“Maybe best in Jieyang but rooms not clean!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Rong Jiang Hotel

Rong Jiang Hotel
Ranked #3 of 58 Hotels in Jieyang
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
“Maybe best in Jieyang but rooms not clean!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in Jieyang. It is a so-called 5-star hotel and the locals consider it the best and at nights I saw a lot of outside people coming there to their club. So, it is considered quite posh in their locality. But their rooms need major attention! The hotel's lobby and public spaces are well maintained but the rooms are very dirty as per western/european standards at least or as per any person with reasonable preference for hygiene and cleanliness.

Reached the hotel at 1am in the morning and found the staff with very limited english skills. So using a combination of nods, head shaking, sign language and words, I got my room. I was shocked. Dirty/moldy carpets, walls, bathroom creeped the hell out of me. So, I went back to the lobby and requested room change. Cannot make the receptionists understand why it is a big deal! I am sorry...what? Apparently, there are 2 units - A & B - and B is the cheaper one and so it is ok for it to be dirty! But hello? I am still paying 350rmb which is like almost US$60 for a night. It's not like I am staying there for free and for a place like Jieyang, I think their rates are already quite high! So after massive explanations, requests and waking up the duty-manager, I get a better room but still with some issues. It was almost 3am by that time and after 2 hours of trying to get a room without molds and dirt, I settled with the best I could get. The fact that I travelled for over 10 hours and had a meeting in 6 probably gave me a sense of despair and urgency. Also, the beds were harder than what is usual in american or european hotels but I found that in China, mattresses are harder in general. Their style I guess. (Next day, on my request, they cleaned the room with extra care and it showed).

After this, I dreaded the next day, but it was great. The breakfast was better and as a vegetarian I had a couple more options other than the usual bread, butter and jam. Though I wished they at least had pancakes or waffles machine to make it more complete. But what pleasantly surprised me was the fact that there were more managers and attendants who could at least understand english better and also speak a little! Why was there not even one of them the night before?!?! Ugh!

Though their english was limited, I found the attendants and managers friendly and helpful as they usually should be in a good hotel. In particular, I was very impressed with their honesty - I left some change at the counter during checkout and they promptly called me to come retrieve it. It might be commonplace elsewhere but in China... umm. So, I left with a very good impression.

A couple of notes:
1. Spa, recreational center (which has table-tennis table) are charged and the only thing complimentary is the swimming pool with no steam or sauna. Hmm...
2. Booked a bus ticket from Jieyang to Guangzhou through the business center. They charged me 140 rmb (including a 10% service charge). Later, on the bus I found out the tickets were actually 80rmb for the locals.
3. There is wired internet in the rooms. However, when I asked for a router, they promptly gave me one and that was super convenient.

Location is great, all the locals consider it the best and there are some good places to eat (like KFCs and some cafes) around the hotel. They clearly give a lot of attention to their outside appearance and giving a sense of poshness. I just wish all the rooms were much cleaner (at least have no spots or molds in the carpets and walls) and it would make the hotel so much better.

Room Tip: Unit A rooms are cleaner but much more expensive.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank rkchux

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Hmm...We happened to be in Jieyang for one night. Local people said it's the best and the only five stars hotel in the area. So I asked my Chinese colleague to book the rooms for us. CNY481 per night with breakfast for two people.

The lobby looks grand and promising. Staff are nice, speaking only Chinese. We booked two non-smoking rooms. Once we got to our floor - the 19th, the smoke odor was overwhelming, too much. If you like to smoke, this is the right hotel for you. If you're not the smoker, stay away from this town or maybe China (I don't see any other hotels that look better than Rong Jiang but I was there for only one night).

The rooms were dated with stinky carpets. One room was fine but the other (next to it) was terrible (my room). I'd say this is a good three stars hotel.

The breakfast wasn't great with limited Western dishes selection. I had toast, butter and eggs.

If you can't speak Chinese (Mandarin and etc), don't bet on that they will be able to communicate with you in English. I was so frustrated at check-out, they couldn't understand English and I can't understand Chinese. I guess it was my bad to stop for a night in Jieyang and stayed at this hotel.

Thanks goodness, we're now in a better hotel, the real five stars in Shantou - The Meritus.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank euro2006
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jieyang
Shimao Mingting Hotel
Te Mei Si Hotel
#15 of 58 in Jieyang
Home Inn Jieyang Jinxianmen Avenue
7 Days Inn Jieyang Guangbai

Been to Rong Jiang Hotel? Share your experiences!