“Perfect Location, Perfect Stay”

The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Atcham
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We used the Mytton as our base when we caught up with friends in the locality.
The weather was kind which is always a bonus, but what it did mean was that we could take advantage of the extended outdoor seating which has appeared since our last visit. There are sofas, not only out on the front lawn, but also down on the banks of the River Severn.
We experienced meals all through the day, breakfast was lovely, a huge choice for lunch and the food in the main restaurant was exemplary for dinner. The staff were attentive and nothing was too much trouble. The reception staff were also incredibly helpful in planning our days out.
Our rooms were well appointed, clean with a country house hotel feel about it. The views from our room of the bridge and river were quite honestly stunning. With Attingham Park literally across the road for that morning run, the hotel is a great location as a base for the area.

We weren't aware but the adjacent cottage is also owned by the hotel and is available for stays, which would have been an ideal solution to our family and friends group. Will bear that in mind next time.

Room Tip: Go for the Mytton Suite if its available, or if you have a larger family see if the cottage is avail...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel

Reviewed August 8, 2013

The staff were very friendly and the food was excellent. However, the room was a bit of a let down after my previous 2 nights at bed and breakfast, which were both nearly twice the size (room and shower!), and half the price.
The facilities were reasonable though small, but the shower left something to be desired, in that if was very small and you had to descend a step (tiled) down to floor level. With wet feet a bit of care was needed. Of course there was a bath mat, but you could only put it on the step or the floor!
The bedroom was one of the ones around the courtyard, and doors seemed to be banging all the time during the day, and the room literally shook every time.
Would I stay there again? Probably not unless there are better rooms in the main building. I'd certainly eat there again,since the food was great and the staff very welcoming.

Room Tip: I slept in one of the rooms round the courtyard. Draw your own conclusions!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 7, 2013

we stayed here for one nite it was 150 pound .the room was dirty and the carpet had holes in it and iron burn marks in it needs updating the whole room .brekfast was disapointing to they only had one girl on who seemed very stressed running around on her own.the melon was dried up on the plate and there was not alot of choice .the breakfast when it came was disapointing to very small average dont think ill be back

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank will p
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed here Saturday 3rd August, i was part of the wedding party for my Sister. I also had the proud honour of giving her away. Anyway, I would like to strongly recommend this venue for any function/ purpose. Locally, its got great reputation, I know a few people who have either got married there or been to weddings. Apart from the idyllic and beautiful surroundings and the impressive building, bar and facilities, the service was great. Everything about the experience was first class. Seriously, the staff are real friendly and very professional. There's a real nice 'vibe' about the place, the staff massively contribute to this with their welcoming and friendly service. A really beautiful place, location and atmosphere.

I would strongly recommend this place.

Thanks, we had a really great time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I was checked in by the very pleasant receptionist and showed to room 1 which was a suite with large windows overlooking the gardens at the front. The bedroom decor looks a little tired but it's not bad. It looked very homely and it was clean. The tea tray had a really nice selection of fresh leaf tea's and coffees and the bathroom was clean, bright and spacious. The only downside was the music which seemed to be coming from the bar downstairs which puzzled me as it wasn't loud down there in the slightest. I don't know if it's where the speakers are on the beams which makes the bass carry through but it was too loud to ignore in the room even though in the bar itself it was easy to talk over. I mentioned it to the waitress who was looking after me outside (I chose to eat and work out there as the wife signal worked where I was and it was a lovely evening. One of the managers came across to say I could change rooms if it was too much but to be honest I was hoping I could stay where I was. Alas even with the TV on it was too loud to ignore so I reluctantly packed my stuff. I was shown to room 2 but the noise was exactly the same so I took a twin room in the courtyard which was pretty basic compared to the nice rooms in the main building. The TV bracket in the room didn't look very safe.
All the staff were really pleasant and friendly. The food was really good (with the exception of curdled milk in the jug at breakfast which was quickly replaced). I really enjoyed the eggs benedict!
I will be staying again in October so I will make sure I request a room in the main house, but not on the first floor.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I recently stayed here for a friend's wedding and although it is a pretty hotel the accomodation is ridiculously overpriced and as such you can't help but feel they are just taking advantage of the wedding being at the same venue. Our room was £110 a night and was tiny, literally a double bed with barely room to walk around it. Our room also directly opposite the wedding reception (4 meters) so don't expect a good nights sleep as you'll have to listen to the staff clearing up and moving tables around until 3am.

Take my advice and stay in a b&b down the road for half the price! A right rip off a real shame.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Lovely gardens, we had a table out side and front of house very attentive and wasted no time in taking our drinks order. Food was ok club sandwich was nice but the coleslaw was warm. My wife had the ceasar salad which was £13 fot half a grilled chicken breast and lots, I mean lots of baby gem lettuce. For Value I would say there are better places around but location and staff made lunch very enjoyable.
We will try again sometime soon for dinner and see how the experience compares.

• Stayed: July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atcham
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
#2 of 16 in Shrewsbury

Been to The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel? Share your experiences!