“Great lodgings in wonderful area of England”
Review of Soulton Hall

and 1 more site!
Soulton Hall
Ranked #3 of 4 Wem B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 26, 2011

I traveled from California to England to visit and spend time with friends in this area of England. While there I stayed at Soulton Hall. The room I stayed in was amazing, it was a very comfortable room with lots of character and it was obvious they had updated the bath. I think I was told the room as well as the house was a few hundred years old, so for me this was a great experience to stay in a place with so much history, and I didn't go without, the family running the place work hard to keep everything in good shape. The view from the room and other areas of the house was of sprawling farmland, very nice. The family and staff were very welcoming and they made me feel completely at home. They suggested great places to visit while in the area and made arrangements for different activities in the area. I would highly recommend staying at Soulton Hall and if or when I am back in that area of England I will definitely try and stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank Gary_B_CA

Reviewed June 16, 2011

Stayed for a long weekend in the carriage rooms next to the main hotel with old univeristy friends and their two children. One of the rooms has an adjacent dressing room that worked well as a room for the two children. The bathroom for this room was clean and modern and looked to have been recently upgraded. We stayed in the other large double room. In total there are just two rooms in this building so it worked really well for our party. The entrance to the building opens out onto open fields with views across to the woodland which we walked to from the door on Sunday.

Another great day out to recommend to fellow travellers who stay here is the Hawstone Park and follies. Lots of interesting things to see and entertain little ones although it is quite a walk so go prepared for that!

The Ashton family were very freindly and fed and looked after us all well with great advice on things to visit in the area.

A lovely escape for some country air and relaxation that I would definately recommend to others.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank GYPepper
Reviewed June 15, 2011

When the woman in charge slammed the door in my face, I knew we had to leave! We had only been there 3 hours. I had significant concerns about our room which I explained to her. There was no hot water. Cobwebs in the bathroom. The room was smelly. The furniture is marked and the carpet in the bathroom is rotting. The windows are dirty. The room has fake flowers despite the Hall having a lovely garden with its own flowers and vegetables. Its decor is better suited to Life on Mars in 1970s Manchester rather than a so called luxury hotel in 2011. There is nothing historic about the room we were given. It is c1970.

I said that the room was not good enough. She went on the defensive. At this place, they seem to think that we are doing them a favour. They seem to think that we are not customers with money to spend on a romanic weekend away. I have travelled in around 50 countries and have never left a hotel or B&B like this.

The room is £122 and dinner was going to be £74. With wine and other drinks we were looking at a total bill of around £250. We are happy spending this amount of money, but only at a luxury hotel. The room was not luxurious. It was shabby and dirty.

Don't go!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank mrdisapointed
Reviewed April 27, 2011

I stayed at Soulton Hall with my husband for two nights. It is a beautiful building. Our room in the main house was very good, complete with squeaky slanted floors and old beams. The view was magnificent. The local walks around the estate are to be recommended - especially the bluebell wood. Breathtaking. We had dinner one night and had the candlelit dining room all to ourselves. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The breakfasts are substantial and good qulity. The owners were very pleasant and welcoming and we enjoyed our chat re. the history of the building with their son. All in all we had a relaxing and mpost enjoyeble stay. It is a shame some people write such harh reviews. Yes, I'm sure if I wanted to 'nit-pick' I could find things to say, however, it is to be remembered that this is their home, and a beautiful one at that. Everyone has different tastes and expectations. A warm welcome, good food and a room in such a lovely building made our stay a real pleasure.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sugarpine
Reviewed April 5, 2011

From the moment we booked we were hoping that our stay would meet up to the details we had seen on the website and we were not disappointed once.
The house is magnificent with so much character and history.
The welcome and attention we received during our stay was perfect.
The rooms in the house were large ,clean ,warm and very comfortable.
The food was excellent.
The only sad part was having to leave.
We will be back.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cwtrwm
Reviewed January 4, 2011

We stayed for two nights. We had our dog with us, so we were accommodated in one of the stable blocks. The room was average, although to be fair on the website it does make the comparison between rooms in the main house and the annexes. Bearing in mind we had a large dog(standard poodle), we were happy with room. I therefore can't comment on the rooms within the main building.

It appears to be a family run concern. They work really hard to keep the place ticking over. The old house is magnificent. I only wish we had been given the opportunity to have a good look around it the interior.We only saw the main entrance hall, bar and dining room I'm sure the owners would have obliged if we had asked, but perhaps they could make that offer to the guests, after all that is the big selling point?

The food is excellent, we ate there every evening. The menu is adjusted each day, all the food is locally sourced. We really enjoyed it, a big thumbs up.

We also went walking on the extensive grounds to the rear of the hotel. I would suggest that they provide a more detailed sketch map of the local area, relating to the hotel, so that guests can get full advantage of the walking opportunities, without trespassing onto other land. Especially with the crop fields that need to be circumnavigated. It would just increase the enjoyment.

We spent a day over towards Grinshill and Clive. As a Shropshire Lad, it was great to be walking the shropshire hills and villages again. I recommend climbing Grinshill. At the top they have an outstanding viewing area, which affords a panoramic view of the county. They have provided a fixed map of the ground you can see, highlighting the towns and villages. Well worth the walk.

Overall we really enjoyed the stay. They should be applauded for their efforts in keeping a fine building open to the public. I think with some tweaking and perhaps a pause for breath to look closely at their guests and their needs, they can really make the hotel something really special, without any extra costs.

Thanks for the Xmas Card, nice touch.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jimmykranke
Reviewed October 23, 2010

The noise from the disco was so loud we may as well have been in the room. Whilst the room was really nice I feel the management have an obligation to the people staying in the rooms as well as those hiring the facilities for a wedding and should protect their interests.

• Stayed: October 2010