“Beware! Snow clothing SCAM.”

Changbaishan Tianchi
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Baishan
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Chonburi, Thailand
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 165 helpful votes
“Beware! Snow clothing SCAM.”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I took a taxi from a nearby hotel to see Changbaishan from the northern slope. Beware of a scam where a taxi driver takes you to a shop house outside of the main gates and claims the clothes you are wearing are insufficient to go to the top of the mountain. I went 2 March 2014

In my instance I was with my 20 month old son, so I was airing on the side of caution. They put on these shin guards and gave us a cheap jacket for my son and charged us 150 RMB. I have never been to the mountain so I assumed we might need to hike through snow or something. But this is just a SCAM.

It is cold at the top of the mountain, but it's mostly from the wind. A face mask might be useful, but the items they had us "rent" were absolutely unnecessary. I assumed I would get part of the 150 RMB I gave them back as a deposit, but I was wrong....and it's clear the shop owners are aware of this rip from their reaction when I asked for money back.

My hotel Concierge took care of the issue when I returned to the hotel with my taxi driver, but better to avoid the situation all together.

Otherwise the park was awesome, there is a bus and a 4x4 vehicle to the top. Everything is well organized and kept up well. Bathrooms were the best public bathrooms I have seen in China.

Visited March 2014

21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Changbaishan Mountain Experience”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Changbaishan was an amazing experience. We visited during the October holiday which I would not recommend as there were lots of visitors. Nevertheless, the area was incredible. The Glacier valley was incredibly scenic with beautiful fall colors, waterfalls, and hot springs. We went to the top to see the famed lake and were only provided a short glimpse due to the fog. The highlights were soaking our feet in the thermal springs. We had our lunch with our feet in these incredible hot spring pools. The sunken forest which is a large forest of trees in a valley was also beautiful.

Visited November 2012
4 Thank Meb132
Beijing, China
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Want to see the Heavenly Lake? That will be up to your luck!”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

My husband and I went to Changbai Mountain a couple of weeks ago. We were so looking forward to see the Heavenly Lake at the top of the mountain so we tried to climb up from both west side of the mountain (Xi Po) and the north side (Bei Po). However, there are only 25% of travellers who are lucky enough to get to see the breath taking view of the lake and we weren't falling into that racket.

However, we still quite enjoyed our experiences in that area and we also want to share a quite few useful tips with everyone since we couldn't find a lot of the information when we were planing our trip so here we go:

a) When is actually the best time to go?
We were debating quite bit regarding when we should go there during our planing. However, with our personal experiences and after our discussion with the locals, here are some suggestions for you:

A lot of locals actually suggest people to come to that area around fall / winter time. It is quite cold, not to mention you will have to deal with the mountain weather, but you will have more opportunities to get to see the lake since it will be windy and less clouds at the top of the mountain. For fall, you will be seeing the leaf colour changing and for winter time, you can enjoy the nice and well developed ski resort in that area. Summer time is nice because the temperature will be cooler compare it with other hot places but it will also come with a lot of rain (especially for this year) and clouds.

b) What shall we wear?
We have did a lot of research for this question and again, with our own experiences, be aware of the mountain weather. It could be sunny at the bottom of the mountain but as the higher you go, it could get quite cold and wet. We will suggest you to bring some warm clothing especially with waterproof materials. However, there is no need to be dress up as the super professional mountain hikers and you will see why in my next question.

c) How is the hike to the top of the mountain and the whole area?
Changbai Mountain is a very well developed area for all travellers. You won't be needing serious mountain hiking gears because, you barely need to hike!!! It doesn't matter where you will be enter into the Changbai Mountain, you will be required to take their bus. Their bus will be taking you to the nearest spot of the top and from there, it is all easy hike with some nice made hills and stairs.

d) Where shall I Stay?
We stayed at the Horizon Resort and unfortunately we couldn't find them here so we would like to write a review. However, I would suggest a lot of travellers to just stay at Wanda Resort area. It is well developed and trust me, with places like that, you don't want to stay in the middle of no where and stuck with the restaurants from your hotel!

Well, that's really what I have in the top of my head at the current moment and I hope I can share it with you and also help you in a way ! However, if you have other questions, feel free to contact me here and I would always like to help you with your trip planing !!!

Best of the luck!

CSSNAKEW

Visited August 2013
7 Thank CSSNAKEW
Singapore
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 145 helpful votes
“The outdoor hotspring dip without sulphur smell is amazing”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Changbaishan mountain is very professionally run. Wifi available at lobby.

The road up to see the frozen waterfall is scenic. On the way down slope, you may have to slide down at times, please wear pants that allow sliding without getting stuck or pants torn.

The hotspring from Changbaishan is very therapeutic. Imagine 30 degree C water without sulphur smell channeled from the source into the outdoor pool, where the outdoor temperature is minus 30 degree C. Simply amazing. A dip in the hot pool is a must, good for the body.

Heaven Lake is actually a crater lake. Frozen in the winter at the time we went. Beautiful. Surprising that Changbaishan never have any major earthquakes or volcano eruption given the geothermal activity that provided the hot water. One side of the Heaven Lake belongs to the North Korea. On clear day, you will be able to see the North Korea board walk at the far end from the vantage point. Going up in the winter by fourwheel drive with snow chain in the winter, and by normal mini bus in the summer. Hold on tight!

Visited January 2013