“Excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Renishaw
Sheffield
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

My wife and myself stayed here recently and found the whole experience fantastic, we had a lovely room and a excellent meal in the restaurant. The breakfast was as good as i have ever had and the staff couldnt do enough for us, the setting of this hotel is really nice as it has lovely grounds and a very nice bar/patio area....all round superb weekend and we will certainly be coming back.
Ian

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Chesterfield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

The hotels itself is good and the staff came across as friendly and helpful.

The restaurant served good food and the breakfast the following morning was a full english breakfast which was served hot and plentiful. There was also a buffet you could help yourself too of fruit, yoghurt and croissants etc.

The downsize to this hotel is the rooms. The room we stayed in, while quite big, was tired and old fasioned and in serious need of renovating.

There is plenty of free car parking and the grounds seemed very pretty which if you were here for a wedding would make some great pictures.

They definately charged too much for this room to say an Ibis hotel is available 2 miles up the road and while they may be smaller rooms they are at least modern and new.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed here a while ago to attend a wedding - think we lucked out on our room as some of the pictures people have put up looks like most of the rooms have been modernised slightly or dated but elegant - ours was the same room as a couple of guests that have posted negative comments have captured. Dark green and brown bathroom suite, bleach stained i think too, very dark and dingy, room needed a serious update by anyone's standards. Hotel I think could definitely do with a spruce, gave a very dark and dingy pub feel when attending this day, although bride and groom seemed very happy so that's what matters, I expect their suite is of a much nicer standard (you would hope!) so that's the main thing. It's a shame that we didn't get to see the back of the hotel and views as they look beautiful, all photos etc were taken at the front and think we'd impose another wedding to get to it, but never mind.

Very reasonably priced, but, you get what you pay I think. The day was enjoyable though regardless.

Staff were polite, had no troubles there, just the room really and the update the place needed that let it down really.

Room Tip: Don't choose the room we had! If it's upstairs, turn right and then last room on the right a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Renishaw hotels

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

My partner and I got caught in blizzard conditions and this hotel was our only option and we thought - a very welcome retreat from the danger of the situation at that time.

We went in to check in @ midnight, as it was that late, we were welcomed by the lovely staff at reception of which Pete was one. On getting a room agreed with them (a twin) we were then confronted by a lady who was very drunk who was slurring her words, reeked of booze and point blank refused to let the staff book us in to the room agreed and paid for already. At our dismay, and the staffs, we all stated it was done and we were happy with this room, I would have preferred a double but I was not caring at that point. She refused and demanded we stayed in 2 singles, using the excuse they had showers and not a bath. RUBBISH!

This person had spoken to me outside with a friend of hers as I was coming in separate to "my partner" (as I stated(now is it starting to make sense?)). I thought at the time she was a member of public using the bar, as she was very drunk, more fool me.

This individual turned out to be, as informed by the very embarrassed staff, the owners wife. Who clearly, by her refusal to let us stay in the same room, is guilty of a homophobic act is therefore a bigot of the highest order. Also what she did is currently against discrimination law. Why would you refuse to let 2 guys stuck because of the weather stay in the same room and insist they use 2 singles? It does not make business sense especially as those guests were fine with it and stated so. Its a shame as the staff were clearly not bothered and rightly so, I felt really sorry for them.

All of the above comes second to the fact that this hotel is nothing better than a doss house. I have pictures which I will post from the rooms, filthy, run down, TV's that don't work, furniture damaged and tired, bed linen with holes and rips in, broken tiles in the bathroom, filthy shower curtains, electrical sockets without covers on and bare wires showing - the list is endless. The pictures I will be posting to this once I get home and download them will support all I have said about the rooms.

The irony is that as we were forced to sleep separately in 2 rooms we can confirm that this very very poor standard is typical of this shoddy establishment.

IF YOU OR ANY OF YOUR FRIENDS OR FAMILY ARE GAY OR YOU ARE JUST DISGUSTED BY THIS TALE - PLEASE BOYCOTT THIS BIGOTS ESTABLISHMENT.

In this day and age this is disgusting and this attitude belongs in a museum where this particular lady belongs! And I use the word lady very loosely.

You could ask why did we not state this at the time? But we were in the position to either tolerate this or leave and sleep in the car in -3 degrees and heavy snow. There was no other option! I regret this stay and please if this tale fills you with dread then do not spend 1 second or 1 penny in this place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank A P
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

We booked here for my daughter's wedding for 4th January.
From the first booking and meeting Hayley the wedding planner I just knew that everything was going to be great!
I went to the first planning meeting with a list of questions which Hayley asked me to hold on to til the end. As she went along I ticked off the ones she had answered and was left with one small query at the end!
There was no hard sales or push to upgrade to more expensive packages, if anything the advice we were given helped to keep the price within budget!
Nothing was too much trouble, the advice she gave us was sound and helped to make the day work really well.
On the day Hayley was on hand when we needed her but kept a low profile at the same time, a really hard balance to keep but done so well.

The wedding was downstairs and then moved upstairs for the reception. Hayley had planned with us that for the ceremony who we wanted to be seated first (close family) then the rest of the guests were invited in. Everything was so well planned and many guests commented.
We had the upstairs banqueting room, a really good choice. The room looked lovely and once again Hayley had advised on the seating plan.Hayley kicked us off with the speeches which helped as we wouldn't have known how to start!
The meal was served well and really hot with good portions. Everyone commented on how nice the meal was, I haven't had one complaint.

The rest of the evening went well with a buffet meal of roast pork cobs, roast potatoes, stuffing, crackling and apple sauce.

At the end of the evening it was really nice to walk out and leave everything to the staff. All our things were put downstairs ready for us to collect the next morning.

We had a fantastic day, and as it was so well organised we all just enjoyed ourselves confident in the knowledge that Hayley and her team were in the background planning the next stage.

We did pay a £60 upgrade for the honeymoon suite, definitely worth the extra money.

A massive thankyou to Hayley and all the staff at the Sitwell for making our day so special, we will definitely recommend this venue to anyone for their wedding celebrations.

If anyone wants to know anything about the Sitwell wedding planning please feel free to message me.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the honeymoon suite, well worth the extra £60!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Kay P
Chesterfield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

came here for our clubs christmas party, set menu the turkey came out of a bag not cooked fresh. They started serving from one end of the table to the other, it took ten minutes from putting plate infront of me with meat and gravy on it to bringing us veg n potatos. This has to be the worst meal i have had. Three days before went to pub about a mile away from here and had a great carvery for £3.69 meat was fresh off the bone and was far better than what was served up at the Sitwell Arms.
As the title says save your money.

• Stayed December 2012
Mansfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

saturday night christmas party very good meal upstairs in concert room ,but the price of the drinks went {maybe it was we were upstairs lol} the accomodation was rubbish. ps the tv in the room only had 1 channel BBC 1 and no sound .

Room Tip: do not choose room 32
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Renishaw
BEST WESTERN PLUS Mosborough Hall Hotel
#10 of 15 in Chesterfield
Ringwood Hall Hotel
Ringwood Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Brimington

Been to The Sitwell Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!