“Disappointing stay at a new Leading Hotel”

Villa Rothschild Kempinski
Germany
“Disappointing stay at a new Leading Hotel”
Reviewed November 9, 2008

I started my trip to Villa Rothschild from the office with a collegue after a busy day at 8pm on October 26, 2008. We arrived at this Leading Small Hotel of the World at about 10pm after an exhausting ride on the motorway with rainy weather. At arrival there was no doorman or bellboy who noticed us. We parked the car in front of the entrance because the parking area was about 50m away and it was raining strongly. In the corridor were a few guests around joining a private birthday party but no staff, even at the reception desk. After a short wait a friendly receptionist appeaered and took care of us, the car and our luggage. We also were guided to our rooms. As a Leaders Club Member I got an upgrade to superior room 115 (rate was 210,-- Euro for one night booked via Leading Hotels, breakfast exclusive). The size of the room was about 30sqm, the size of my collegues room about 20sqm (my collegue did book the same rate through a travel agency and is not a Leaders Club member).

In the room was a small plate with a homemade dessert, no fruits or even a bottle of complimentary water. A Leaders Club present was missing (the mentioned small dessert was in the room of my collegue, too). At time of reservation I requested feather pillows which were not in the room at arrival although there was a card with a "pillow menu" lying on the bed, offering feather pillows... Unfortunately it was too late to change them in the night after returning from the restaurant. The bathroom was quite big but equipped with a shower stall, only. The standard lamp was out of order and missing details like direct links to restaurant or reception on the phone were missing (you had to search the directory to find out the number of the reception desk).

At check-in we asked the receptionist for a light meal or snack and the she recommended the bar for having a club sandwich or a salad. After returning from the room at about 10.20pm all seats in the bar were taken. There was no seating area in the small lobby, the only option was the gourmet restaurant where two tables were occupied. So I asked the waiter for having a table for a light meal in the retaurant. This was denied by the waiter - they serve from the gourmet card not from the bar card. As I told that there were no other seats available in all public areas of the hotel, he asked the team leader and suggested afterwards to have a snack in the room by using the room service! After complaining at recetion that there was no possibility for hotel guests to have a light meal outside the room they apologized and we finally got a table at the restaurant (where we had dinner from the bar card for 80 Euro).

Shoe shine was done correctly, a newspaper was delivered to the room in the night.

Check-out in the morning was complicated, too. I requested a bellboy for the luggage transfer and asked for my parked car. Unfortunately there was just one receptionist on duty who had to do the bellboy's job as well. So there was no staff at reception and another guest and I had to wait until the receptionist returned with the luggage from my room. After checking-out we had to wait again for the car. In that time other guests arrived for a meeting by taxi - their arrival also was not noticed, no staff around to tell them the location of the meeting room. Positive: the valet parking was free of charge.

All in all I don't recommend Villa Rothschild for business travellers or guests who are used to stay in upscaled properties. Service problems, a lack of staff and a missing can-do-attitude are quite annoying and time-consuming. The hotel itself is quite nice but with small standards rooms of 20sqm, no bathtubs even in superior rooms and a missing spa not what one expects when visiting a recently opened Leading Hotel ("Luxury sets them apart, Leading Hotels brings them together").

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank warum

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Texas Gulf Coast, Texas
Reviewed October 13, 2008

I am honored to write this review of Villa Rothschild. It is an absolutely first class experience. The staff could not be more helpful or friendly, the property and grounds are gorgeous, and the rooms are very comfortable and lovely. It is exactly what one would expect of a five star property.

There are so many examples I can give of how wonderfully we were treated, but let me just share one. We were departing the hotel at 5:30am to catch an early flight back to the U.S. The staff made sure to have coffee and packed lunches ready for us shortly after 5am, even though they were under no obligation to do this.

What a wonderful property! I have stayed at 5 star hotels all over the world and this is one of most flawless properties I have encountered. We will definitely be back.

• Liked — Outstanding staff, gorgeous property, everything was perfect.
  • Stayed October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank JamieANS
manalapan,NJ
Reviewed September 29, 2008

The Villa Rothschild is the most perfect place to stay if you are visiting Frankfurt or any place in the Taunus area. Though the Villa is listed as a Small Leading Hotel of the World, it offers huge benefits to the business traveler or tourist visiting this area. What makes the Villa Rothschild so superior a hotel are the rooms, which are totally updated, yet maintain the luxurious feel of nineteenth century aristocracy, the surrounding gardens and magnifcent valley views. Above all, the staff will treat you as royalty. They will assist you in any way conceivable, with the highest of respect, and with a flair that is void even in the highest rated and most expensive European hotels. Kudos to the staff and management of the Villa Rothschild!!! I recommend the Villa to all who visit Germany.

• Liked — The staff ,rooms, location
  • Disliked — Needs more sports facilities
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Konigstein im Taunus
Villa Kennedy
#2 of 269 in Frankfurt
Hotel Zum Feldberg
#5 of 6 in Konigstein im Taunus
Romantik Hotel Schloss Rettersho...
#2 of 6 in Kelkheim (Taunus)

Been to Villa Rothschild Kempinski? Share your experiences!