“Lovely Venue!”

The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Atcham
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Attended a family wedding and the whole day was marvellous, lovely setting and plenty of space to move about and sit or walk, the courtyard was especially pretty with its comfy sofas and chairs with their plump cushions and throws. The actual wedding service was in a very pretty room and the wedding breakfast was faultless, the waiting on staff were very good, glasses were never empty, they were courteous and most pleasant - the food was first class. It was lovely to move to have coffee and tea served in the courtyard. The evening hog roast was great, the lovely salads kept on appearing and everything was very generous. The ladies loos were very clean and well stocked with items such as hairsrpay etc. We stayed over and had a comfy room off the couryard, clean modern and again well stocked with tea, coffee and biscuits. The breakfast next day was first class, and it was nice to have coffee and tea flowing without having to ask for it. Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Beautifulworld1

Reviewed August 11, 2012

I recently attended a family wedding and have to recomend this venue. The food was absolutley faultless, we didn't have so much as an empty glass, whether we were drinking water, orange juice or wine. The waiters were efficient and obliging and worked really hard. The courtyard area was lovely to have our after dinner coffee served in, and later in the evening our hog roast .I didn't stay over, but other family members that did had a great nights rest and a good breakfast. The whole wedding day was well organised and well run yet relaxed and fun.
Well done!

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are useful when part of a wedding party, especially if you have young children, as y...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mrsp77
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Fabulous stay at a really beautiful hotel.
Furnishings, design and decor of the hotel and rooms was exceptional and inspirational.
Cuisine was to die for!
Service was very warm and friendly.
Would return again and again.

Room Tip: The only place to stay in shropshire
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We visited in July 2012. We had a few family members with us and the maitre d was fantastic. Went to the bar and the barman who served us was lovely. He, made us all laugh. Especially my grandmother! He did get one of our drinks wrong but he explained it was his first week and was very apologetic and went to fix the right drink but my husband told him not to worry and he would have whatever he had done. His service was second to none so we were not bothered by a little mistake. HOWEVER, when we went back to the bar, we were served by a different 'boy' who seemed more interested in talking to the kitchen staff and waitresses than serving customers. He approached us, yelled something at another member of staff and looked at us as if we were a real inconvenience.
The food, when we finally got it, was ok. If I was sitting in my local pub, it would have been great but after we had paid a ridiculous amount for our meals ect, it was very very disappointing. The whole place looked un organised, cluttered and because of the amount of dirty glasses, it looked DIRTY.
We will never return and as a direct result of the shocking service, my niece is no longer looking into the Mytton and Mermaid as a possible wedding venue.
We just wish we got the friendly staff members names so we could thank them personally.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Overall a lovely place to stay. The food selection was very good, the room comfortable with everything I could want. Generally the customer service was super, although they did mix up my food order. Probably down to the fact it was so busy on that day. If I could stay with my family it would be perfect. As an added bonus they provide access to a gym 5 minutes down the room which was very handy.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Nice ambiance and great maitre de, food was OK. Service was by a lot of Young girls who were a little dippy. There was a wedding on next door so once the disco kicked in it was a little loud. It was more of a pub dining experience but not pub prices! I would go back but they may Have to try a little harder. The bread with the meal and the little treat with the coffee was a very nice surprise. I will say that they have probably the best onion rings in the world!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We were attending the Summer Ball with friends on Saturday night and having eaten in the pub and attending an event there before we decided to make a weekend of it and book a room. I duly booked a double room and was offered a discount (from £110 to £85) as we were attending the ball which, ofcourse, I greatfully accepted. The lunch on arrival was lovely with a good offering of real ales and wines. The Summer Ball itself was excellent value for money, with a really different menu which tempted us into trying things we wouldnt normally order. The staff (in all areas) are friendly and accommodating. Here's the but............the room we were given was more of a chalet directly off a busy courtyard - drinkers and diners within 5 feet of our bedroom door so an afternoon nap was impossible because of the noise. The only way to lock people's view into our room was to close the drop down blinds over the frosted glass whcih meant applying make up etc was really difficult due to no natural light. I had no option but to pull the blinds up and sit at the dressing table which as right next to the window so basically other guests could see my drying my hair which felt very odd. There was one other window in the room but this opened directly onto the car park (no frosted glass here) so I had to close the blinds here. The bed was fresh and comfy - the shower was cubicle (glass box) style with sliding doors which was old fashioned and in need of regrouting. The blinds were insufficient at blocking out the morning sun light and the room was lit up by 6am - so 4 hours sleep for me! I took it up with the manager the next morning at breakfast (which, by the way, was absolutely excellent) and he handled it well. He seemed to take on board our balanced review - and promised to look into getting some curtains or voiles fro the windows to ensure privacy. He also said that he would ensure that any furure people booking courtyard rooms (which are the same price as the much nicer hotel rooms) would be made aware of the noise problem. He apologised and discounted our room down to £50 which was appreciated and welcome but I would have preferred to have had some sleep to be honest. I would return to this place and give it another go as everything else about our stay was excellent!

Room Tip: Stay away from courtyard rooms on a weekend
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atcham
Prince Rupert Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury
Rowton Castle
Rowton Castle
#1 of 1 in Halfway House

Been to The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel? Share your experiences!