“Ramona Hotel, Kalaw, Myanmar - ok but not great for single travellers in low season”
Review of Hotel Ramonar

Hotel Ramonar
Hotel Ramonar
Ranked #19 of 26 Kalaw B&B and Inns
London
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The location is on top of the hill away from the town but the views are great as you walk around. I stayed at the Ramona for one night in June as a solo female traveller. It's a tiny hotel with about 15 rooms that look like nice little huts/bungalows from the outside with a small veranda each, there is a small car park in front and a high railings separating from the busy and noisy road outside - so not a great view from your veranda and very noisy. I arrived in the afternoon, it was boiling hot and unfortunately the Government ration electricity so no chance of hot water shower, TV or lights. There is no air con or fan and because it's made of wood the room was boiling hot so good for high season if you are trekking as it can get cold in the morning and evening but not so great for summer low season where it's in the 40 degrees centigrade. The room was clean, double bed very comfortable, little fridge, tea/coffee making facilities, bathroom. All basic but clean and comfortable. TV was tiny, old fashioned and did not work, you could not get a clear picture on any channel so pointless. The family who ran it were so friendly and helpful they were really lovely and made you feel welcome, they were very friendly and willing to help. The Ramona only serves breakfast (very nice, usual toast/egg and fruit and coffee). They don't provide food but will get you a takeaway from a local restaurant (and add their commission as they need to use their motorcycle to do it) . I did that because it gets pitch black dark at 7pm and is a 20 minute walk to the nearest restaurant so although it's perfectly safe and quiet, as a single female traveller I didn't fancy that. On arrival at 2-3pm I walked up to the bamboo pagoda, a pleasant walk of 20 minutes there, look around and back so that was very nice for an hour or so. I filled my time with reading, washing clothes etc as nothing else to do since I was also the only guest (felt a bit weird). At meal times the staff stand and watch you in case you need anything which is really amazing service however it can be a bit uncomfortable to have people stand and watch you eat. I know they were only trying to be professional and helpful though. They did everything they could to make me comfortable like bringing me an umbrella when it rained so I would not get wet walking about 5 steps from my room to the dining area when they brought me my dinner from the local restaurant. Incidentally, the guy there had to go on his motorcycle in the pouring rain so that was really great service, I actually felt quite bad about that. You can see the hotel gets busy in the high season as they have a dining room to seat about 30 people. I think if I was with a couple of mates and we went in high season to trek it would be absolutely fine for a few days as you would walk to the restaurants, just use the room for sleeping but as a single female traveller in hot/rainy season it just felt isolated and there are no grounds to walk around, you are on the main road. I think the main road was noisy and busy with trucks because they were renovating the pagoda but maybe it's always like that but they did stop about 10pm and I had one of the best sleeps there funny enough. Out of my whole trip this was the least enjoyable place to stay and I was actually really glad to leave it however I recognise that if I had of been with a friend and other guests were there and I had of been there in normal season it would have been different. Kalaw on the other hand is amazing and I'm so glad I went, I loved the market, the caves and buddhas and pagodas - pindaya caves etc so definitely worth a pit stop but not for long unless you are trekking. I've tried to be honest here, I don't want to put anyone off, I certainly recommend the Ramona as it's great value and the people were really great and I find that's more valuable than the accommodation itself. I think the trekking must be great here as it is so beautiful. If I was looking for budget accommodation in Ramona again (with friends) and it was normal high season I would stay again. I just wouldn't stay if I was on my own as it was a bit isolated although extremely safe and peaceful.

Room Tip: Front row bungalow is best as you have a veranda albeit facing the car park and road, it's bette...