in the hills. We went by car & access is via an extremely narrow little road up through the mountains - it's so tucked away you'll wonder if you are in the right place. We were welcomed by the most hospitable hotel staff. We had three room each with different floor plans. All very spacious with own onsen in the room. Kannon onsen also has produced a range of their own skin care using the low ph onsen waters. There is a full range of the skin care to try during your stay & they are also available to purchase in the lobby store. We had the most amazing Japanese dinner and breakfast with very generous servings of sashimi, fish & locally sourced vegetables. The owner of the onsen - third generation of the same family who found the hot spring - came personally to meet us over dinner and also came to see us off when we were leaving.
There are two onsens. A public bath and one only for hotel guests both with a Rotenburo (outside bath). The water is sublime and leaves your skin silky smooth. The onsen water is drinkable. They also bottle the water to sell.
I can't recommend this onsen highly enough. My family has been three times and I can see why. We are sure to go back.
There was an English speaking staff member too if you don't speak Japanese.

Date of stay: January 2016
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2015

The hotel is tucked away in a hilly location about 25mins drive away from Izukyu shimoda station.

We have booked a basic room with attached bathroom but were upgraded to a room with a private hotspring bath.

The onsen and dinner is the best I have had. They have two onsens - the onsen located at the outdoor pavilion away from the main building opens from 11am to 5pm while the other onsen located within the main building is open from 7pm to 11am.

Both onsens are very nice, the indoor onsen area also have high ceiling and the temperature of the onsen is just right for onsen newbie like me ( meaning it is not too hot even for the indoor onsen). From a poster, we noted that the hotel onsen is ranked top 28th onsen in 2014.

Dinner consists a wide variety of food including hotpot, lobster sashimi and tempura. They also provided guests with a wasabi plant for you to grate your own wasabi sauce.

Please note that the staff don't speak English but notwithstanding the language barrier, service was excellent.

Upon checkup, the hotel staff also gave us two bottles of their drinking spring water and two bottles of spring water face wash and lots of samples.

The only issue we had was that the sound insulation of the room was not as good and we could hear the floor creaking when people in the room above us walked.

Date of stay: April 2015
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank joannal159
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Came here with my husband only to stay 1 night in the middle of winter during a trip to Tokyo, and wished we had booked for longer! The onsen is tucked away and you do have to go out of your way to get there, but it was worth the effort and expense. We were upgraded to the VIP room which has beautiful, very spacious, comfortable and spotless, with 2 private onsen baths and a terrace with a view of the serene forest. Their selling feature is the naturally alkaline water which is silky soft and smooth and drinkable, and great for the skin and general wellbeing. We are both onsen enthusiasts and this place is the best we have experienced in terms of water quality & overall accommodation.

Dinner was delicious and fulfilling. The specialty is the local seafood and home grown vegetables and fruits some of which are grown on the property with the onsen water. We even overheard other Japanese visitors commenting on how different and tasty the produce is.

It is worth getting some of their popular skincare & beauty range that is made with the alkaline water to bring back home.

Interesting note is that there is a bottling plant located near the onsen as their water is sold as health water to certain vendors in japan. Upon leaving, each guest is given a bottle for the journey home.
The stay was relaxing and refreshing and felt like a health retreat.

Due to our short stay and because we already had private baths in the room, we did not use the shared onsens, but the view and atmosphere are amazing.

Would love to return again!!

Room tip: More privacy on higher floors but also more expensive. Worth splurging for a room with own onsen bath - the water is so nice you may end up being constantly in and out of it.
Date of stay: January 2013