“Terrific Experience!”
Review of Austing Haus B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Taos Ski Valley
Austing Haus B&B
San Antonio, Texas
“Terrific Experience!”
Reviewed March 12, 2011

We spent the week at Austing Haus, and couldn't have been happier. It's a great value; very close to the slopes, comfortable, unique architecture and an extremely nice staff. I'm trying to think of something to complain about, but everything was completely positive. This lodging is dog-friendly, and that's an understatement. My dog probably considers it his new mountain retreat. The staff provided shuttle service to the ski lodge, arranged for discounts on ski rentals, made restaurant reservations and gave us great advice about local attractions. Breakfast was ready every morning and it was always great. The building is a unique, constructed from timbers using mortise and tenon joinery, which is a nearly lost art in the United States. All in all, it's hard to imagine a better lodging experience in Taos Ski Valley.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed March 11, 2011

My husband and I love the Austing Haus. No frills but greatbreakfast and close to the slopes

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
USA
Reviewed March 9, 2011

The only thing about Austing Haus that is B&B like is that you get a bed. And they serve breakfast. That is where the similarity ends. I really wanted to like Austing Haus - I like the Austrian vibe, I'm cool with old school, but there are some harsh realities to which I'd like to alert potential visitors:
1. The rooms are very, very dated. Dark green carpet, with 80s era flowered comforters. Lumpy, dreadful sofa and sort of smelly in a dank way.
2. There is no cable or satellite TV. The TV in our room was probably 15 years old and you had to jiggle a cord to get a fuzzy-ish picture.
4. Pillows are flat as pancakes.
5. Breakfast menu: fresh eggs (yeah), thin bacon, watered down oj, cereals, fresh make your own waffles, fresh breads and stale pastries, all served in a lovely breakfast room.
6. Hot water is iffy to nil. Awfully disappointing and infuriating after a day on the slopes.
7. The locks on the door seem very "pickable" in that motel from the 50s kind of way (though I think this place was built in the 80s)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank traveledabout
Keewanna, General Manager at Austing Haus B&B, responded to this review, March 11, 2011
We regret to hear that you considered your stay at the Austing Haus B&B to be less than perfect. We always encourage our guests to make us aware of any problems they might experience as soon as they occur. The issue with the hot water was the only thing we were notified about during your stay, and we were only made aware of the problem on the departure date. We offered your family another room to shower in that morning and apologized for the inconvenience. Our plumbers were promptly called, and the problem was quickly eradicated. The subsequent guests who have stayed in your same room have had no complaints.
Thanks,
The Austing Haus B&B staff
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed January 25, 2011

Our family found the Austing Haus to be a great family value. The location is very close to the slopes and the timber frame construction of the building is very special. The breakfast was hot and we loved it. Taos Ski Valley is a world class mountain and the lift lines are very short.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 21, 2011

The Austing Haus is quite lovely inside and out. From its picturesque German architecture, to the scenic hills of evergreen draped in snow surrounding, it is nothing short of majestic. It is close to the slopes uphill, and also not too far from the shopping and cultural perks of Taos down the mountain. I found the entire staff to be affable, savvy, and extremely accommodating. Although the desk girl had never been skiing, she was perfectly capable of answering all of my ski-related questions with exceptional accuracy. In fact, she was quite charming.

I found the room sizes, bathrooms, breakfast, hot tub, and parking situation all quite agreeable. Also, this b&b has a cozy personality, less corporate than some of the other options on the hill. All in all, I certainly recommend the place.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 21, 2011

Breakfast was legit, eggs and sausage before skiing kept me full all day.
Shuttle service was pretty dang prompt, and should be, the location is great!
Hot tub is essential for me when skiing, it had some issues but was fixed and made hot right away! I was in it and happy every time I wanted it. Very pleased with that.
The timber-frame structure was wild! and all the funky decor was kindof charming. its a cool place that is for skiers and benefits of hearty breakfast, shuttle service, and awesome staff are well worth it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 20, 2011

My wife made all the arrangements at Austing Haus for our first ski vacation, staying 4 nights immediately before, and including, Christmas 2010. She posted a Review on TripAdvisor and she received a certified letter from an attorney claiming to represent the owners and threatening to sue her if she failed to remove her Review... she has done so but I feel the need to share our experience with others for so they can draw their own conclusion.

I will only state the facts as I know them first hand (as I know the attorney will be reading this review) and avoid any "she said, they said" to avoid any hearsay claims.

We stayed 4 nights, at a cost to us of almost $1,000 for 4 adults. In my opinion this was excessive but again I have no experience with the cost of lodging in ski areas. I was embarrassed for my family and son's fiancée by what I considered a substandard bathroom: the door did not close properly and the water temperature in the shower was first difficult to achieve and once established it fluctuated in temperature.

For our 1st breakfast, there was no meat served on the buffet - I said nothing to the hotel staff wondering if it would appear on the following day; on the 2nd day again there was no breakfast meat - I questioned a hotel staff member on the lack of what I expected was included in a "hot" breakfast buffet; on the 3rd and 4th mornings there was meat.

My wife purchased ski lift tickets and while I cannot state with certainty what was she told them or what they told to her, I did overhear her state on the telephone that 3 of us were inexperienced and only my son would be able to use the most advanced lift. Toward the end of our trip, while at the ski lift, I learned there was a significant difference in price for the novice and expert lifts and that the price we paid was for 4 tickets on the advanced lift on all 3 days. I inquired about a refund but the lift operator at Taos Ski valley could only refund part of the amount charged thereby inflicting a significant penalty on us for the refund.

My advice to you if you're considering a stay at the Austing Haus is:
1. Before making your final reservation ask they send you a photo of the bathroom - in the room they will reserve for you - to ensure it meets your standards.
2. Do not purchase ski lift tickets until you arrive at the ski lift (and I recommend caution about purchasing any other service/product from Austing Haus).
3. Their claim is the hotel is a timber frame construction and while squeaks were not objectionable within our upstairs room I shutter to think what it would be like for those below us. If you opt for a first floor room ask if noise from rooms around your room is to be expected.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
The Blake at Taos Ski Valley
#1 of 2 in Taos Ski Valley
The Historic Taos Inn
Columbine Inn & Conference Center
Columbine Inn & Conference Cente...
#2 of 6 in Taos Ski Valley
Amizette Inn
Amizette Inn
#5 of 6 in Taos Ski Valley

Been to Austing Haus B&B? Share your experiences!