“Diverse Terrain, nice verticals. Great spring skiing in '11.”
Review of Taos Ski Valley

Taos Ski Valley
More attraction details
Owner description: Located at the southern tip of the Rocky Mountains in Northern New Mexico, Taos Ski Valley is a world famous destination for riders and skiers of all ability levels. Taos is primarily know for its steeps but offers beginner & intermediate trails off the top of every single chair lift. For the advanced to expert skier/rider Taos offers some of the most challenging and varied terrain in the country, especially off its hike to ridges. The family vibe is also embodied in the quaint village of Taos Ski Valley. Not overdeveloped the resort offers a simple night life, lots of dining options, with everything in close proximity. If you are looking for more than skiing/riding check out the historic town of Taos just 18 miles down the road for a true vacation destination.
Ridgefield, New Jersey
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Diverse Terrain, nice verticals. Great spring skiing in '11.”
Reviewed March 17, 2011

The weather was perfect in early March when I spent a weekend here. It was the same weekend that Texas spring break began but it never got to crowded though the southern trails (lifts 6 &8) were more conjested than the northern most (lifts 4 & 7). This late in the season and with mid 60's I expected to find all pack and no powder, I was wrong. Though the long straight main runs were fairly well packed and even icey the diversity of the terrain allowed me to find the glades and more extreme trains that were powdery fresh. Odviously the snow conditions will constantly change, but I believe that the size of the mountain and availability of hiking to remote spots will make this a great spot for all but the most beginning skiers.

Visited March 2011

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Thanks for coming - now leave!”
Reviewed March 3, 2011

Taos is beautiful and very challenging - but the culture is unwelcoming. Sure - you have some very friendly staff, but the ski locals are scrooges and need to take a chill pill. I skied the first 2 days and everyone was very friendly. The second 2 days I boarded and was surprised at all of the old bearded skiers that cut in line, are rude, and literally do not talk to you unless they want to lecture you on how to ride the mountain. Taos is 95% roped off - meaning every groomer is lined with rope and if you cut under a rope to access trees or powder that is fair game you have to follow the rules and find a gate or opening. If you miss a turn and want to duck under a rope beware - the local skiers are tattle tales and will ski to the nearest lift operator to tell on you. This happened to us and the liftie said "we have eyes in the sky - next time we will cut your ticket" -- eyes in the sky - give me a break - you have rat skiers everywhere looking to get another boarder off the mountain - that is what you have! Enjoy your mountain Taos - you might have opened it up to boarders because you realized you were loosing too much money but you can't change the bully, ski culture. Also - if you are traveling with a family definitely do not come here - it is not family friendly. I only saw one family the whole time I was skiing / boarding and it is not set up properly for families - they have no skiier drop off so you have to lug everything up a long hill. i don't even know if they have a daycare and you will definitely be the only family that picked this destination. Its an old man - scrooge - burnout - I don't like change and outsiders mountain.

Visited February 2011
8 Thank flotation
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“what a joke”
Reviewed January 28, 2011

very expensive, no where near an airport, very bad food (rhodas..lol, bavarian (glorified hotdog stand with a view), Accomodations... want a hottub... oh you wanted one that works and is hotter than room temp.. well you better go somewhere else.. the only thing they got going is .. quite possilby bed bugs might not be able to survive at that altitude or they couldn't make it up the icy ski valley road... just as you won't... if you want 21st century .. you may need to visit Colorado... Taos can have their aura and steep icy trails with no snow... if you read the yearly averages ... you will be misled .. most of the snow comes April 1st .. the week the mountain closes... Also.. poorly paid employees makes for a bad mountain... Looking for nightlife.. Bars in TSV close at 9..lol yeah have fun with that.. Need some beer at 8pm... its over an hour drive maybe more if your counting driving back swiggin' a brew..

Visited March 2010
5 Thank moreorlesh
Stillwater, Oklahoma
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“management: Learn how to open some lifts for your guests”
Reviewed January 1, 2011

The most ridiculous thing I have ever witnessed, plenty of snow the three days we were there, but only half of the lifts were open due to the staff wanting to avalanche control the runs, and I never saw any of the staff grooming the trails in the morning. I'm not even a ski park manager but could mobilize my subordinates to make the mountain more elite without much effort at all,,,,, give me a break Taos, get your crap together or you will start losing much revenue from your lack of guests.

2 Thank shadediggler
Hot Springs, Arkansas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Not for beginners”
Reviewed December 22, 2010

I have taken 8-9 ski trips in my life and consider myself to be an intermediate skier (I have problems on the more difficult black runs and probably would not ski a double diamond). This was my wife's 2nd ski trip. I have skied in Colorado several times and Lake Tahoe a couple times. This was my first trip to New Mexico. I would not recommend this mountain for beginning skiers or early in the season. We went in mid December and were very disappointed that only 4-5 runs were open. At the same time, most resorts in Colorado were running at 80-90%. I don't know if this is typical. As we planned this trip months in advance and the deposit on our condo was non-refundable, canceling was not an option. Furthermore, we paid a lot of money to stay in a ski in/ski out lodge only to find out when we got there that the trail to the lodge was roped off due to lack of snow. We were forced to drive to the lift. Secondly, my wife struggled to make it down even the green slopes. The green slopes (or slope as the case may be) were very narrow and steeper than green slopes at other resorts I have skied. Even the bunny slope was steep. My wife enjoyed her first ski trip (Mt. Rose) much more. I think I could have enjoyed the mountain much more had more runs been open., I did not quite have the same positive experience with the ski school that others seem to have. Our children are young and beginning skiers (4 and 6 years old). While the facilities seem nice, our kids were not able to do anything but stand up on their skies after 2 days of lessons. Every time I skied by the school, they were inside. After 2 days, no one had even taken them up the magic carpet!!
All of this being said, I think that with good conditions this could be an enjoyable mountain to ski for intermediate to advanced skiers.
For some silly reason this website will not allow me rate this as anything but excellent. As you can tell if you read this review, I did not find this mountain excellent.

24 Thank medhog