AguLuz Homestay
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$36
Alicia Hotel(Legazpi)
$40
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewswhale sharkshighly recommend this placelarge roomhome cookingfirefly tourown bathroomstayed here for nightsmarilynpepephilippinesbutandingboatfirefliestrikesightings
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I was there last february and it was the worst homestay I have never been!!! (There are much better and cheaper alternatives, specially near the beach, next to the whaleshark center). High price but low quality!!! The room was not very clean and it was very noisy. But the worst thing is that they only care about your money and they cheat on us! Marilyn gave us wrong information about the timetable of the minibans in order to go to the airport, and she did it on purpose because we ask her several times. So when we arrived at the bus station, there was no minibans availables and we have to rent Marilyn car's for a very high price. I can't explain here all the details, but believe me: all she cares is how to get your money!

• Stayed: February 2013
Aguluz, Owner at AguLuz Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

It is very unfortunate that because of a miscommunication a rash judgment is hurled at my person and business. Let me clarify what really happened: the information that I gave her was that there is no fixed schedule for van trips to Legasp,i that is, the van leaves the terminal only when it is filled up; that the first trip leaves at about 6:00 am and the last trip is at around 2:00 pm. Now, that very day I did never know that all the public vans were hired by an organization and no other van was left for the public. Had I known that it was so, I would logically and thoughtfully tell her not to go to the terminal. When she and her companion returned to my homestay and in fact angrily telling me that there were no vans available, it was the time that I offered my van. Had I the intention to offer my van initially I should have offered it before they went to the van terminal. The regular van rate for a special trip from Donsol to Legaspi is 1,500.00 pesos but I even only charged 1,200 pesos. If I am a money-oriented person I could have charged more considering that there were no vans available at that time.

How would we know about the negotiation that transpired between an organization and the vans? This situation happens only once in a blue moon and we are not in any way connected to the terminal management. And I hope these guests involved would be honest enough to recall that despite the fact that they were fuming mad when they returned to our homestay, vent their anger on my husband and me, still we humbly extended our understanding and sympathy for their predicament by apologizing. Feeling worried for them lest they miss their plane I thoughtfully offered our van. I even had to run around looking for a driver for my husband already refused to drive for them having been offended by their behavior. What a sad experience really it is when people fail to see both sides with objectivity and an open mind.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

So friendly so welcoming made us feel like family from the first moment we arrived . Very helpful at organising any trips or transfers . The true Essence of a Filipino family very happy very caring . We'll definitely go back to see Pepe, Marilyn and the family.

Many thanks to them from Reece and Silvia

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Reece0001
Aguluz, Owner at AguLuz Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Our most sincere thanks too for your short but very heartwarming feedback. We are so glad that you concretely felt the friendliness, family spirit and generous accommodation we heartily extended. We will be so happy to see you return to our humble place and doubly willing to serve you again Reece and Silvia.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

If I was to give Aga Luz a rating, I would probably give it 4.5 stars.

The best parts are the family are really nice and friendly and I felt relaxed on arrival after a long day travelling. The food also is really excellent quality. I had eaten at many restaurants in the Philippines and found the food was often not up to the same standards as local home cooked meals. As the food was so nice and there was so much variety at meal times, we ate here every day during our stay.

Marilyn also arranged all our tours here and was very helpful.

The place has a community atmosphere and it seemed particularly easy to meet people here. Could sit and soak up the sun in the garden and relax.

The main downsides were the rooms. While they were ok, I have stayed in better rooms for 1000 peso. However, the overall experience made the Homestay well worth the money. It could perhaps also do with an extra bathroom.

The living area and dining area were nice and there was free internet downstairs too.

I would recommend any friends that visit Donsol to come and stay here, as the overall experience is well worth it.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I booked this home stay after reviewing great comments from trip adviser and confirm that this is really a very good choice. The family here is very helpful and friendly. The owner help arrange all bookings for me, starting from airport pickup, scuba diving at manta bowl, whaleshark interaction. We eat all meals here as it is rather difficult to go out , however, food here is good. Room is just average. I heard later that they actually overcharge the price but as long as they had arranged organization that we don't have to worry about, I think it is worth to pay for Some small administration cost, isn't it ?

Room Tip: The home stay location is not easy to find any restaurant. I stay in 3bedroom which is quite small and far from wifi accessibility. Air con is not working well.....
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank FongBangkok
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I was in Donsol for a few days and stayed at Agaluz and the alternative accommodation over the road for a couple of nights.

Maryln, Pepe and the rest of the family are extremely welcoming and I had enough fun just playing football with the kids. The home cooked food is delicious and plentiful, very generous portions.

The bath rooms are clean and fresh, the room I had was nice for my needs which was just to sleep, if you're looking for more than that then the room I had would probably not be suitable. However there are other rooms available which I didn't see.

Marylin will organise everything you need whilst you're there but will be taking a commission. So if you're not happy about that - book it yourself.

I really enjoyed my stay there, mainly for the family interaction and the food.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo