“Extremely Misled” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Marmari
Somerset
“Extremely Misled”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2007

KOS is a beautiful island and it would be a shame if people were put off from returning by the unfortunate treatment received at the Giakalis.

I am in total agreement with all the reviews already posted and more besides.

Unfortunately for us when we reviewed the hotel it was back in May and at that time no one had posted any negative comments regarding the complex, I would however suggest to anyone now who has already booked, if they can change their accommodation do so now as the experience at the Giakalis will dampen your holiday.

We tried to change our accommodation and spoke with the Youtravel reps, however as it was August all resorts were fully booked and no other accommodation was available.

We also made do with the complex and ate out most of the time, and never once had a bad meal outside of the resort. The Greek islands are lovely and the Greek people are also very friendly, unfortunately the owner of the complex was not of this ilk. He was very intimidating watching every move you made and likewise the clock when it came to serving the buffets (if that is what you call them).

The complex was pleasant but basic, but the all inclusive package was completely unacceptable, to the extreme that butter was not allowed with lunch and dinner, air cond within the restaurant made no difference, we were not allowed ice with our drinks, we could only receive another drink over the bar if we returned with an empty glass, I could go on.

However I will not go, but what we are doing is taking this matter further to the tour operator.

Please feel free to email with any further comments.

Regards
Donna

• Liked — We met some fantastic people
  • Disliked — The intimidating owner
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank DonnaSomerset

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2007

Staff were very friendly, but owner didnt even look at you. Apartment ok but should have had air con to make it comfortable not enough breeze to not require air con. was not all inclusive a bit of a con, only beer wine ouzo and fizzys from 10am-11pm. Didnt bother with breakfast couldnt really stomach this due to flys, went out each morning and bought local bread and juice back to apartment for kids. Had lunch at near by go kart track very nice place. Beach 5min walk nice but no facilitys. Entertainment was supplied by a guest called brian he organised pool games and a quiz night. pool could have had a lot more attention as far as cleaning. Lots of complaints going on at this hotel we didnt complain and were treated a lot better then the people who complained. Just had to get on with it and make the most of our week by going out and about. Lots of guest suffered severly with mosquito bites we had a couple but i made sure the plug ins were top priority and the beds and us sprayed at least twice a day. If you go to Giakalis then be prepared to pay out for meals drinks etc because you may only wish to sleep there.

• Liked — 2xrooms
  • Disliked — no air con
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Marmari hotels

Bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2007

Firstly, i can understand why so many people are slating this hotel, however from going on many all inclusive holidays in the Greek Islands, it's pretty much on a par with them. Ok, so the food isn't fantastic, but then we're on holiday and i certainly wouldn't be expecting fish, chips and mushy peas every night. Once you get past the initial presentation the food was actually quite nice although if you are a vegetarian be prepared for a Greek salad every lunch and evening meal....

There is only the one bar at the hotel which appears to play the same CD every night - music ranging from Eminem to the Cheeky Girls! so to be honest you can say they cater for all...

Rooms are spacious and towels changed twice a week (which i think again is about right for a holiday!) Our flight left Kos at 1am and so we tried to keep our room on but they were fully booked. I would suggest latching onto another couple to take full advantage of their room!!!

Staff were all really friendly, i personally felt they could have done with a few more as everyone seemed slightly rushed off their feet. The owners don't aknowledge you, other than to give the occassional dirty look which normally means you're making too much noise at 11.00pm, but then i'm not on holiday to make friends with the owners of the hotels.

The only real problem i could find with the hotel was lack of beds around the pool. There were some people actually putting towels on their beds - and their friends beds - at 3am - you have no chance of competing with that.......

Overall, i had a brilliant time there, we met some smashing pig farmers which really made the holiday and i would certainly consider going back if the price were right.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2007

I am really trying to find something nice to say about this hotel but unfortunately I can't. For a start it is not really ALL INCLUSIVE as advertised, for instance 'ice cream' is only available to the kids and that is only between 4&5 pm (and they can only have the one!) before or after that it'll cost you 3.5 Euro thank you very much! All bar snacks have to be paid for, incidentally apart from the salad this was the only edible food available after breakfast and breakfast was nothing to write home about we only had bacon twice in the week we were there. We also found that if you wanted anything like chips for the kids you had to shout louder than them to get it as they were quick to refuse any request. What is included is the beer (you could drink all day and night and still stay sober), fizzy soft drinks (but not juice or bottled water), something that masquerades as wine (but you are more likely to taste something like it on your fish & chips) and the only local spirit is ouzo ( I thought Metaxa brandy was local?) To be honest the hotel itself wasn't too bad and the pool area looked nice however looks can be deceiving, the pool had a broken light for at least 3 days that I know about, my son cut his toe on broken glass in the pool, their answer to this H&S problem was to stuff a towel in the area where the light had smashed and say someone was coming out to fix it! When we left it had still not been fixed. The hotel was surrounded by farmland, so after having little sleep the night before because of the incessant boom, boom music the barman insisted on playing until the early hours you were treated to the dawn chorus of cockerels trying to out do each other and a baying donkey about 4am. The hotel was about 10-15 minute walk to the beach, but that was it, just a beach no bars or other amenities so if you wanted a resort of any kind it'll cost you 16 Euro there and back to the nearest one or you could take a walk across the salt lake about 45 minutes ! All in all we tried not to let this spoil our holiday by eating out and escaping to one of the other resorts. I personally will never be going back to this hotel and I properly never go back to Kos after that experience and I would strongly advise anybody wishing book a holiday to Kos to research their hotel before confirming their booking but in any event under any circumstance DO NOT GO TO THE GIAKALIS!!!!!

Stayed June 2007
5 Thank NormManchester
Gatwick
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2007

Right, how can i explain what this place and the people and the service is actually like?
Well, we had a good start not! We arrived at the hotel to be told we needed a voucher to get in by the receptionist, Lisa. Which we didn't have as it was a last minute booking and nothing of course came through the post. After worrying us sick we were allowed to stay (worse thing that happened). On the advert for this "all inclusive " hotel it said they had safety deposit boxes. They did; big enough for your passport and tickets. So, no cameras, etc would fit in. To be fair they actually had 2 boxes that were bigger .
This is a family run hotel which Lisa told us was taking in germans fon a self catering basis up to this year. They are finishing the english all inclusive after this season apparently. So, presumably they were new to english people and to all inclusive. It showed very clearly that they were not used to all inclusive as the hotel was not all inclusive at all in my opinion. The drinks you could have were soft drinks, wine, beer and ouzo. This was until 11pm at night and then you had to pay for the drinks after then. In the advert I saw mineral water was included also; but I asked and apart from the dirty looks I got for asking there was none. Personally, i think water is imperative when you are in the sun that hot. However, this just didn't happen.
The bar as someone else has already said, was the pool bar all day and night; and went on to around 2am so if you slept near there don't expect sleep. There was not one person i spoke to whilst there that actually liked the place, people, or food. Getting onto the food, if you can call it that. there was no choice hardly in food, the "restaurant" had no air conditioning and therefore the doors were always open. Which invited flies in there to eat the food too. My partner lived on feta cheese and bread. I just didn't eat there. The food was, in my opinion, disgusting. But IF you were prepared to actually pay for your food they actually had decent food to make.
In the advert I saw it said that airconditioning was not needed as "the greek breeze comes through the window cooling you down". Not quite right, the bedrooms were like a furnace if closed and the noise of the music spiros the bartender and kostas the owner's son decided to play for themselves until 2am would keep you awake as well as the fact the mosquitoes would bite no matter how much protection you had - we had deet bands which I've been to Kenya with and never been bitten. But I got enormous amunts of bites and then had an allergic reaction to them. We were told by Lisa that they had not had a winter in Kos and therefore the mosquitoes were still around from the last summer. I think the stagnant fountain that is right near the bar didn't help as they bred there - I presume they must have as when we changed hotels I did not get another bite.
At teatime I got some cakes out of the restaurant and went to the bar for a drink and was told by the barwoman that I couldn't have as much as i had got on my plate (all inclusive????????) and that I had to go and sit inside the airless restaurant with the flies to eat. This was even though everyone else in this awful place were sitting around the pool drinking tea and eating. That was just one of the many experiences of rudeness that we experienced. Once, we went on to the internet upstairs and had a few drinks up there - which was allowed! However, when we came downstairs to ask for a drink after the internet instead of politely serving us with drinks Spiros demanded to know from my partner where the glasses were we'd taken upstairs. Now, I actually thought Spiros was the bartender and it was his job to collect empty glasses but it seems he thinks otherwise. My partner had actually brought the glasses down by the way.
Now, the other main problem, as if there aren't enough here, was that they all kept their beady eye on whatever you ate or drank and you felt as if you were in some prison camp.
The hotel is a horrendous place to be in my opinion and I really wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
After 3 days we couldn't stand it anymore (I don't think watching a goat having its throat slit in the next field and being chopped up there and then helped alot either! - was it our next meal? I really don't know) and packed our bags, got a taxi and went to stay elsewhere. It cost a bit to do this but our sanity and happiness were worth it.

The last 3 days were great.We ate steak, gorgeous food and drink BUT NOT at the Giakalis hotel.

I would put a health warning on this place; and hope people can learn from our experiences and not go there!!!

• Liked — none
  • Disliked — the attitude of the people who owned and ran the place
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank polsy77
Surrey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2007

Rated as a 4* hotel it was pushing it to be a 3*. The all inclusive package consisted of inedible food and the drings weren't much better - beer, wine aka vinegar, ouzo and soft drinks - everything else was an additional cost. Only some of the rooms had air con which again was at an additional cost and if you didn't have this you got bitten to shreds. The pool was nice but you had to be up at 7.30 to have any chance of getting a sunbed as there weren't enough to go round. The hotel was also pretty much in the middle of nowhere so you had to get a taxi to escape.

On the positive the weather was lovely and the beach was nice and only 0.5 miles away but we were by far not the only guests to complain about the hotel and I strongly suggest that this is one to avoid.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — food, extra expenses, cleanliness, location
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
westbromwich. westmids,
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2007

hello all.
well we returned yesterday after 1 weeks all inclusive holiday at the GIAKALIS hotel, kos, greece.. wish we adn't have been.. PLEASE AVOID THE GIAKALIS HOTEL.

we were located at the front of the hotel, near the road, we slept most of yesterday because of lack of sleep and over night flight.

ok we are a couple in our 40's, we wanted a relaxing laid back holiday so we booked this holiday for a week,

please don't misunderstand, kos is a lovely island and the people are great, the soft clean beaches are wonderful.

a sunbed with umbrella costs 3 euro each for the day.
pint of lager beer cost 3 euro.
a meal out at a reastaurant costs- steak and mushrooms with chips 9 euro. absolutely gorgeous.
fabulous meals served opposite the beach which is about a twenty min walk if you fancy that or at the near by beach but as no shops etc..

the greek people are very friendly..

trips out and about, best to book whilst on way to the beach as the holiday reps charge a whole lot more.. the hotel rep does not escort you to the hotel giakalis either, she pops along to the hotel the next day..

we went on a fishing trip with pickup 25 euro each, that included bq lunch, that was a fabulous day.

we also went to the thermal springs which is a sulphur rich 40 degree hot spring, which was 8 euro each, with pickup, pebbled beach part of the island thou... down a long steep hill.

any way i will tell you about the HOTEL GIAKALIS below so please BE WARNED..

the coach collected us from the airport at about 3am. after about half an hour,
we arrived at the hotel.
it was pitch black with darkness. everyone looked at each other, about 8famililies got off the coach. scarry!!
we walked up the steps to the hotel. a man with grey mad hair waited behind the reception desk with low light behind him. scary or what!!.
anyway, he put on the wrist band to our left wrist, meaning we were all inclusive, he had our passports overnight.
he told us as he told everyone, which way to go to the hotel rooms, go out of here turn right ect,,,
everyone was given there directions to there hotel rooms. and as i said it was pitch black with darkness. we steadily made our way to our room, pulling our cases behind us, eventually finding the key hole for the key, then turned the key, pulled on the door, then the door opened, we had to do this everytime we entered the room.
we found the light switch inside our room. we put on the rest of the lights and stepped out onto our ground floor balcony.
eventually we went to bed.

next morning, we went the FLY filled dining area, menu- peaches, greek yoghurt, corn flakes, tea and coffee ect, we lifted up the hot water filled beneath containers, no breakfast!!
lunch menu- mashed potatoe heavily spiced. yuk!!! pork chops heavily spiced yuk!!! pasta, rice, ( unwashed salad as we had tummy upset as it was all we had eaten that day!!! )
dinner menu- salad, rice, b+b, some kind of heavily spiced meat and tomatoes YUK!! t and coffee, bring your own t bags and coffee for a decent cuppa thou!!!
english breakfast available every other day, which consists of bacon, frankfurter sausages, eggs, beans. bread and butter.

the dining area was infested with flies, food was not covered and flies were on and around the food. and on and around the hotel grounds

there is one swimming pool. the hotel is family owned. there is a bar but free drinks are lager beer, lemonade, cola, only. everything else as to be paid for at 2-3 euro a drink.

OH!! and if you fancy some chips or a steak at the hotel or something different to that yuk menu, then that as to be paid for separately aswell..

bed linen is not changed although the cleaners come in daily to your room, the beds are re-made but not changed,. and the towels are folded up daily for you but are not changed.

make sure you take antiseptic cream, dettol aswell.. we were bitten all over, worst were our legs, with a orange colored fluid oozing from each bite. not sure if it was from the dirty sheets or what!!!!!!..... i had taken antiseptic cream but the dam things were stiill bitting us.. and we showered several times daily as you do. never felt being bitten but today even i have horrible bite marks up my legs and we have had several antiseptic baths and showers at home upto yet!!!!.

the temperature there was 30-34 degrees c. lovely weather..

marmaris town and kos town are lovely, shops selling gifts, bars and restaurants. plenty to see and do out and about.
buses run hourly there and back to kos or marmaris, the bus fare was 1.60 euro for each journey.

the island is flat, cycles can be hired but the roads are narrow and very busy, drivers drive on the right and cycle too..

along the roads are small head stones symbolising a death at an actual road side spot, i noticed 1 head stone alongside the road, near the hotel dated may 2007.. but i saw many more!!!!.

cigaretts cannot be purchased at the duty free as they will be confiscated.
cigaretts in the shops are as near expensive as they are in britain. 30 euro for a sleeve of benson, so if your a smoker, put some in your suitcase untill you can purchase some!!!!!!!!!!!!................ oh and don't forget to put your lighter and a packet of ciggies in your hand luggage.

and there is no smoking at birmingham airport or at any airport as your aware so get your nicotne intake before you go in the airport, as it's your last fag break until you arrive at your hotel...

take some coat hangers aswell for the wardrobe.

the sea is cold but you soon get warmed up when your in there. the sea is crystal clear and clean too.

make sure you use sun cream often, even when walking about aswell as bathing..

pegged rope attached to the COWS are alongside the hotel in a field for fressh milk, ha ha,, plenty of flies aswell which are on and around the food in the hotel, perhaps a can of fly spray in your suit case may be usefull.. i think the flies are tame as when you shoo them away there soon bugging you again.

plenty of varies cd music till 11pm at the small hotel bar outside.
the bar inside the hotel is for show and is not used. the serving of drinks is only available from the outdoor bar.
there is a lounge area but walking up and down them steps puts you off taking drinks up there anyway.

smoking is allowed only outdoors.

long q at kos airport return. and i mean long.
well hope you have a nice holiday werever you choose to go but please we warned about the GIAKALIS hotel.

i have two sons aged 20 and 23 and i'd hate to think they had to suffer as we have, i'd worry so much about my children if i thought they were staying at that particular hotel... if your young please take my advise.

if your thinking of going to that hotel yourself please do not go,

if your a parent then please tell your children to avoid that hotel.

tell your loved one's also to avoid the HOTEL GIAKALIS..
greece is a lovely country. the island of kos is beautiful.. BUT THE GIAKALIS HOTEL GIVES KOS A BAD NAME..

you take care and thankyou for reading our story. x

6 Thank Kathi1Kathi1Kathi1