“Hidden gem for Pandabase / BiFengXia”

Bifengxia Wenfeng Villa Farmerhouse
Bifengxia Wenfeng Villa Farmerhouse
Ranked #6 of 100 Hotels in Ya'an
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights. I decided to write a review here as it has been mentioned elsewhere in TA but not in the accommodation section. Do note that this is a homestay and not some 5 Star hotel (there is none near the Pandabase, so this is the best there is!).

Location
Located inside the scenic area. If you’re here for the pandas, then its location is awesome - just a 5min walk to the Pandabase. Its not along any main roads, so there is no need to worry about noise.

This deserves a separate mention. Mr Zhu (the boss of the homestay) and his family are wonderful cooks! For breakfasts, they serve a bowl of wonderful-tasting noodles that is simple yet filling, so that you have enough energy for the day’s work. For lunch and dinner, they can cook up several home-style dishes for a very reasonable fee. I particularly liked his eggs with tomato and fried potatoes. Even if the dish is not on the menu, you can request for it and he will cook it (as long he has the ingredients) – I requested for fried rice on one occasion. In fact, he cooks so well that I miss his food when I left BFX. I personally felt that the food in Chengdu city can’t compare with his simple yet tasty home-cooked food. Take a look at a photo of one of my meals there.

Mr Zhu and his family are extremely hospitable and friendly. They will do their utmost to make your stay comfortable. I was there in winter and it was cold for me. The room temperature dropped to about 5C at night. Seeing that I was unused to the weather, he brought extra blankets and even an electric heater from another room (I think the locals there do not sleep with a heater). I did not request for this (as I did not know he had extra blankets or a heater) – he was very observant and service-oriented.

On my last day of volunteering at the Pandabase, I needed to get down to Ya’an quickly to catch a bus for my onward journey. I told him about my tight schedule, and he arranged his time to fit my schedule. He waited for me to return from the Pandabase and quickly cooked up some of my favourite dishes. He then helped me carry my bags into his car and sent me to the bus pick-up spot where I managed to take a bus down to Ya’an in the quickest possible timing. He is meticulous and willing to go the extra mile to help.

*By the way, he has a super obedient and cute dog. He sits next to you when you have your meals but never barks or begs for food from you. A good companion during your free time. :)

Rates
The rates were 80CNY for a night during the off-peak season. I understand from him that the rates become 120CNY per night during the peak season (all accommodations increase their prices during the peak season). My meals (lunch/dinner) worked out to be about 25-35CNY/pax, while breakfast was 10CNY. All in, a great deal for value you are getting.

In summary, Wenfeng Villa is a hidden gem in the area, best-suited for one who is volunteering or visiting the Pandas at BFX. Service and food is much better than many hotels I’ve seen at only a fraction of the price. If you speak Pu Tong Hua (Mandarin) or Sichuan dialect, you can call Mr Zhu directly to book your rooms. However, if you do not speak the above languages, you can write him an email; he will get it translated and reply you.
Tel: +86 13881634602