“Friendly and inexpensive hotel”

and 1 more site!
The Sitwell Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Renishaw
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Sitwell Arms is one of the friendliest hotels I've ever stayed in. My wife and I stayed there on their offer of dinner for 2 and bed and breakfast for £65. The room was nice and warm, clean and comfortable. The food was superb. We had steaks cooked perfectly. The bar was well stocked and the choice of wines excellent, we took part in all of those!
I didn't expect this to be so good because of the location. It couldn't have been further from the truth.
Fantastic staff, fantastic hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are equally as good as each other.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Sitwell Arms Hotel

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I should start by qualifying why I gave it 3 stars, we'll the staff were pleasant, attentive and chatty and the food wasn't bad considering it would either have been warmed up or deep fried.

To the bedroom. Nothing wrong with it in principle, (though both curtains looked like a kitten had spent a pleasant afternoon playing with them) and the place was clean enough. The bed, well, to say the mattress was worn would be a gross understatement, I've seen some better ones in a skip. There were two very noticeable indents from over use, and I had the pleasure of feeling each and every (broken) spring during the night.

Summing up, the staff are great and the food is fine (though a little expensive) for the location, but I'd advise you to bed down in the nearest ditch, chances are you'd have a better nights sleep.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have passed this place all my life and never have been in until the 16th March 2013.
I and my Wife were invited to a wedding reception, and the building is very nice and charming.
But the place lets itself down by charging over the odds for drinks as indeed many hotels do.
At almost £4 for a pint of Stella it soon becomes expensive, and when you think that this place is only a 3 star hotel too.
The function room was very nice and well presented and the staff were fine apart from one male member of staff who was a bit mouthy.
I must say that I cannot comment on the rooms as we did not stay here, but the rates do seem reasonable.
But don't be fooled as this place looks from the outside like a grand 4 star but is as I said earlier only a 3 star with 4 star prices.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Whent there friday night to the Wild boar restraunt a great experiance the food was spot on the starters were very good we had roast beef and the deserts were spot on i must thank the staff for looking after us we will be going again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel numerous times over the years, but this was the first time that we came away disappointed.

We were staying at the hotel for an event which was being held at one the function rooms within the hotel. The staff are always pleasant and the service is always great.

The breakfasts are always fantastic and are great value for money.

Our only complaint were the bedrooms. Although a good size, very clean, they are dated. This doesn't bother us as such, but it would be a nicer environment with a lick of paint!
On this occasion we were staying in a family room, the beds were awful. The double bed mattress didnt even fit on the bed frame correctly, the single bed was so old/used it had a crater in the middle of it! It didnt make for a comfortable nights sleep.

Also, we were unable to use our shower, it was leaking at the head, so I attempted to screw it correctly. By doing this i sliced my finger on the shower hose, i reported it to reception and no action was taken. No one came to check the shower or seemed overly bothered by the fault. Fortunately we were with a large group and were able to use a shower in another room.

Like I said, we have stayed at the hotel numerous times before and haven't had any problems so were left disappointed on this occasion.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 4, 2013

In early January we booked a room for a two nights stay in late February and following Trip Advisor advice asked for, and were promised a refurbished room. This request was subsequently confirmed by the hotel on two separate occasions.

On arrival we were given a room about which we had some issues, and to her credit, the General Manager sorted out the problem professionally and efficiently; moving us to a much better room.

I had a slight contretemps with the waitress who received us in the bar, and took our order. To say she lacked diplomacy would be an understatement.

At this point I should say that I am not 'picky' and try to be calm an equable at all times, but the way we and our guest were embarrassed in the bar was enough to trigger a reaction.

We dined in the restaurant on both evenings of our stay the first night with one guest and the second with two.

After the intial blip, the food and service were good, as also were the breakfasts.

Apart from one young lady the staff were all welcoming and pleasant and tried their best to make our stay a pleasant one.

The hotel is privately owned, and money for improvements is hard to find. However, a few new toilet seats, a spray or two of grout cleaner, and the odd tube of sealant should not break the bank, and would make a lot of difference.

The Sitwell Arms has a number of function rooms and is an extremely popular wedding venue which indicates they are good at that aspect of their business.

We think that maybe a little more attention should be given to the needs of general hotel guests.

This was our second stay, and the jury is still out on whether we shall visit again.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room with an updated bathroom
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My wife and myself stayed here recently and found the whole experience fantastic, we had a lovely room and a excellent meal in the restaurant. The breakfast was as good as i have ever had and the staff couldnt do enough for us, the setting of this hotel is really nice as it has lovely grounds and a very nice bar/patio area....all round superb weekend and we will certainly be coming back.
Ian

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Renishaw
Casa Hotel
#1 of 1 in Barlborough
Hotel van Dyk
Hotel van Dyk
#1 of 1 in Clowne

Been to The Sitwell Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!