“Friendly welcome”

The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Atcham
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We have just stayed at the Mytton and Mermaid and loved every minute of it.We were looked after so well the room had lovely little touches such as the 'chefs treats' with your coffee and the comfiest bed ever!All the staff are so attentive and the food was amazing.The location by the river is stunning,we will definitely go back

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Despite being a wet and cold weekend, I had a lovely time at the Mytton and Mermaid, and would recommend it without hesitation. Room was lovely, the staff friendly, and the food great. Service was a little hit or miss, but well-meaning, which definitely means all is forgiven. Quick summary: loved it.

Now, before reading the rest, I'm not a tourist oohing at how quaint the place is and therefore looking past problems; I lived for many years within a few miles of the hotel, so am very familiar with this part of the world.

The building itself is lovely. We stayed in the old part of the hotel, in one of the rooms that overlooked the river. The room was spacious and clean, and the bed nice and soft. We were welcomed with a personalized card on the dresser and a couple of free nibbles.

Our rate included dinner, bed and breakfast. The breakfast is wonderful (bacon... yum) but the dinners were a little hit or miss. No serious mistakes, but a little extra smoothing here or there would have helped. My beloved's steak and ale pie top was a mis-handled piece of puff pastry which had failed to puff as it should have, making it very dense; a dessert was very 'bitty' pulled together from perhaps disparate things. These issues were small however, and we had a nice time both evenings in the cozy restaurant and bar. Such problems are easily overlooked, and you should remember that this isn't a pretentious London restaurant, but a relaxed country house. Take it for what it is, and you'll enjoy it. Staff were more than willing to address issues, were friendly and fun (when not too busy) and a good time was had by all.

I'm amazed that for someone who has lived so close for so long, I've never overnighted here before. I'm glad I changed that; it's a lovely break from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

Room Tip: Stay in the old art of the house if you don't mind steep stairs and the upgraded rooms are worth...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We came for a family wedding and had a good time. The food was excellent and the staff were very accommodating. The breakfast was exceptionally good. The only downside was our room which was fine but not outstanding. The bathroom was very cold and the towels were of poor quality and not big enough. However, we couldn't fault the hotel for providing a fantastic service throughout our stay and the wedding was very well done.

Room Tip: I'm sure if you pay more, it would be worth staying in the main building, but in the summer the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Stayed for a night in business. I was thoroughly impressed when I got there, the hotel looks magnificent.
I, like others walked to the restaurant as it appeared to be the entrance from the car park. In fact this was the restaurant and a lovely waitress took me to reception for a friendly check in including help with my luggage, which I declined.
My room was a single in the upper reaches of the hotel, up two flights of steep stairs with fire doors at the top of the stairs which made navigating with luggage a bit difficult.
The room, given it was small, was comfortable, clean and beautifully kitted out. Hard to access plugs though for my phone charger. En suite was also good.
Dinner was lovely and the restaurant had a vegetarian menu, which you have to ask for. The food was delicious, more pricy than other places, but you get what you pay for. The food came quickly and the wait staff were efficient until the time for the bill. I asked for the bill, left them my card and then they forgot about me. It took me ages to get them to return to my table, because the waiter and waitress were in the throes of chatting and hugging. When a waiter finally came he simply re provided me with the bill.
Had a poor nights sleep because it was so hot, then at 1am I was woken up with the loudest snoring in the world coming from the room next door...paper thin walls.
The shower was a bit of a problem because for the first 5 minutes, it went from luke warm to cold with the pressure also varying. I ran it for ages before it settled and was then fine. I suspect it may have been because it hadn't been used for a while.
When I went down for breakfast, it was the first time I noticed what a wonderful setting the hotel is in, right next to the river Severn and a park.
Breakfast was good, my first eggs florentine ever! Great coffee.
I would definitely stay again, but would choose a bigger and quieter room.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We stayed here last week Nov 2013, in one of the suites, which was very well decorated and full of character. We had our meal in our room, which was great - we have a small child, so this was very useful. Staff were really good and very accommodating. The room was warm and very comfortable. Unfortunately there was a party in the room under ours which was pretty loud until 2am - we could have complained about this, but didn't. Our 18month old was awake at 6 playing and this caused the guess in the room above to bang very loudly on the floor - which was a little uncalled for I thought. Of course this is nothing to do with the hotel. The food was brilliant and well priced. To sum up great little place to staff but the other guests on this occasion were a little inconsiderate

Room Tip: get the suite at the front with the river view - but make sure nothing is booked in the room underne...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed in the courtyard rooms which were well decorated and very clean. The only problem could be the noise, the rooms are round the edge of the outside courtyard area which has lots of seating right up to the windows of the rooms. In the summer when this area is used a lot don't expect to get to sleep too early. We could hear everyone's conversations outside while we were in the room! A much better option though than the local chain hotels

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Charlotte J
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I recently stayed at the Mytton and Mermaid hotel for a friend's wedding and I can honestly say that this place has it all. The setting of the hotel on the banks of the river Severn creates a dramatic background for wedding photos and waking up to the view every morning made me enjoy getting up! Breakfast was absolutely fabulous, a full cooked English breakfast with more trimmings on the breakfast table than i could have hoped for. I was totally surprised to find that this hotel only has a 3 star rating, as the food, atmosphere and comfortable bedrooms make it worthy of 5 stars. I can't wait to visit again! Thank you.

Room Tip: The superior rooms are worth the extra few pounds... Also, try the new a la carte menu.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atcham
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
#2 of 16 in Shrewsbury
Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury

Been to The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel? Share your experiences!