“Wonderful Place”

Ranked #3 of 4 Wem B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Place”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We had the most amazing time in Soulton Hall, the Tudor room is furnished with lovely antique furnitures and impeccable crispy white sheets and thick soft towels. Fire place not only fill the lobby with warmth but also wonderful smell. Delicious dinner -- wide range of wine choices from good value to special occasion bubbly -- My duck breast were perfectly done, pink and juicy. John and Ann are just wonderful hosts! They greeted us warmly, did not intrude when we played board games in front of fire place, but gave great advice when asked about where to go for hiking and running nearby, and we had interesting conversations from local weather, farming, history, generically modified crop to apache helicopters. This is a place with long family history and wonderful english hospitality which all make it very special.

1 Thank YiZ10022

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Return visitor annually for 7 years for long weekends and special family events
The location is certainly beautiful.
Charming historic house, warm and engaging welcome, good food and a great atmosphere in which to enjoy some of the beautiful Shropshire countryside.
Has always been a very enjoyable stay

Manchester
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We have been regular visitors over the past 10 years and have always found the accommodation to be excellent including Keepers Cottage. The family are very friendly and kind and always make our stay enjoyable and can't do enough for you. The food is always of a high standard. We shall certainlybe going back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We were a group of 12 very demanding diners who regularly visit many local restaurants and we had a flawless evening. The locally sourced food was generous and delicious - I recommend the smoked fish platter, the beef and duck in particular. The ambiance was lovely with elegant Christmas decorations and log fires - magical. Best of all, the service was highly competent and courteous, attentive yet discreet. A wonderful evening and highly rated by us all.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2012

A returning visit for my partner and I and still as charming as the first visit ( minus the snow!!)
Arriving early, we were suprised our room was ready for our stay. Greeted by Ann, who showed us to our room, which was just as charming as we both remembered.
After unpacking, we had coffee in the lounge, next to the fire and were met by John, Ann and Tim, a very pleasant and welcoming family, full of interesting and knowledgeable history of the hall and surrounding areas, could have chatted all day!!
We decided to explore the 50 acre woodland to the rear of the property, thoroughly enjoyed our 'returning to childhood' experience.
Dinner was once again amazing, with plenty of choice, presentation and attention to detail 'top draw' After dinner coffee enjoyed next to the fire, once again very homely feel
Cannot understand the negative comments on this site, very confusing. This was our second stay at Soulton Hall, with nothing but a warm and inviting atmosphere, the family and accommodation cannot be faulted, will definitely be making a returning visit, a gem not to be missed!
A massive thank you to Ann, John and Tim for making our return visit as special as the first.
Stay 15th December 2012

1 Thank minty487
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I had the privilege to stay at Soulton Hall for a few nights in early November, and it was everything I imagined of a wonderful weekend in the country. It was autumn, all the leaves were in transition, the visual landscapes were wide across the fields, each morning there was a light fog and each evening there was a long winter sunset. The family was cordial - we connected right away and I was able to have several conversations with Tim, one of the hosts, about the details of the property and my stay, and I immediately felt at home. It all made me so glad to get away, and I'd love to see it again in the early summer.

The buildings on site, the main hall and Soulton court, are gems of the national heritage and I could see it's incredible that the family has made them available to the public for guest use. The room I stayed in had many original features from its 16th century construction, but also many modern conveniences, a fashionable private bathroom and great heating. It was also very well-maintained and, I thought, could have met the high expectations of anyone unsure what to expect, and still leave them pleasantly surprised. At many moments I felt that I could have blinked and found myself staying in a different period, or I'd find myself surrounded by a different history, and what a great escape that feeling was from living and working in the urban doldrums.

I enjoyed several expertly-prepared meals by Soulton Hall's chef and catering staff, and found the group to be attentive and welcoming. I wouldn't have expected there to be a restaurant of this calibre without more attention drawn to it, but as I've written above, there were a lot of pleasant surprises. As I understand it, there are also several cottages on the property available for stay - other groups visiting the same weekend expressed great satisfaction with their choice. I was able to see one of them, the Keeper's Cottage, while given a brief tour of the property at one point in the weekend - it was nestled away in an old growth forest on the huge property, and I found it as charming as the main hall, but in the privacy and mystery of the wood.

If you've got someone special that you'd like to get away with for the weekend, or you need to give yourself a much-needed holiday - pack a few books, take a short train up from London or drive, its a world away! For me it was only about 90 minutes by train. It was clear that there were many interesting things going on here and I was delighted to be part of it for a few nights. I'll definitely seek it out again for a weekend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank July_away_I_Fly
ENGLAND
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Very recently enjoyed a lovely party night at Soulton hall.we invited 40 of our family and close friends and were treated to a real feast.The room was wonderfully decorated for the festive season.After Pre dinner drinks in the bar area sampling one of the local brewery's beers,the woods We entered the very homely function room.Our guests were soon buzzing with a superb 5 course meal being presented before them .Each course was a gastronomic feast not only to the eye but to the taste buds.The staff serving us were very efficient and courteous under the ultra attentive eye of son Tim Ashton who was particularly alert to all that was going on.In fact ,so good was the night that many guests did not depart too early happy to enjoy the company and the warm ambience created. It does not get and you could not get any better than the wonderful night we experienced .
Thanks to all the Ashton family for making it such a memorable evening Nigel &Gina Chesters

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank CHESSIE5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wem
Old Rectory Hotel
Pen-y-Dyffryn Country Hotel
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
#2 of 16 in Shrewsbury

Been to Soulton Hall? Share your experiences!