The Sitwell Arms Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Sandpiper Hotel(Chesterfield)
Casa Hotel(Chesterfield)
View Hotel
All reviewshoneymoon suitewild boarwedding packagelounge barfood was lovelyjacuzzi bathevening buffetplenty of parkingfried breadwedding breakfastfull englishthe pubfour poster bedour room was spaciousbirthday partybar menucouldn't fault
Reviewed June 9, 2010

The room needed renovating as it looks very dated but it was clean and the bathroom had been replaced which was a bonus.
We didn't have a evening meal as we had arranged to go to a party nearby but even though the menu was expensive we would have eaten if we had stayed another night.
Breakfast was very good although not alot of choice, and only 2 staff who were rushed of thier feet. Vases of dead flowers remained on most tables! which showed lack of attention to detail.
When we attempted to drive away the barrier was down. We would have appreciated the receptionist telling us the code beforehand.
The rooms do let the hotel down but £77.50 was reasonable.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oxgull
Reviewed January 24, 2010

No hot water for shower, bed that was as old and ropey as the hotel, generator/heater outside of the window that hummed away most of the night. Bathroom was 70's chocolate brown and felt old and dirty. Woman serving breakfast was nice, not much else I can recommend, can't say much for the rest of the staff including the unreachable night porter.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank AverageJoTraveller
Reviewed June 19, 2009

My husband and I had our wedding at this hotel in March and we have to say that the from the moment we approached the staff with the possibility of booking the wedding our treatment has been superb. The staff were always friendly, helpful and very knowledgeable - in particular the wedding coordinator we used - Helen.

During last year we had numerous meals at the Sitwell with parents/in laws, a lot of them on very busy sundays. The food and the restaurant service was exemplary.

On the actual day of the wedding all our needs were catered for, including those of disabled guests, children, people wanting to change their food order and anyone with allergies- me! Incidentally the soup we ordered for the kids was out of this world! .On the day staff kept either me or my husband informed of what was happening. (Marvellous idea with the vegetarian food in the evening). All our guests have commented on how enjoyable the day was and the high quailty of the food. The only negative thing about the day was the way the cake was put out after we cut it. The staff did not annouce it so it was left to people to find out on their own and it was difficult to pick up. I think the hotel are used to "normal" fruit cake, but ours was chocolate and people did get a little messy trying to get it!

The hotel bar remained open very late for hotel residents and the staff were very friendly during this time. After the bar had closed there was no pressure to leave the bar area and some of our guests did stay up talking until the ealry hours.

As far as I am aware the hotel has approx 32 rooms and our wedding party took them all up with the expection of some single rooms. The hotel do hold back rooms for other guests, until very close to the wedding which was great. The final negative point I have is regarding breakfast the next day. The waitress (as stated in other reviews) said we could have full english breakfast with no variations due to the number of guests in the hotel. As the Bride she finally relented and let me take one item off it. However as we booked the wedding (and 16 rooms) over a year in advance and all the other rooms were booked at least a week in advance, I feel they let themselves down with service like this. More staff were needed on the morning after the wedding.

Overall I would defintely recommend this hotel to anyone for any reason. A wedding is obviously a very important day and this hotel and the staff met and exceeeded our expectations. We were tret like people who were celebrating a very special occasion throughout and nothing was too much trouble. It really was wonderful and the ground where we had the photos were great too!

• Stayed: March 2009
1  Thank Rachie77Sheffield
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Each year a mixed group of 30 friends enjoy a golfing weekend at a different place in Britain. This was chosen by a friend and booked in December 2008. After reading the reviews I wasn't happy about his choice so arrived with low expectations. To say I was pleasantly surprised was an understatement and it is the first time in 10 years that I have advised our party leader that I wouldn't mind returning. The rooms were spacious and comfortable, food was nice and service was good. There is a gym, which I didn't use and a number of function rooms. There were a couple of weddings on during our stay but were unobtrusive.
There was one surly waitress one day at breakfast who was a bit offhand when 4 of us changed our breakfast order and on the second day there was quite a lot of food wasted as they would only serve a full breakfast, rather than a for example just sausage and bacon, so if you didn't like one or more items of sausage, bacon, tomato, beans etc, you were advised to leave it on the plate.
The hotel is nicely placed between Chesterfield and Sheffield. We chose to visit Lincoln, a beautiful city, 35 miles away, but there is a wide variety of days out within a reasonable distance.
We mad our own entertainment on the Friday evening as one of our group played his guitar and everyone else sang along, but Saturday evening brought an unexpected surprise, a Motown disco evening and 3 course meal. A very good singer and a disco was a bonus for us. Apparently the hotel holds a number of varied events throughout the year.
A very enjoyable entertaining weekend was had by all.

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed March 24, 2009

After reading reviews of this hotel, I was very sceptical as I had group booked 14 rooms, but all I can say is fantastic, nothing was too much trouble, food was excellent, service was excellent and the hotel was spotless!!! So glad I stayed here, value for money was second to none and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business