“HV Kos”

and 1 more site!
Holiday Village Kos by Atlantica
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Marmari
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We travelled 15 - 22 May with two adults and two children 6 and 1. We arrived in the morning and got our room straight away. The room was brand new not massive but how long do you really spend in it. The bed was huge and all the beds had matress toppers which were super comfortable. We asked for a ground floor room overlooking the pool and that's what we got. The food was really good loads of nice salad at lunch and plenty of choice in the evening. I do like the breakfast omelette that they cook for you which this hotel didn't have.
I was a bit worried travelling with a one year old as I didn't know how to get milk etc so here are my tips. The room had a kettle and a fridge. I was worried about no bath but the shower was massive and had an overhead shower and one on the side which I used for the baby she didn't mind it which surprised me. There is milk in the restaurant every meal time so you can fill your bottles and keep it in the fridge. The travel cots were huge. Take a wetsuit the pools weren't that warm. The front door was a nightmare as there was no lock and my daughter kept opening it. My other safety concerns were the pools had very slippery slabs especially the splash pool where we spent most of our time. The entertainment area is in a amphitheatre with steep concrete steps which my daughter kept climbing.
We found our room spotless it was cleaned every day and as my daughter slept at 1pm I'd go and find the maid and ask her to clean later which she kindly did every day.
A word of warning this hotel unlike others is not exclusively first choice there were two Russian companies operating out of the hotel.
The drinks were really good I liked the beer and I discovered Amaretto near the end of the holiday. The water is all bottled which was good we kept some in our fridge for the evening.
The beach was nice not massive but my children enjoyed it and you could swim out to a sandbank and stand up. The pool towels are available from the beach bar which is right at the far end of the hotel which is a bit weird ?
My other tip is to take a washing line as there was nowhere to dry your pool stuff and take inflatable boats / lilo's etc as the shop is mega expensive.
All in all we had a lovely holiday I won't go back because I'd like to try another holiday village.

2  Thank bill_lotty
Philippos S, Manager at Holiday Village Kos by Atlantica, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2015

Reviewed June 14, 2013

A mate and me stayed here from 5th - 12th June. We were looking for a late deal for a lazy week away, saw this was a recently refurbed, slightly higher end place at a decent price so we booked it. We arrived at the hotel at around 8:30PM and the first part of check in was quick and efficient. We were handed our keycards and left our cases to be brought to our room. We were staying in Room 156, so really close to Reception. First problem, neither mine or my mates keycards worked, so we had to go back to Reception two times where the keys were 're-done' without success. After trying this a few times, we were just handed a manual key (one between two of us, unlike one keycard each) which we thought was pretty poor. We also bumped into someone staying in the block opposite us, who mentioned the previous occupants of this particular room had the same problem with the keycards. The only benefit was that we were given a keycard as well as the manual key, so we could leave the keycard in the room all day, so when we got back from the pool etc, the room was already cool as the air-con was left on. Still, not a great first impression though.

The room itself was okay, with a double bed and a single bed and the rooms were cleaned to a good standard each day. However, we noticed our water was never replenished, which again, I thought was pretty poor.

The pools were okay. We stayed around the large, main pool as it was quieter and seemed to be less busy than the entertainment pool. Plus, it was closer to the pool bar! As others have mentioned, you will have to get up fairly early to secure sun beds as these go fast. We just stuck ours down on our way to breakfast; didn't like doing this, but everyone seemed to do the same.

The food was okay. It was plentiful and there was a varied choice available across breakfast and dinner. We never had a bad meal, though lunch/snacks became a bit boring as it seemed to always be the same food available (burgers, hot dogs, pizza).

The sports bar, as it was advertised, was pretty poor. It only had a 32" TV placed in the corner, and as the U21 Euro's were on I thought this was pretty poor, as if you weren't lucky enough to get a table near this television, you weren't able to watch any games (the projector was never used). Also, the soft drink machine in this area always seemed to be 'out of order' with a notice on it, or just not working but without any notice on it.

The 'adult' bar definitely wasn't. Whenever we were in there, there were always kids in there. I didn't mind it, really, but it would have been nice to have an exclusively adult area. The bar was nice though and the bar staff friendly.

Another massive disappointment for both me and my mate was the wifi, or lack thereof. I don't know what it was, but particularly in the lobby, the wifi was really temperamental. Sometimes it connected, sometimes it didn't. However, in the main bar it did always connect although the speed wasn't great. There seemed to be people all having the same issues as us too, so this definitely needs to be rectified.

Overall, for what I wanted and the price I paid, I was fairly happy. I do think though, for saying it's just been recently refurbed and 're-done', it could have been a lot better. Maybe it's just me though, I do think for any families it'd be really good.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lee B

Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking time to post your comments on TripAdvisor following your stay with us here at the Holiday Village Kos.

My sincere apologies for the discomfort regarding the sunbeds. I have taken up this matter with the ownership and I assure you that we will make all the necessary steps to solve the problem as the hotel runs under a new management team in 2015.

Thank you once again for your feedback which assists us in our ongoing efforts to improve our facilities and standards.

Philippos Stamelos

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Family of 4 2adults 2 children aged 4 and 9 just returned from the Holiday Village. We had room 546 amazing room, large bathroom with shower, 2 single beds with a tv facing them, up 2 steps and into master bedroom huge comfy bed with a glass partition between rooms closed off by shutting blinds and door and another tv facing master bed. The room was spotless with sv which we hadn't paid for. The cleaners came every day and made beds and gave us clean towels daily. The fridge was stocked up with water only. Couldn't fault the room or cleaning service. Air con worked fab and was really cold.
Pools... 1 where activities and music played through out the day and run by entertainment team.
2 small quiet square pool away from all the noise
3 a splash pool for toddlers and the younger with fountains etc
4 a really large pool in the middle of the complex.
The nightmare here was towels first 2 days we couldn't get a bed and realised loads of beds had towels on but no-one sat on them found out people were setting clocks to take their towels around the pool to get the spot they want. This was really annoying and we found ourselves doing exactly the same thing to guarantee a bed. Signs on parasols saying if towels left these will be removed by management but this was not the case, they were obviously not enough beds for the amount of people staying at the hotel.
Staff Ted was fantastic and all the entertainment team, we were served daily by Elena and Lajos who looked after us for the 7 days very very friendly loved the kids and made us very welcome.
cleaning staff and others said good morning.
The hotel had a good atmosphere and it was lovely to meet new people lots of people said good morning or would chat by the pool or when you was having your evening drink at the bar and we met some great people.
Food... A good mixture couldn't really fault it although did have to laugh as chips/white rice/spag bol served every lunch time and night.
Location... 6 euros for all of us took us into kos town by bus its a beautiful place and 22 euros back in a taxi 5 minutes walk into marmari although not a lot there.
Beach.... was across the road from the hotel plenty of beds and beach bar.
Would recommend this hotel but kos airport was horrid.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank louise l

Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at HV Kos, from 29th May 2013 for 7 nights.
We've been to a few Holiday Villages including Rhodes and Tunisia, and been many places from Mexico to Florida. So have a good idea on holidays and standards! :-)
We went with our little boy, aged 3. We arrived about midnight, with drinks as we arrived but no food, and no where to get any. So we were a bit hungry!
Hotel room was nice. Although a few problems with the room, the mirror had fell off the bathroom wall, and a large crack in the bathroom window!
Cleaning of rooms wasn't the best, by the end of the week the floor was dirty and just felt bit of sand all over!
We always went to the splash pool, which was great. My little boy loved it. The kids slides were brill.
Although you had to get up for 7am to get a sunbed! By 7.30, all the sunbeds were reserved!! Hotel put signs up, saying towels would be removed, but never did. So this was the same every morning!
I went with the expectation that it was a brand new HV, so everything would be brand new. This wasn't the case. The park looks like it's been there for about 15 years! The lay out of kids club using the park entrance wasn't the best, and bit very safe! The HV towels didn't arrive till half way through the week. The pools could of been done up a bit, ie the grouting and tiles!
The food was ok, very much the same kind of thing every day. Not very hot.

The beach over a small road from the hotel, very small, not much to write about to be honest!

We got the bus to Kos town, only 2€ each. Took about 45 mins.

The First Choice staff are brill and do work very hard, and the kids loved it. :-)

We do love the Holiday Villages, we love the football academy's and swim academy's, kids clubs, and night time entertainment for kids.

We had a good time, kids loved it. Although I definitely don't think it's as good as Holiday Village Rhodes. :-)

• Stayed: May 2013
12  Thank NatandFamilyTravel

Philippos Stamelos

Reviewed June 10, 2013

My review will be very similar to that of loluk as I agree with many of the comments that she made!

We travelled with 2 children of 14 and 11, flight got in at 3.30am and we were the first drop off just about 20 mins from airport, checkin was quick and efficient and bottles of water and filled rolls were available on arrival. We were directed to our room and the the porters bought our cases within 5 mins. We had a room with a sliding partition which wasn't huge and didn't have a great deal of storage but it was adequate for 2 weeks and the bed was huge and comfortable. The maids did come every day but wasn't the cleanest it could have been and tea and coffee were never replenished but again this didn't bother us. We were lucky that our air con worked fine but there were a few others complaining that there's did not. We did have a airer on our patio but it was in the side that was shaded!
Food was varied and plentiful with enough choice for even the fussiest of eaters! Breakfast was lovely with cereals, pastries,cooked, cold meats, bread, toast, jam, fresh fruit, pancakes and even waffles with melted chocolate yummy! Lunch was either served in the main restaurant with again a good choice or in the snack bar where hotdogs, pizzas, chips and toasties were available all day. Evening meal was again served in the main restaurant and there were several themed evenings such as Mexican and Asian. I could not fault the food but sometimes it was a bit like eating in a canteen although I have found this with most buffet style all inclusives. Bearing this in mind we looked forward to our 2 allotted a la carte meals in the American and Greek restaurants, what a let down......the service was poor and the food choice even worse! Neither restaurant had any ambience. In the American restaurant my hubby was looking forward to a steak but all that was on offer was burgers or a hot dog (no different to the main restaurant then) and the choice of puds was just 3. In the Greek restaurant forget about service as its another buffet style restaurant and the food was even worse so unless things improve my advise would be 'don't bother!' There is an Italian that you have to pay for but the only evening I saw it open we saw people walking out saying there was nothing on the menu that they couldn't get for free in the main restaurant! I do think things will improve as the management definitely listen the people's gripes. Just in the time we were there an extra toaster was put in at breakfast, and extra ice cream station in the snack bar and the beer pumps were moved to the busier bar so they seem keen to 'get it right'
The pools were lovely, we tended to stay by the main shaped pool but there is enough choice for all ages depending on what you want from a holiday. We chose the main pool because it was spacious and our kids are older. The splash pool for the little ones was always heaving with not enough beds, our room overlooked this pool and towels were being put down as early as 7.30am, I did end up having to put towels down by about 8.30am around the main pool and by 10 am there definitely no beds left, I think this could be a real issue in the height of the season.
The activities and kids club that the hotel has to offer is extensive and my 11 year old son had a great time and made some good friends plus the staff are excellent with the kids and they work exceptionally hard at what they do. There is a teen club but not alot is laid on for this age group which was a bit disappointing for my daughter although she was still able to try out several activities too. The high ropes are fab but just make sure you prebook. Lots of the activities are run at set times and you cannot just turn up which we were not told. You have to queue at the hut by the activity pool at 9.30am to put your name down for any of the events for that day unless they are being run by the kids club in which case you just sign them into the kids club at the allotted time. You cannot prebook days in advance, only on the day. The only let down for us was the evening entertainment, I can see how people with young children thought this was amazing with the disco and the widget puppets etc but the main show at 9.45 each night was the same singers and entertainers every night doing more or less the same thing (singing and dancing) and it got very monotonous, they work very hard and for 1 or 2 nights it would've been fine but we were sick of hearing the same voices. 2 of the night we saw that a local act was on so we thought 'great' something different but both acts were awful! 3 belly dancers (2 of which were hopeless) and a Greek band (which were ok) and 4 Greek dancers (again pretty dire!) where were the plate smashing and dancing with glasses on their heads I ask?!
Marmari really doesn't have much to offer but it is much cheaper than the hotel shop for inflatables, sun cream etc and is only a 15 min walk away. Kos town is worth a visit on the bus and is a pretty town with lots of shops, restaurants etc all leading down to the harbour where you can do various boat trips. We hired a car for 3 days which was plenty as its such a small island and visited paradise beach (ok but not 'paradise!)' Zia which is a pretty mountain village with a great view of the island, mastichari which has a nice beach and a boat to Kalymnos, the thermal springs (very steep trek down a gravel path to a tiny part of the sea which when we went was full of Russians!) and the water park which my kids loved and was very quiet.

So all in all we had a lovely relaxing family break and yes there were a few niggles with the hotel but really nothing that spoiled our holiday and by the time you go those niggles may have been righted anyway, I wouldn't go back here but only because I like to try new places :)

10  Thank mackeyDevon

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Travelled 2 adults and 2 children aged 8 & 4. We arrived at the hotel at about 10pm. We were greeted with rolls and drinks which was a lovely touch. Check in was really easy. Our room was lovely and very well situated. There are 4 pools in total. An entertainment pool (This was very loud and we never went near this) a splash pool great for pre-schoolers., a larger pool which is in the main photo of the brochure and a quieter pool which is great for swimming and also has a smaller baby pool attached. This was the one we always went to.
Kids club - My children attended 2 of these sessions, a bowling & curling one (they never actually played bowling but did a kind of bingo game and then coloured in a paper skittle????) and a chocolate party. They had a great time at both.
Restaurant - The food was lovely and plentiful but found not much variety after a few days. They had a few pasta dishes on most days but then had a pasta night??. They did tend to have out at lunch was was out the previous night for dinner.Saying that it all tasted fab and my children always found something. My only criticism would be they could have varied slightly and had more cold meats out at lunch instead of breakfast! The asian night was fab though.
Entertainment - The entertainment team are great and work extremely hard. The children were kept entertained. They didn't really have outside entertainers come in apart from twice (they were both boring and a lot of people left).
Overall it is a lovely place and would go back again. Beware though first choice only have 80% of the rooms!

7  Thank busymum74

Reviewed June 2, 2013

1 week 22nd May 2013 - 2 adults & 2 kids 12yrs/9yrs
We booked last minute 1 week before wanting to return to a HV because of activities/clubs for the children. Transfer times – Excellent! Landed at 8:20pm in reception at 9:20pm- direct transfer. We were dropped off quickly checked in – staff directed people to main restaurant if they wanted to eat as it was still open for 10 minutes. No bubbly served even though bottles were there – water, fruit and sandwiches were available as well as the ‘Adult’ bar being open. Cases were left to be dropped off at our room.
Room - Family sliding partition in 600's block. Very comfortable and clean. Large super king bed with sliding doors to single kids beds. Large Samsung TV in each sleeping area (with HDMI port & USB) we had balcony leading from adult side overlooking the main pool – nice view! Had to ring for extra pillows. Didn’t like the large decorative cushions as had to store them on chairs during stay. Air con in our room was useless – did report this a couple of times and they sent someone to look at it but made no difference – 2 other rooms we visited had 100% colder air con so we drew the short straw! Had it been the height of summer I wouldn’t have been happy to stay in this room. Mini fridge, kettle and cups, tea, coffee & milk sachets provided.
Plenty of wardrobe space but as usual not enough hangers – not enough drawers and too many shelves but managed. Safe provided (no charge) No luggage rack and subsequently nowhere to store empty suit cases – had to stand ours around the room but they did double up as clothes horses! No clothes airer on balcony although I did see the ground floor had them installed while we were there so they must be adding them.(take pegs though very windy at times!)
Bathroom -shower only NO bath NO towel hooks anywhere here or the room – had to balance towels on cupboards and handles although the maid swapped them every day anyway! Hairdryer by sink.
No Wi-Fi in our room free Wi-Fi in reception areas some days – also 2 computers to use in seating area by main restaurant (no charge) No information at all in the rooms – make sure you get a small map on check in as we didn’t and therefore didn’t know what time breakfast etc. was the next day. It would be useful if the hotel could provide the basic info that you get as standard in hotels – TV, Air con control. What number is to call reception? (0) local chemist, buses, cash point etc. etc. Unless you spot the small sign you wouldn’t even know there was a Spa – no treatment price list in room or even reception?
Food & Drinks - Main restaurant offered a good variety of different foods daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Not always as hot as it could be in the mornings in particular, but the food was varied and nice with theme nights. Shame they didn’t have show cooking – plenty of room to do this. They do need another toaster at breakfast but hopefully the feedback they have had will get this sorted! Variety of self-service drinks available all the time in there too. Staff really friendly and work hard to keep tables clear and ready for the next guests. Never too far from either a self-service or a bar - plenty for you to try! Premium brands available at an extra cost in the Adults bar too if your fussy!
On the note of the Adult bar - it isn't! There was a sign saying on Saturdays and Wednesdays (check in/out night) it was open to all but while we were there it applied every night. Although this suited us as we went every night and had a drink here rather than the hustle & bustle of other bar areas. On that note we have older well behaved children and we didn't see any little ones running round or younger children in here. BUT if you were adults that didn't want ANY kids then it may be an issue to you.
Snack bar - open all through day offering salads, sandwiches, burgers, chips, pizza and a self-use toastie machine also self-serve drinks at back of here and ice creams in freezer. We didn't try either of the restaurants always seemed quiet and lacking in atmosphere I think - perhaps they need to add some mood lighting for the nights and a few candles? They need to feel more special. I didn't even see the Italian restaurant open? I also think we never made the effort to walk to reception at a certain time to book - shame they didn't have the machines like in Rhodes when you could pick & choose. We should have tried them really to break up the 3 meals a day in the main restaurant as it does get a bit repetitive.
Hotel - all areas kept lovely & clean - always plenty of staff around keeping the standards up. 4 pools to choose from – Activity (noisy) Main, quiet/relax and splash pool which has slides and water fun. Loads of sun beds available while we were there and not the crazy get up at 6am sun bed run! There are signs stating no reserving before 9am but didn't see a problem while there. Main pool was great although lacking in steps( silver swimming pool style) to get in and out and quite deep in parts. Other pools had gradual steps down in to the water which suits if mobility problem. Beware the steps by the quite pool were VERY slippery - I was lucky I was holding on when my feet went from under me! FREE pool towels are available you are given a token on check in which you can exchange for towels as often as needed from bar/hut nearest to beach outside hotel. The beach is just over a small local road where there are plenty of sun beds and brollies - lovely clean sandy beach but quite stony in the water - wear shoes if you can! Loads of places to sit and chill on a night too depending on what you like. Entertainment team worked hard & kept all ages involved - plenty of seats to watch the main show in the amphitheatre. Entertainment we did see was great fun and a good standard. Loved Farmer G and his sprouts!
Highropes - great! work on a continuous sliding system so once you’re hooked up no clipping and unclipping as you change areas - staff very good and great fun for all those that tried! Kids clubs - sessions my daughter did (Megastars) were great - staff are lovely and work hard to make sure kids are well looked after. Great variety of different activities - just make sure you check the timetables on a Monday as we got caught out and didn't know they changed and a lot more sessions had been added since we had arrived. Shame they don't provide a printed timetable here (cost) I just took pictures of timetable on my phone easier to refer to! Not much going on in Escape age range which was a shame - maybe in main holidays they will increase the timetable? Loads of other daytime activities by the Activity pool area - beware you may miss out if by the main or quiet pool. Football Academy - my son having done this at previous HV's had a great week with Adam & Ben the pitch is smack bang in the middle of the resort which was great - always something happening there even when the academy was over ( ran 10am-12 while we were there) Certificates are awarded at night entertainment show at the end of the week.
Marmari is a short walk away from here and there are a few restaurants and bars, car hire and tourist shops. If you want to venture out the bus stop is directly behind the hotel and for €2 you can travel as far as Kos Town. First Choice do organise trips but there are 2 places in Marmari that can offer much better deals and will collect you from the hotel. Kos Town worth a trip - would be lovely for an evening meal. Also if considering a boat trip go to Kos Town and book direct – we were looking at €30 for adults and €5 for kids!
This was our 2nd Holiday Village and we really enjoyed it. The hotel was a great size everything was in the middle and never too far. The standards & all staff throughout were great - it does what it is supposed to - it's all about families and kids so don't go expecting 5* standards and al a carte dining. We thought the location by the beach was beautiful and enjoyed the area. I think if you are going on this sort of holiday everything is based on the resort so no need to venture out generally so they are more remote. There is room for small improvements and hopefully as they get the feedback this will happen, it's still a new resort to First Choice but I think this will become a great Holiday Village in the future!

Room Tip: The Family Sliding room block overlook Main pool & Splash pool area - ideal for families