“Get What You Expect”

AGM Beachfront Resort
Ranked #1 of 6 Donsol B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 5, 2012

My son and I just returned from four nights at the AGM Resort. The nice thing about this place is that there are no surprises. You get what you expect. The place is not fancy, but the air conditioner was always cold and the shower was always hot. The bed was very comfortable (no backaches in the morning). The manager, Mae, will really go out of her way to make sure you are taken care of. I also appreciated that I could pay with a credit card, and that I always got a prompt response to my e-mails if I had a question ahead of time. Some of the people that work there (Russell, "little" Mae, and Arnold) were always very friendly, hospitable and helpful. Great job! A couple of the other employees could use some lessons in manners and service. A friendly "good morning" or "hello" would not hurt them too much. It may not be important to them, but it is to me as a customer. One warning is for guests who like peace and quiet. The place is quite noisy with tricycles rolling in and out, and noisy guests getting back late at night. AGM is in a beautiful setting with rice fields across the street and the ocean at the back door. It is only a ten minute walk (or three minute, 30 pesos) tricycle ride to the whale interaction center. I'm happy we stayed there. It was good value.

Room Tip: Bring lots of cash with you to Donsol. It is not an easy place to get money and you can't use a...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Tenzing58
AGMBEACHRESORT, Director of Sales at AGM Beachfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2012

Thanks a lot for the nice comments. Please be assured that the concerned staff will be educated in good manners and right conduct required in a hospitality industry. The trikes will also be forbidden to go all the way to the function hall when foot path is constructed during the off season.

Looking forward to having you in your futire visit to Donsol.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

It is easy to make a reservation here because you will receive a prompt reply from Leo Yambao. It won't be a hassle for anyone planning to stay to reserve a room because you will not be left wondering if your email was received or not or if there are still rooms available. This is definitely a plus for them.

The resort is located in Dancalan and not that far from the tourism office. You can ride a trike and it will cost you just 10 pesos per person. If you feel the need to exercise, you can also walk to the tourism office while enjoying the provincial scenery. From Donsol center, trike cost is 15 pesos each. Trikes are plenty and the resort can call trikes for you if you need it. Again, another plus for them.

The room is basic but clean. We stayed in Room #18 which is located in the second floor. They do not have any fridge or TV but it was ok. We don't plan to watch TV while on vacation anyway. The beds and pillows are also comfortable and they provide towels. They also have hot and cold shower but we all noticed that the shower pressure is very low. It was ok at first and after a few minutes, no more water coming from the shower. We ended up using the pail and the "tabo".

One very negative experience while staying here was, I found several "HANTIKS" on my own sheet! Hantik is a Filipino term which means "large and long-red ant." I did not noticed it until such time I was bitten by that large ant. While waiting for our firefly watching, we all decided to take a nap first and rest. I was dozing off when I was awoken by a stinging sensation in my arm. I thought it was just one hantik so I disregarded it. And then I noticed another hantik crawling in my arms. I decided to get up and when I fully opened the sheet, lo and behold, there were lots of them! My friends all woke up, alarmed that their sheet might also have hantiks. One of my friends immediately went to the reception and showed the sheet. We never received any apology for this and the housekeeper just told us that it was the fault of the laundry girl. Regardless, these sheets should be checked first before handing these to guests.

Apart from the hantik which is really alarming, we noticed there were lots of small ants in one of the beds! This time, I went down and immediately complained to the reception. First the hantik and now lots of ants crawling in the bed. I was really angry. Four staff came to our room right away and they changed the sheets. They also cleaned the ceiling and the room. One staff said it was due to the lighting and we need to turn off the light. What a stupid suggestion. It was already night time and we definitely need the light. It was part of what we paid for. Another staff said that our room is the only room that is really infested by ants. They did not transfer us to another room because they said their rooms are full.

Although we were already upset and not happy with the room at AGM Resort, we just decided to let it go because in fairness to the resort staff, four of them were already in our room trying their best to remedy the situation. We can see that they were all sincerely concerned and we don't want to ruin our vacation for this. Although our group is not picky, we want a place where we can sleep comfortably and peacefully. We never received an apology at all from the resort. We are going back to Donsol but we will no longer stay here. Once is enough.

I uploaded the pic for the small ants crawling in one of the beds. Too bad I don't have any pics of the hantiks on my sheet because we immediately gave it to the reception for fear that it would sting us again.

Room Tip: Do not choose Room # 18.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Joy Lynn B
AGMBEACHRESORT, Director of Sales at AGM Beachfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2012

On behalf of AGM Beachfront Resort, I would like to formally apologize to the guests for this unfortunate incident. As natives, we are sure that the “HANTIK” she is referring to is the winged insects, more related to the termite family, which are attracted to lights. This happen when the light inside the room s on and the door is open because they come from outside of the room. It could be annoying and bite but not as stinging as the HANTIK she is referring to which is land borne. Again as locals who grew up in the village, the solution is to put off the lights so that the insects will seek other places where there is light outside the room. This maybe a crude and strange idea to city dwellers but certainly NOT a stupid one. The fact is, we did not receive similar complaints from the adjacent rooms. There are 5 rooms in the second floor.

Obviously, this is the fault of the housekeepers. We already called their attention and were reprimanded. We gave them specific instruction to remove all food left over and crumb in all parts of the room that maybe the magnet for small ants. It is our policy to apologize to guests when unfortunate incident like this happen. I’m sure that our staff did ask an apology to one of the companion when they responded to the complaint of the guest.

Thank you for the nice comments about our reservation efficiency and the assistance we extend to our guests.

Reviewed March 17, 2012

I found AGM to be a comfortable, simple resort. They provided for all my needs and the manager Mae Yambao was very attentive. I travelled alone and wanted to share some of the tours in order to keep a cap on my budget. Mae helped me do this. I arranged to be picked up at the airport by AGM's car, it is a little more expensive than arranging for a 'bus' to Donsol but for me it was worth it to make the trip hassle free. I found the driver drove safely and the clean vehicle had seat belts.
The room was clean and ready when I arrived, once you check in housekeeping only occurs upon request. I think that is common in the Philippines. . In this climate there are always insects, no matter how fancy the resort, but I found the insect spray to be too strong a smell and this bothered me during my first night. So if you stay here, and you ask for housekeeping ask them not to spray. I was not bothered by any insects in the room, there were a few ants in the bathroom but they minded their own business. I had no problem with mosquitoes even when reading in the yard area.
There is no safe but my room had a solid wood cupboard with a locking drawer that I found suitable.
Sometimes I took a 'taxi' (motorcycle with a sidecar) to the 'Whale Shark Interaction Centre' and that cost about 10 pesos for one person. Other times I walked the 15 mins. I felt safe in the neighbourhood.
The beach is simple, with a little garbage on the shore. The shore drops gradually and swimming is possible, even for little kids.
For meals anywhere in Donsol including AGM stick to local ingredients and avoid the meat. Red meat seems to be very fatty. Fish is the best choice as are local fruits. The meals were very reasonably priced at AGM. Service was excellent, in the Philippines most servers don't seem to hover like in Canada, but are instantly there when you request them.
The bed was comfortable, but I got noise from the dining hall on Tues night and then on Friday night. The whole town has a rooster to every 10 square meters so don't expect to sleep past sunrise.
I finished my trip with a city tour, there were 3 sites in Legazpi on my tour, this tour would have benefited from some English explanations on the sites. Perhaps because of this I missed some of the interesting details of these places, but I wouldn't recommend the tour.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are closer to the dinning hall, on weekends the t.v. is on in the dinning room and yo...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Ginger I
AGMBEACHRESORT, Director of Sales at AGM Beachfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2012

Many thanks for the observations you made during your stay at AGM. Once again, we will use the comments to further improve our services.

Reviewed March 13, 2012

We didn't book at AGM because we thought it is too far from the Tourism Center, but found out it is really not that far. However, all our tours and land arrangements were coordinated with Leo Yambao and his sister Mae.

One thing we (me, my sister and 2 daughters) is that we regretted not staying in AGM. Mae was very accommodating, very nice to talk to and really took care of us. She even assigned a very cooperative trike service for us who served us our escort in Donsol...from the Firefly tour, Night shrimp catching, Whaleshark encounter, Island hopping and even the trip to the town. Jonathan and his wife Mary Anne took care of us like family.

I will surely recommend AGM to my friends who want to visit Donsol.

Unfortunately, I cannot give a rating to the resort because we did not book there.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank whitesugar3157
AGMBEACHRESORT, Director of Sales at AGM Beachfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2012

Thank you very much for the kind words and appreciation of the high standard and quality of our customer service. We hope to have you in your future visit to Donsol...

Reviewed February 28, 2012

The AGM Beachfront Resort is an excellent place to stay in Donsol and I fully recommend staying there. The room was basic, but perfectly fine. The room had a basic AC unit which we hardly used, as it wasn't that hot in early February. Hardly any mosquito's at that time too. We stayed there for 4 nights and had 4 perfectly good nights sleep. The resort is a family business and everyone was very friendly and helpful. The food was basic, but certainly fine. If you can pre-order your meals in advance somewhat, then this helps you get your meals on-time. We were there in February, which is the start of the Butanding season, but had no delayed meal issues to speak of. Location on the beach was very good and only a couple of minutes tricycle ride away from the Butanding visitors centre. Mae looked after us very well at the AGM and ensures someone accompanies each of their guests to the visitors centre to register for your whale shark experience! She will arrange a trike to take you to/from the boat for your firefly experience as well. You can also rent your snorkeling gear from the AGM if you haven't brought your own. We opted to use their transfer service to/from Lagazpi airport and had no problems with this - a very comfy and convenient way to travel to/from Donsol. We swam with 2 butandings (7m long) on the first day and 1 (8m long) on the second day - a fantastic experience not to be missed. A big thank you to all the staff at the AGM for a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank MikeTT1234
AGMBEACHRESORT, Director of Sales at AGM Beachfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2012

Thanks a lot Mike for the nice comments. We are extremely glad that you appreciate the efforts of our staff. Looking forward to see you again in your future visit to Donsol...

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Rooms are nice and clean with with a view of the sea. The beach at the resort is not very nice though.
The resort staff are very helpful with arranging packed lunch, coordinating with dive centers and arranging transportation!
The resort is about a 5 min tricycle ride from the whale center.

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank Bredina
AGMBEACHRESORT, Director of Sales at AGM Beachfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2012

Thanks a lot for appreciating our customer service. We are grateful for the nice comments.

The beach in the whole stretch of Donsol fronting all resorts and hotels is not really great. The sand is dark not like the white sand in other parts of the country. The situation is exacerbated by the fact that we just came from the typhoon and southwest monsoon season that brings debris from the river and other tributaries.

Rest assured that we are cleaning the beach in front of the resort. The main attraction in Donsol is still whale shark & firefly watching adventure, SCUBA diving and island hopping...

Reviewed January 30, 2012

I went to this resort for the shark whale diving. It is a family owned resort and May the owner bends over backwards to try and please her guests. The rooms are simple but clean and the staff warm, friendly and helpful. The only thing I missed was not having Internet there, but May tells me it is coming. Otherwise it was very good and great food. I really enjoyed myself there and think you would too.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank James M
AGMBEACHRESORT, Director of Sales at AGM Beachfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2012

Thank you for the compliments. We fully understand the need to have WiFi connection We are hostage by the internet service providers who has yet to upgrade their facilities to have broadband internet connection in the village.

We have installed a few TV sets in some family room using aerial antenna with access to local TV channels only. Some rooms have now a personal fridge.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Donsol
No photo provided
#1 of 1 in Ticao Island
Misibis Bay Resort
Misibis Bay Resort
#1 of 2 in Cagraray Island

Been to AGM Beachfront Resort? Share your experiences!