The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury(Shrewsbury)(Great Value!)
$65
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
$106
  • Breakfast included
The Shrewsbury Hotel(Shrewsbury)(Great Value!)
$55
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Shrewsbury Battlefield(Shrewsbury)(Great Value!)
$40
Travelodge
All reviewsattingham parkbanks of the riverhoneymoon suitenational truststeep stairsbar areawedding receptionwedding venuelovely eveningchocolate browniefriday eveningroad noisecouldn't faultfour poster bedlovely roombramble cottagecourtyard room
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Each month a friend and I lunch at the Mytton and Mermaid, but the last two visits were disappointing.
I gave them the benefit of the doubt for my December visit because there was a wedding going on at the same time so thought they must have been under some pressure.
However, on this occasion the meal was disappointing. Presentation average (below what I expected). Meat was fatty and the toasted bread just fell apart, too dry and over toasted.
Chips were good but not enough to excuse the rest of the meal.
Panacotta was sloppy - sorry but expected better.
One more chance then we will definitly be going elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Myttonandmermaid, Owner at The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

I was sorry to hear you did not enjoy your meal with us . Please let us know if something does not meet your standards and allow us to try and recify it.
We do try very hard to achieve customer satisfaction and it is always disappointing when we dont.
Please feel free to call me at the hotel to discuss this further.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is going to be a difficult one……

We decided to celebrate my wife’s birthday at The Mytton and Mermaid and booked a table for a Saturday night.

Although the restaurant and bar area were busy the welcome was warm and we were shown to a table in the corner (thankfully well away from a very noisy table of ten). A friend had left some flowers for my wife - they adorned the table and were commented on by the very friendly man who showed us to our places and by the very polite and attentive woman who took our order. I wasn’t sure about the choice of ‘muzak’ – I thought maybe The Everley Brothers and Marvin Gaye were a hangover from Valentine’s Night, a couple of days before.

We ordered tapenade and hummus as nibbles while we waited for our mains. I thought they were both a little bland – I wondered whether there was any anchovie in the olive paste. (I also thought that the garlic was missing until I bit into a sliver of it!). The bread was lovely.
For mains I’d ordered sea trout on a bed of samphire, potato and chervil cake and beetroot and my wife asked for the gratin from the vegetarian menu.

Mine was absolutely lovely (although there was no samphire – it had been replaced by spinach and I had apparently been given a rogue menu!). The beetroot gave the whole thing a beautiful earthy flavour which set off perfectly the potato and the ‘sea’ taste of the fish. The Hollandaise was just right and the little tomato concoction was seasoned to perfection. I loved it.

However, and here’s the confusion, my wife was given a bowl of cauliflower cheese. Plain and simple, cauliflower cheese with a few walnuts. It was served in an earthenware bowl with burnt sauce on the outside. It was cooked perfectly well, but that’s all it was and here’s the question: why, oh why, can’t a chef who is good enough to give me a perfect meal turn his obvious talent to providing good, tasty food without meat or fish? Why is it not possible to apply the same creativity, and palate, to a plate of vegetables? How difficult would it be to come up with some non-meat option that would go with the beetroot, potatos, spinach and Hollandaise that I enjoyed so much?

We recently ate at another restaurant not too far from Shrewsbury (our review is on Tripadvisor) where the chef is determined that all of his diners should have the same opportunity to sample his cooking. All of the dishes are served with meat or fish, or something else appropriate to the plate and flavours and suitable for vegetarians. My wife’s experience on Saturday left her feeling far from special, more as an afterthought in a busy chef’s mind.

Desserts were good. She had crème brulee, although she would have preferred it warm (how should it be? I love it anyhow!) and I had a marshmallow with three-way mango which was excellent.

Coffee was good and the truffles to die for (the best part of the meal according to my wife).
So, you see my quandary – mine was excellent, hers unacceptable. That’s why overall it was average, and it wasn’t good value for money. We filled in the feedback form and spoke to one of the staff – we were told our comments would be read. We left an email address and it will be interesting to see if anyone replies.

I have to say, the service was great (unlike some reviewers on here) so, come on Chef, get your act together and make my wife, and the rest of a sizeable chunk of the population, feel special!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just returned from an unforgettable meal. The standard of the restaurant is dropping rapidly. It was bad at Christmas and unbelievably has got even worse. I don't know if the chef has changed but the quality of the ingredients and the cooking has hit rock bottam and the chef obviously does not taste his food. There is a reason you do not see many prawn cocktails containing mainly anchovies encased in a claggy mayonnaise on a bed of tired and brown lettuce - it tastes disgusting. The other starter was lacking 3 of the stated ingredients on the menu The meat was tough and the cheese totally tasteless..All these courses are served at a premium price. It is like an accountant has gone into the kitchen and told them to dramatically increase the profit margins - which they have done by buying sub standard ingredients or not adding them at all to the plate. The staff are pleasant enough but now all seem to come from outside the UK , whereas before they were knowledgeable about the food they were serving - now the I doubt they even want to taste the food. Avoid like the plague as there are bettter places out there.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank simon e
Myttonandmermaid, Owner at The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

I was disapointed to hear about your visit to us and sorry that you did not enjoy your visit. We have a large team in the kitchen who strive very hard to achieve our two rosette standard. If we had been given the opportunity at the time to put any problems right we have been delighted to please.

The Prawn Cocktail you are referring to , sounds like our prawn caesar salad which would have a classice caesar dressing which does contain anchovies but feel the need to say catagorically no brown lettuce would ever leave our kitchen .

We have at present two Eastern European university graduates ( out of a staff of 80) who have Graduated in Hospitality and Management and speak fluent English with a thorough knowledge of our menus ,ingredients and products. We have always hired the best possible people for the job and will continue to do so.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We have visited the Mytton and Mermaid frequently either for a quick drink or a more leasurely meal. We usually enjoy the experience although the food has always been variable.
However, on this occasion we went for a Valentines night Supper and the experience was terrible. The meal was booked by a friend who was clearly embarrased by the whole thing. The foor was poor average at best, cooked OK and presented in a very perfunctory fashin. The serving staff were firendly but there did not seem to be aby communication between them and the kitchen. The waitress who took our order did not tell the servers who was eating what so we had to repeat our choices again when the food was served.
Worst of all, this was a very expensive meal - I suppose they charged more because of the event, and they had a folk singer who was ok but we were glad we had a table away from his amplifier.
Altogether not a good evening and we have now crossed the restaurant off our list!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank daddytommy

I am really surprized at your review. We served over 90 guests valentines night who all raved about their food, service and the musician . I really wish you had spoken to us on the night so we may have understood what had gone wrong and been able to help .
I am sorry that you did not enjoy the evening.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

a warm and well appointed cottage.
dining table for 12 plus a table in conservatory too.
heating so warm we had to turn it down! Biscuits and tea provided for arrival. The bonus of having the hotel with it's pub and restaurant next door makes for lazy self catering.

even though dogs are allowed we found no sign of dog hair or damage.

on the down side the bath floor is polished wood so very slippery when you get out of bath/shower onto a cotton bath mat.
the upstairs toiled seat and lid needs new fittings as it was askew and the seat had a habit of falling down whilst occupied!

the garden at front and back is enclosed which is great for pet owners and parents with children, however the gardener did let himself in through a side gate to the back gardento get access to the garden shed which meant we were not keen leaving the dog loose incase he returned.

the rooms are well appointed however I suggest the ladies take an extension lead to use with hair appliances

we would definitely return to this property and recommend it

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

I was so pleased you had enjoyed your stay . I will look at the extension leads for the hairdryers and the positioning of the dressing tables. Thankyou and we look forward to welcoming you back .