“Wedding Party at Soulton Hall”
Review of Soulton Hall

Soulton Hall
Ranked #3 of 4 Wem B&B and Inns
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Wedding Party at Soulton Hall”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Sounds Interesting string quartet performed for a wedding reception party at Soulton Hall and were very impressed with the location and the high level of service there. Having played at many wedding venues in Shropshire and many more country-wide in the past twenty years, we felt Soulton has so much to offer as a premier wedding venue with great ambience and fantastic service.
We would highly recommend Soulton to brides and clients looking for a first class venue for celebrations. How fortunate we are to have this in Shropshire!
Anne Tupling (Director)

Room Tip: We did not stay in the hotel so unable to comment, however the wedding guests said all the rooms wer...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014

This stay was a birthday treat for my wife. On arrival we received a very warm welcome, were offered refreshments and made to feel at home. The staff were very attentive and helpful throughout our visit, always on hand to answer questions and offer advice. The rooms are decorated to a high standard and are very comfortable. We really enjoyed our dinner and plan to return again later this year.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I have the good fortune of being able to dine at Souton Hall regularly as I live fairly local. It is as my title suggests, a dining experiance which starts from the moment you are greeted at the door. The welcome is sincere and the service excellent,attentive but not overbearing. The food has never disappointed hence it remaining top of my list for dining out, something that no other establishment in Shropshire has managed to achieve. My only complaint......as I live local I haven't yet had good enough excuse to use the accommodation which, when spoken to guests I've met when dining there, do not disappoint. To summarise, a venue I would wholeheartedly recommend

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Verna T
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Having attended a wedding here, I would not recommend anyone to come here. From the guests arrival at the hall through to the evening reception the staff were rude, obnoxious and unhelpful. There was a complete lack of direction from the staff for guests subsequently we were left wandering around in the freezing wind and rain. Locked out of the main house despite the bride and groom being promised the use of it. And as for the food it was a disgrace. ....over cooked dry meats, two side plates of vegetables for a table of ten and lamb served as beef and vice versa. And smoked salmon supplied as gravalax. Sadly I could go on..........in short beautiful (if not a tiny bit grubby house).......beautiful location.........let down by a management team who don't careless if they spoil your wedding or offend your guests. Avoid.

• Stayed December 2013
5 Thank msbridge
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I have taken time reading other reports on this property and have come to the conclusion Wem must have two Soulton Halls because most of the reports totally conflict???? We obviously stayed at the extremely poor one, or it might be my standards are much higher than others. The older staff possibly the owners (the woman can be just rude) could really do with learning people skills and if that takes going on a course on how to talk to customers then that's what they need to be doing or employ someone to do the customer facing work for them. OK food, well to put it bluntly poor, walked into the dinning room in the afternoon to see the breakfast serials still out uncovered (cornflakes) only to find them still in the same place still uncovered the next morning. The dinning room was not used in the evening because the Wedding breakfast was being held in one of the converted barns. The beds mmmm if you like sleeping on concrete you will be ok. I could go on about a load of other things but I think you get the idea. I would not ever recommend this place to anyone either to stay a night or hold a Wedding reception. £156 for a room is a joke, I have had a weeks holiday out of the country for less and got much better service, better rooms, better beds, better food I could almost say McDonald's food would be better and I hate McDonald's. So in summery just don't do it.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank lordrwhoward
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

We had previously been to a wedding at Soulton Hall, this inspired us to book our wedding there for the following year.
The whole day was superb, and in the run up to our wedding day Anne and her team went out of their way to help and support us with our plans.
The venue was lovely, being grand but welcoming, with plenty of room for guests to spread out and enjoy the hall and function rooms.
The rooms were great for guests who stayed over, and the hearty breakfast in the morning just continued the previous days celebrations!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Matthew-Akers
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 20, 2013

This was my fourth mini-break at Soulton Hall, and once again it did not disappoint! The family that own and run this business were very friendly and professional. They have managed to retain the amazing character and warm atmosphere of the historic house and surrounding working farm, whilst also offering all the modern conveniences one would expect from a hotel (e.g. in my room there was a warm, powerful shower next to a delightful free-standing bath; I watched the news in the morning on a wall-mounted TV from a huge four-poster bed). I managed to dodge the December rain and get out for a couple of bracing walks in the charming fields during the days, and thoroughly enjoyed relaxing in the evenings in the sitting room with a book next to the log-fire. I am looking forward to coming back in 2014!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wem
Old Rectory Hotel
Hawkstone Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Weston-under-Redcastle
Pen-y-Dyffryn Country Hotel
Abbey Green Farm bed & Breakfast

Been to Soulton Hall? Share your experiences!