All reviews beautiful sunrise tempura hot springs shirahama beach combination izu onsen
Selected filters
Reviewed December 23, 2018 via mobile

Stayed one night at this hotel during our drive around Izu. Wished we stayed longer cos the experience was awesome.

View from the room was awesome and as with other ryokan type accommodation, we had a wonderful kaiseki dinner experience.

Hotel was reasonably priced including the dinner and breakfast which were both very generous in terms of portion of food. We were definitely well fed!

The wonderful view from the hotel room topped it all! Would recommend to arrive earlier than 5pm so as to see the sunset view from the comfort of your room

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2018

Stayed three nights at Hotel Izukyu with my family of four. Everyone loved the hotel. Great location with beautiful views of the beach. Hotel provides shuttle every half-hour to Shimoda Station in mornings (08:30-11:00) and from station in afternoon (14:30-17:30). There is also a local bus stop on road in front of hotel, with buses providing transit to Shimoda and other locations.

Check-in was easy and the staff showed us to our room. We stayed in a traditional Japanese room with a fantastic view overlooking the pool and the beach. Our room had a bathroom with tub/shower, toilet, and sink. There was also a separate vanity with a sink. Room also had a small fridge and hot water kettle. The staff preps the room for sleeping (i.e., adjusts furniture and lays out futons, comforters, and pillows (they also put away bedding and reset room in the morning). Robes and slippers are provided and you can wear these throughout hotel...even to meals!

We had half-board included (breakfast/dinner) and the meals were fabulous! Breakfast is a combination of western and Japanese foods. Also have coffee, juices, and tea. Dinner is quite the experience. More food than I expected and a great variety of Japanese cuisine...sushi, hot pots, steam box, tempura, desserts, cooked fish, salad, pickled vegetables. My kids did not like sushi, so the staff graciously prepared cooked items for them.

The beach is across the road from hotel, but it is only a 2-3 minute walk. There are three different crosswalks close to road entrance to hotel. There is also a 7-11 that is located next to hotel road entrance.

Misc: Wi-Fi throughout hotel (rooms, lobby, pool area). There were two staff members who spoke very good english and a couple who knew enough to assist us with questions. Most of the other staff knew some basic words which, with my extremely limited knowledge of Japanese words/phrases, was enough to navigate most questions. The onsen was great, with inside and outside areas (there are separate onsens for men and women).

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank geomagnus
Reviewed June 3, 2016

Nice hotel...very pricey for what they offer. No Valet, no Bellhop, no internet. No one speaks English. Great food. Great location. Excellent 5 course meal restaurant in the hotel. The location is absolutely perfect for the beach. The beach is great for surfing and boogeyman board. You do have to walk down the hill and cross the road to access beach. Lots of little eateries along the beach road. This beach is definitely off the beaten path.

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Denver S
Reviewed May 31, 2016

First time staying here for business. I loved the dinner we were provided, a knock-down-drag-out Traditional Japanese meal with all the courses and trimmings. Tempura, Prawns, Miso, Green Tea, stuff that I didn't know what it was but it was amazing and beautifully presented. The onsen (while I'm not sure if it was a licensed true onsen or just a public bath) was delightful. In particular, the outside onsen where you could better regulate your body temperature.

The rooms are traditional Japanese tatami mat rooms -- but with quite a spectacular view. If you aren't used to sleeping on the floor next to people, get over it. They have comfortable futons - it's better for your back, too.

Room tip: Get one with a view... definitely.
Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed November 8, 2015

My girlfriend decided to take me from Tokyo to shirahama as I have never visited it. She chose this hotel, and I was very happy that she did. I believe the best part about it was the swimming pool that sits at an amazing location in front of the beach. And the beach is a walking distance of 2 minutes.

Facilities a bit dated like many said. I didn't like how they lock the doors after 12. I remember we were super hungry and we were not able to get to 7/11 because doors were locked. No one was sitting at the front desk to open doors for us.

Also dinner was good but not so many choices

But location really tops it all.

Date of stay: December 2014