“Great Meal -Again!”

Tell's of Waterville
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Tell's has gone out of business
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My college friend and I were staying at a condo in NH and wanted to go out for dinner. I had eaten at Tell's last January with a big group of people and the food was great - and wrote a review about it then. Well, we went back - just planning to get the Pub fare - which I had heard was good. We ordered the special - in the pub - which was grilled swordfish. My husband makes the best grilled swordfish, so I am always a bit wary about ordering it out at any restaurant. But our waiter told us that it was a good choice and I overheard him say the chef got the swordfish in that day. Well, it was great - as good a my husband's cooking - and he is a great cook. Nice big piece of swordfish, grilled to perfection. I cleaned my plate. We also had their signature dessert - White chocolate bread pudding - with a bourbon caramel sauce - delicious as well. So overall, I would highly recommend this place again - great food, great atmosphere either in the pub or the main restaurant.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Loved Kevin (front of house) and Charlie (cocktails) and everything about Tell's. Drove in knowing nothing but hungry and tired. Left fulfilled on all accounts. Kevin let us practically create our own menu of items (one gluten-free guest) and served everything with style and grace, and was not intrusive in any way. Friendly bar keeper chatted with us near the end of our meal and really gave us good history of the locale. Highly recommended. Wish we lived in VH so we could go back

1  Thank nwLaura
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We own a condo in Waterville Valley and have driven past Tell's so many times. This summer we decided to have dinner on a Wednesday night. It was a little too cool to sit out on the patio. The service was excellent; the server very attentive. I had the Beef Tenderloin Medallions which were very good. My husband's meal was also very good (I can't remember what he ordered). At one point, I asked the server why we didn't have bread with our meal and she said that they had run out. We didn't order dessert although I heard the ice cream was fabulous. Overall. we were pleased with our meal and will dine at Tell's again. I am glad that they are doing well because there really aren't enough places to eat in the Thornton/Waterville area and I wish the owner the best of luck.

Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

Gluten-free friendly (separate gluten free menu available, and chef happy to make adjustments to regular menu).
Our meal was good--not outstanding like the old William Tell was when it was a Swiss restraunt--but still good. The menu items were original, all of the veggies and fish tasted fresh, and the sides were good. Our waitress was very friendly and helpful.
Annabelle's icecream for dessert was delicious.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Nothing went right and we left after 40 minutes without getting anything we ordered. We arrived at 8:00 and promptly ordered from the small menu. The waitress told us the kitchen was backed up and it might be a few extra minutes for our food. After 20 minutes, we had not received our appetizers, the waitress said it was taking longer than she thought, because one person in the kitchen called in sick and another person was fired before starting their shift. After 35 minutes, still no appetizers, and the waitress had disappeared. I approached the man at the bar and said unless we see some food in the next few minutes we were leaving. The manager came out of the kitchen and told us that they had missed our appetizer order! Did we want to stay for our entrees? We left as we were starving and did not trust the kitchen could produce our food in a timely fashion.

It is too bad as this was a good restaurant a few years ago. If you are going, ask if the kitchen is fully staffed before sitting down.

1  Thank Chinanomad
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Clearly we dropped the ball on this occasion.
There was no denying the order was missed. The staffing issue is being addressed after a long very slow winter and spring.
This is hardly our standard at Tell's and occasionally we will make errors. In standard fashion we always try to make a dining party happy. Unfortunately your time schedule did not allow us to turn things around that evening.
Should you find yourselves in the area again, please consider trying us again and have dinner on me. I back my staff and menus 100% and want to correct the blunders we made.

Kevin