“This panda zoo fell way short of expectations....”

Bifengxia Panda Reserve
Ranked #1 of 23 things to do in Ya'an
More attraction details
Owner description: Nearest large town is Ya'an about 16km away.
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Chengdu and the drive to Bifengxia is stunning. My friend and i were volunteering for 2 weeks unfortunately due to the terrible experience we had with the accommodation (black mould and wet mattresses anyone!?) food (made us sick) and bad service from the onsite hotel / restaurant staff we left after 3 days.

Maybe I'm being unfair as I suspect a lot of our experience was down to the inept tour operator however it was truly awful and I wouldn't wish anyone to go through what we went through. It's actually put me off going back to china..... For a few years!

Another negative is that when volunteering none of the staff could speak English, yes we are in rural China and their English is notably better than my Chinese but volunteering is big business for them and I'd hoped to learn about the panda's - sadly I only learnt what I read before I got there!

This is less of a reserve and more a panda zoo and for that you can go to Beijing Zoo!!

I loved the experience of feeding the panda's - they love apples and panda cake - and seeing the baby panda's was the highlight.

We didn't even consider holding a baby panda (for USD500) due to pandas being really sceptical to picking up human viruses however a lot of people were which was actually quite upsetting. Similarly learning that only 2 pandas have been released into the world is disheartening and you wonder why there are so many painful and obtrusive practises continuing to ever increase the number of pandas in captivity.

4  Thank L0nd0ne14

Reviewed September 30, 2012

The panda experience was amazing. We volunteered for the day, working with the pandas, cleaning their enclosures and even hand feeding them. We saw probably 30 pandas during the day and our kids had the opportunity (at a cost) to get their photos with the pandas and pat them.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I did volunteering here and it was a fantastic experience. I would recommend that anyone wanting to do it to stay at one of the hostels just outside the gates of the park as a bus from Ya'an in the morning can make you need to get out of bed 2 hours earlier than those staying at the park. While I was happy with my accommodation in the city, an extra 4 hours wasted each day is quite frustrating when you know that you are only going about 20KM.

1  Thank thebarnboy
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Don't bother with the trip down to Bifengxia. Go to Chengdu's Panda base it is so much cleaner and nicer and the pandas look happier. Also we found random animals on the side of the road on our way up there, aome camels, deer, zebras and a giraffe and they did NOT look healthy.

3  Thank Sarahlikestogoplaces
Reviewed June 26, 2012

The ride to this park from Chengdu is not over the best orads but it gives you a good chance to see how people live in theSichuan countryside. The park is definnitely worth a visit. Five stars all the way. The grounds are very lovely. You will see many panda, many of them sleeping in thelush trees that are located within their very large enclosures. For those who prefer not to walk the extensivegroundsthere are small open-air buses to transport you. Definitely bring your camera. This site was a wonderful extension after seeing the Panda breedingstationlocated in Chengdu itself. Children and adults will be fascinated by this attraction.

4  Thank philipmillermd