“Dishonest”

Ranked #25 of 26 Kalaw B&B and Inns
Vienna, Austria
“Dishonest”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Hotel was ok, but no hot water. But the trip they sold us turned out to be way beyond the promised comfort and quality - Which does not mean the trip is bad, they just lied about what we can expect and charged a higher price. just book your treks with other (cheaper) agencies. every other group we met had roughly the same route/food/fun.
Examples:
"WE do this trip" - He did not go with us
"Guide/cook has 20 years of experience" - was hardly 20 years old
"No rain/mud" - 50% of time rain, terrain like a swamp
"Hot shower at overnight stay" - no shower
"first day: traditional burmese food, second day: indian food" - first day: fried rice, second day: fried rice

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We got into town at 1 a.m. and planned to camp out but a representative met us at the bus stop offered a double room with a bathroom for $14 and we took it. The beds were comfortable but the bathroom did not have hot water, or water for much of our stay for that matter, the staff was patronizing and rude, and the breakfasts were terrible. The Lonely Planet was far too generous in its review of the place- the bathrooms were about the worst I've seen in Southeast Asia, even by budget standards. This could have been acceptable, had the staff been more pleasant. The day trek and guide were the highlights of the trip, although I'd suggest hiring the guide on your own, to provide him with income independent of Golden Lily's owners.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Kalaw hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I stayed here in March 2011 and it was the only time I encountered rude people in Myanmar. I arrived at 2am to Kalaw and was met at the bus stop by a representative of golden lily who said single rooms were 5 dollars. There were other people at the bus stop offering similar prices but I chose golden lily as it was in the lonely planet. When I got to golden lily, the owner (Lily I think) told me there were no single rooms available so I would need to book a more expensive room. I stated that I had been offered a room for 5 dollars, and it was not fair to change the price now. She then said fine and closed the door in my face, intending to leave me out in the cold! It was too late in the night to go anywhere else so I had to knock on the door stating I still needed the room, and I just paid the extra.

I went on to book the trek with them, and this was a really positive experience and I had a really good guide (Lily's husband who was a much more pleasant person!). I also saw Lily kick people out after they had checked out and were waiting for their bus.They had been chatting to other guests on the balcony and she made them leave. I think it was because they didn't book the tour. Lily was the only Burmese person who was rude to me, and her behaviour really sticks out in such a pleasant and helpful population.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

We arrived there after a woman in Bagan recommend us to go there. At first it was ok and the rooms were cheap. We asked the woman which was the boss, to make a phonecall for booking place in Inala Lake. She said ok come to make a phone call later with my brother or some one from the family that will help you. So we came and then she wanted to charge us 700 jatt per 5 minutes. We said that she didnt say anything about money before so she cant charge us. Then she said oh u Israelies are cheaters!! She was screaming at us, we were 2 nice girls, and she said Go away, get out ETC... She was a terrible person!!
We did the trek through them also, it was a bad choice, becouse i was sik in the second day and they didnt gave us out money back, and also didnt pay for transpotation back to kalaw!

• Stayed November 2012
Singapore
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I booked the 3 days 2 nights trekking with this Indian guy from Golden Lily whom I supposed is the boss. Well, he kind of show me many pictures which seems really cool and I sign up for the tour. The next day, we've got our guide and he looks just like an experience guide with a horse tail hair and seasoned looking face. However, our night mare started when the guide brought us to a big lake. He said something like he was talking the route for non rainy season and soon I found myself often bashing through jungles. After walking for 30 mins, the guide delivered his first shock therapy to us. "I am sorry, I lost my way.. But don't worry, I will find the route" . We were ok at first, utill he keep losing his way and brought us back to the same lake after almost 3 to 4 hours of walking. We had actually walk one big round around the lake bashing through the jungles thanks to our dear guide.

The guide gathered us and told us that he knows we are angry with him and we wanted to complain about him. What he was gonna do was that he will bring us to our lunch place which is 45 mins away and then he will give us the phone so that we may complain about him. This time, the route he is taking "CANNOT BE WRONG".. he said.

What happened next was almost 2 hours of non stop walking with the guide keep saying 30 mins more, 45 mins more. Suddenly it begin to rain heavily and we were all drenched. The road become slippery and people start to slip and fall. The guide was not really waiting for the girls at the back and I had to stop to wait for my trek mate who were falling off from behind. Then the truth surfaced. The guide did not know the way and he was totally lost and he refuse to admit.

When fellow trekkers confronted him, he said we were 30 mins away from our lunch place while pointing to a hut with smoke rising from another hill right in front of us. The problem is, that small hut in the other hill does not look like a 30 mins walk away. It seem like 3 to 4 hours. The guide had sucessfully made himself looked like an absolute clown. So we had enough and we decided to go back to Kalaw. Needless to say, the guide does not know the way back. Luckily the guide manage to get a native and he show our guide the way back to kalaw.

What followed was another 3 to 4 hours of pathetic walk back to Kalaw and when we reached Kalaw, it was about 7pm with no lunch and dinner eaten. During the discussion, the indian boss had refused to give a full refund but offer to pay for accomodation and dinner for the night. He also offered to give us a new guide which is a very experienced one who is his very own sister.

After some hard discussion, the rest of the trekkers agreed to take his offer not because they wanted but because they have got no choice. I explained to him that I would not walk anymore as I had blisters and muscle pain. Therefore he would refund me partially (Less all the cost he had already incurred). However, I would never know the real amount of the cost as all the figures are provided by him verbally. I got back less than 50% of the total amount I paid.

That night I slept in Golden Lily and to be fair, althought it was dirty, the hot water is working and the room seems fine. But Golden Kalaw still seems better.
Never Never go to Golden Lily again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
St. Pölten
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Hey guys!
I don't want to complain about the rooms, because the rooms are okay and the breakfast good.

But I just wanted to say, that they offer you a 3-day-trek to the Inle Lake, but it was a real sales pitch. They promised us a lot of things which didn't come true eg hot-water-shower, no rain (*haha*) and so on... in comparison to the price we paid it was an awful quality-price-balance. I don't mind if there is no hot water, I also like simple food... but in comparison to the price it was not enough. So better watch out for another trek-tour to the Inle-Lake and be not disappointed afterwards!!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank strahlenaralie
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The room was basic but OK and on a par with other budget guesthouses I've visited in Burma. However, i would not recommend this place due to the dodgy and dishonest sales paractices of the management.

on arrival we asked the room rates and were told $9 for a shared room and $18 for privates. We were checked into a shared room. We checked out 2 days later to be presented bill for $36 rather than the agreed $18. On querying it, the owners claimed that the $9 rate was for a room with a shared bathroom not a shared room. This is certainly not what was said at check in.

Additionaly, the owners used very pushy, dishonest, misleading sales techniques to sell their trekking. They gave us downright false info to persuade us to buy from them. Also, we paid a premium for our trek as there were only two of us so the costs for guides, taxis, boats, etc were only shared two ways. However on starting the trek we found we were sharing with other small groups or individuals who had also paid a premium for individual taxis, boats and guides while Golden Lilly pocketed the premium.

Overall we felt we had been scammed and hussled by some dishonest sales practices. If you plan to stay here, i would suggest you get clear confirmation of the room rates up front and definitely ignore their hard sell sales techniques and book your trek from somewhere else more reputable.

Room Tip: Be careful to get absolute 100% confirmation of the room rate before staying.