“Fantastic choice for a relaxing break”
Review of Soulton Hall

and 1 more site!
Soulton Hall
Ranked #3 of 4 Wem B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 14, 2009

Friendly and well run. The building is amazing. Had a two night stay, food is great, was really relaxing in lovely countryside. The house is rather old, but the bathroom was really modern, obviously re done recently which was great.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Smiley09

Reviewed April 20, 2009

I recently booked Soulton Hall entirely to celebrate my 40th birthday with my 20 closest friends. We had an amazing Easter weekend in this beautiful house with its magnificent rooms. The Ashton family made us feel incredibly welcome and tempted us with amazing homecooked food. I cant wait to go again !

• Stayed: April 2009
2  Thank sinderella3
Reviewed August 24, 2008

Just stayed one night (wished it could have been more) but had a fantastic meal. The five of us all enjoyed the stay and meal, accomadation excellent and the warmth of the Ashton family great. The meal was superb "really good tasting food"and the choice we were allowed excellent. Fantastic find hope to return someday.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank SeaGill
Reviewed July 28, 2008

Me and my boyfriend visited Soulton Hall to celebrate it being two years since we had met, and had a really fabulous weekend. On arrival we were served coffee with home made biscuits, and then shown to our room by the owner. We were in the Deakin room; spacious; huge princess and the pea style bed; and lots of windows that opened out and showed all the countryside around and let in all the lovely noises of birds and animals. We had a beautiful dinner, 3 fantastic courses (we had to have a break to lie down between main and pudding as we were SO full) in a candlelit room, again with fantastic views overlooking the gardens. We went for walks in the grounds of the hall, into the farmers fields and by the mound that dates back to just after 1066, and all in all came home so chilled out and rested. If you are coming here make sure you order dinner, it is extremely good value. We paid circa £200 for our room, dinner, and breakfast. They didn't charge us extra for coffee or juice before we left, a really nice touch. We felt as if we were staying in someone's home: which we were as the family do live in the house. It takes a lot for me to fully unwind and chill out when I do leave Manchester and head off into the country, but here I really had no choice and welcomed the slow pace and step back in time offered by Soulton Hall.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank tangledlady
Reviewed March 2, 2008

We have just returned from our second visit to Soulton Hall in two years.

Both visits have been totally magical. Welcome very genuine: on my second visit, I truly had the feeling of visiting friends.

One of the other reviews says that Soulton is clearly cherished as a family home. This is obvious and it shows in everything.

There are rooms the hall itself (four or five in total), and some others in the coach house annexe in the garden. We’ve stayed in the main house on both visits. It’s worth doing this if you can, I think, because the house is a stunning Elizabethan manor house with stone windows, leaded pains, oak floors etc. Fabulously romantic. Admittedly the coach house might be good too, but I the price difference isn’t much and they can’t possibly have the character of the hall.

Since the our last trip, they have taken on a chef to help with preparing the meals. I was a bit unsure about this because I remembered the delicious country-style food cooked by Ann Ashton from last time and hoped that this was still available. The new chef’s cooking is good too and broadly along similar lines, so no worries there in the end.

The dining room was exclusively candle lit for dinner (I think this is an addition from the last visit.. not certain though). It was reassuring that, when they brought coffee, one of the family quizzed us about how we’d liked our dinner to confirm that standards were as good as or better than last time, since we’d been before and they had got a new chef.

Only two minor gripes: (1) the TV only did analogue terrestrial channels and it was an older tube model, also no remote; (2) the bedside lamps were not sufficiently powerful to be able to read comfortably in bed. These are irritating things really because the rooms are lovely and it is silly to let them down with things that can be easily sorted out. I did mention this.

Finally, I was really impressed to see the improvements the Ashtons have made between my two visits: there seems to have been work done on the garden and a project to find restore a Victorian barn by the house is largely finished now. We particularly enjoyed John Ashton’s boyish enthusiasm when discussing plans for the new bar in the barn conversion. Can’t wait to see what improvements are made between now and our next visit.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2007

I spotted this Hotel whilst scanning the Internet yesterday afternon. I was looking for somewhere quiet, classy but not too expensive. How lucky I was to stumble across this Hotel. We turned up early evening to be met by a very helpful doorman/waiter/barman called David. Nothing was too much trouble. He was friendly and certainly not pretenscious. The room was quaint with a big double bed and a cracking uneven floor. Wood panels on the walls were a great addition. The food was wholesome and plentiful and served by the owner - Mr Ashton. Our Vodka's were poured by hand and not by gadget! Breakfast in the morning was served by Mrs Ashton and was hearty. We had trouble moving from our seats afterwards! All guests have the chance to arrive early and wander through the extensive woodland surrounding the property. Its a pity that due to work, we didnt have time to take advantage of all the facilities. I cannot wait to go back again as its only 40 minutes from my home.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Willywill
Reviewed October 28, 2006

Stayed here for a weekend earlier this month and loved every minute. A fantastic Tudor building, set in it's own grounds next to a working farm. The bedroom, above the dining room, was one of the largest rooms we have ever had at a B&B, and had plenty of period features.
We had an evening meal there the night we arrived which was excellent, and the full English breakfasts were spot on. As the weather was mild the log fire in the lounge area wasn't lit but I can imagine what it would be like with a roaring fire ... bliss.
Would I stay there again ... like a shot!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple