“A quaint and charming getaway tucked into Waterville valley”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thornton
Welch Mountain Chalet Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Thornton B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Trip advisor welch mountain chalet
I stayed at during the week of September 9th through the13th.  I could have stayed At the Waterville valley conference and resort center, however, this option is only fiv miles down the road and I am glad I chose the welch mountain chalet , for my week long stay.  As you might be able to tell from my photos, this place has a lot of charm, from the manicured gardens, to the hen house , and even the workshop, ( full of interesting looking projects). The is a dog, who lives here, an old g,an shepherd,who goes by the name of  "Beckett", who undoubtedly has some psychic abilities. Allow me to elaborate... As I was in class all day , until about 930 pat night, it was very dark upon my return.  For whatever reason,the first night I returned back, the motion sensor light did not turn on, and it was pitch black. I was actually scared to get out of my car.  I saw a pair of yellow eyes slowly approaching my car , and as I fumbled to turn on my iPhone flashlight, I noticed Beckett had come over to my side passenger door anda sat down, almost said to say "miss, I will now escort you to your room"... Beckett proceeded to grace me all week with this favor, and I felt very taken car of.  Did I mention that he actually walked me to my room every night?

Every morning,I was greeted in the common room with a wonderful variety of breakfast foods. The first morning was lobster omelets, which were outrageous.  I also had an amazing German pancake with apples, was introduced to ratatouille with eggs,  and a variety of delicious baked goodies.  You can tell they are both foodies, as they even presented me with homemade orange juice, as well as homemade preserves, and fruit fresh from their garden.  John and Mary were kind enough to give me some foil , to bring some goodies( muffins, banana bread) with  me,throughout the day.  When John asked me which was my favorite, I honestly really couldn't answer, because they were all equally delicious! also, another nice touch is the goodies left in my room every day (cookies, muffins).

The fridge is well stocked with beer/wine, as well as coffee creamers.  An additional luxury was the keurig in my room, which I was grateful for, with some late nights studying all week.  My bed was very comfortable, and although I didn't use it,there was a t.v. In my room.  What I did use and appreciate, is the wifi , which works especially well , If you are a Mac lover, like me.    john and Mary are very accommodating, and are good at pointing out places of interest, and good hiking spots.  They have a lovely little common area, which has shelves holding last seasons harvest, all of which have been canned, and preserved.  There is a small tv, piano, along with a host of board games in this area.  You can either eat your breakfast, and watch the morning news out here, or take it back into your bedroom with you.  The bathroom is shared, and comes fully stocked , with whatever supplies you may have forgotten, as well as a hair dryer.  I have to say honestly, that this is probably the cleanest B &b that I have ever stayed in.  There is a wonderful smell of cedar that permeates the place, and adds to the charm.

If you love quaint and charming, as well as an experience that will satisfy your inner foodie, then give this place a try.  Not only is the Waterville valley area, and white mountain national forest area gorgeous, you will not be disappointed with a stay here!

Room Tip: There are only three rooms here, I have seen them, and they are all equally charming
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
welchmountainchalet, Owner at Welch Mountain Chalet Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Thank you for your kind review.

There are newer reviews for Welch Mountain Chalet Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed August 27, 2012

This B&B is absolutely amazing! We loved staying here, and wished we would have stayed longer. The location is such a beautiful area, and the accommodations are wonderful. John and Mary have done a great job with the rooms, with attention to details from the heater in the bathroom to the Keurig in the bedroom. The breakfast was unbelievable, we were so stuffed we skipped lunch. We took our two little girls with us, and they were welcomed (which is hard to find in B&Bs). We all really enjoyed our stay, and hope to return some day!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

We appreciate your wonderful review.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We only stayed for one night with John and Mary, but we wished we could've stayed longer! In a three week trip around the US, I don't think we were better looked after and fed. John met us on arrival, and pointed us in the right direction for dinner, as well as being happy to chat about the local area, which is rural and absolutely stunning, and about organic farming which we were very interested in (look for the chickens, you'll be enjoying their eggs!). We loved seeing the maple trees with taps in, and then having fresh maple syrup for our breakfast the next morning. Mary's cooking is to die for - we opted for the German apple pancake with sausage patties for breakfast, and didn't eat again for hours!!! The rooms are spacious and well-equipped, and it wasn't a problem for tea to be provided for us Brits! John's handmade bedstead is beautiful, and everything was clean and tidy. Thank you John and Mary for looking after us so well!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
welchmountainchalet, Owner at Welch Mountain Chalet Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind review. We appreciate it and hope to see you again sometime.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

We (my wife, I and our 16yo son) stayed at the Welch Mountain Chalet from 6/7/12 - 6/10/12. John and Mary are amazing hosts and yes they do serve the best breakfast in the world. We really enjoyed their hospitality. Breakfast is not set in stone. you decide and tell them what you'd like. Suggestion. Let them make suggestions and just go with it. They come up with some amazing things.

Beck (the large German shepherd) and the cats we're a joy as well. Even though my son is highly allergic to cats and dogs he had no issues with the (outside) animals and rather enjoyed them.

John is a wealth of knowledge and is a joy to talk to. Make sure you get your bonfire! That was enjoyable as well.

The setting is great and the house is charming. Clean, Very clean, did I say it was clean.
Our only complaint would be with the bed in the main suite. It was noisy when you rolled over at night. I informed John of this as he was unaware and I have not drought the moment we walked out of the door it was fixed. John is a Mr busy all the time and fix it kinda guy. He was grateful that we informed him of the bed issue and like i said I'm sure it's fixed by now!

We used the Chalet as a base of operation for all our White Mnts adventures. It served us well.

If your in the mood for a challenging be very rewording hike do the Welsh Dickey trail right by the Chalet. What a great adventure but Warning it's not an easy hike. It's part rock climbing and part hiking but well worth the effort.

WE WILL STAY AGAIN!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate it and hope to see you again sometime.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stayed here over Mother's Day weekend and had a great time. John and Mary are gracious hosts who make you feel comfortable and at home in their lovely secluded chalet. The bedroom and bathroom are super-clean and well-appointed. John is an excellent chef and his breakfasts are superb and a great way to start a day of hiking, skiing, or whatever your adventure is. Everything is homemade, and his egg dishes (made with his chicken's fresh eggs) are the best ever. There is a lovely outdoor space with firepit and comfy adirondack chairs for relaxing when you get back from your travels. John also offers, bikes, canoes, fishing gear and other items to make your stay complete. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank freedjum

Sorry for the delay in our response. Thank you so much for the kind review.

Reviewed March 16, 2012

My son and I went skiing at Waterville Valley. I stayed at Welch Mtn while my son stayed with friends. The owners were very welcoming and accommodating. The rooms are separated from the living space which makes it very private and comfortable. Breakfast was excellent and brought downstairs to enjoy in your room or living area. I would stay here again and highly suggest this B&B. Thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo

Sorry for the delay but thank you for the kind review. We appreciate it.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

My family went skiing this winter to Waterville and we stayed at this B&B. The owners do a great job maintaining the place and provide an awesome breakfast in the morning - which the owners bring all the way to the door of the room. The room is really a suite with a private bath (with radiant heated floors) . They have thought of little but important things while setting up the room. Everything was clean and the hosts were very welcoming, friendly. We approached them for suggestions for dinner and lunch places and they gave us great recommendations.
I highly recommend this B&B in Waterville area !!

Room Tip: Tell the owners ahead of time about your breakfast choice - which allows them to serve you better.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornton
Snowy Owl Inn
#1 of 5 in Waterville Valley
Cranmore Inn
Cranmore Inn
#1 of 21 in North Conway

Been to Welch Mountain Chalet Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!