“Nivanna in Biurma”

Pine Hill Resort, Kalaw
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Kalaw
Reviewed March 26, 2011

After a bumpy bus ride from Bagan, this place was like Nivanna in Burma. A hillside retreat full of beautiful flowers, fresh mountain air and the most attebtive, beautiful woman that took care of the place. Great veranda for reading a book, and the Colonial all wood dining lodge served up amazing dishes. The room are all wood trimmed and each room has a balcony.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank scotty99
There are newer reviews for Pine Hill Resort, Kalaw

Reviewed February 20, 2011

Pine Hill Resort was by far one of my favourite hotels in Myanmar. It's in a beautiful setting, a bit of a walk from the centre, but a lovely walk. The staff are just the most beautiful attentive staff I've experienced. The breakfast was great, and the little cottages were quite quaint.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank BunnyTravel_11
Reviewed February 20, 2011

It's difficult to pass on to others how wonderful this hotel is. The hotel is located atop a hill about 15 minutes on foot from the center of Kalaw. Kalaw itself is a very nice hill town with a special vibe and great food options.
Pine Hill Resort is managed by a group of women about whom we cannot say good enough. From the moment we stepped in, they went beyond their way to make our stay perfect. The rooms are located in wooden bungalows and have renovated bathrooms with all comforts. Extra blankets are available in case they are needed (night temeperatures dropped to just above 0°C during our stay).
At dinner we decided to stay in. The hotel restaurant is located in a nice wooden room with fireplace and offers a series of set menus that allow to sample a bit of everything (chinese, indian, shan, bamar cusines). The quality of food was great as was the price. The restaurant staff was of course wonderful, too.
We strongly recommend staying here when in Kalaw.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank GioVale20
Reviewed December 7, 2010

Lovely setting with beautiful views over the surrounding hills and the room balcony made it even better. The bedroom itself is small and functional but clean and had a good size shower room. The main building has character added to by the wood fire they light in the evening. It is the superb staff that make it so good though. They all appeared to be teenage girls to an old man like me but they worked so hard and with a permanent smile in their local dress. It is very embarrassing to have such young women insist on carrying your suitcase.
The area is quiet and rural with hill walking as the main leisure activity but the small town of Kalaw is about 15 mins walk away.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GraemeLancashire
Reviewed January 16, 2010

The hotel itself is set on a pleasant hillside. The rooms are adequate. However, the stars of the hotel is the staff. We arrived in the evening after a days drive from Bagan (challenging due to the road condition) with a slightly indisposed child. The cold in Kalaw also took us by surprise. The staff tried their best to make us comfortable- organized medicine to be brought from town (would not accept payment), made available extra blankets and hot drinking water, with smiles and genuine goodwill, as distinct from "duties" to be done.

We stayed only one night, but the impression made by the staff will stay with us forever. Through this review we would like to pass on our sincere appreciation to them, and wish them all well.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
7  Thank Nafis A
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Many hotels in Myanmar have extremely friendly and welcoming staffs. Many hotels also go the extra mile to ensure that their guests are comfortable and happy. Many hotels have scenic locales, teakwood floors, and a casual welcoming ambience.

This is not why I am giving this hotel such an extraordinary review.

I have traveled many, many times to Myanmar. I find its people to be charming and genuine in a way that I have not found elsewhere. I love the countryside. I love the religion(s) imbedded in the souls of the people, and I admire them for inching their country forward despite all the obstacles which they endure on a daily basis.

OK. Now the reason for this review: Yep, the staff is awesome. Real smiles, real effort, and a desire to make you want to write the review I am writing because you were not as lucky as I am and have not yet been to this place.

My only complaint (other than the elephant in the room who's watching me write this review and shaking his head at me) about Myanmar is that the food can be a little off-putting to people who are not totally comfortable with the wide array of tastes which run the gamut from fermented-sour, to hot, to olfactory putridness which tastes great on the tongue. Yep. I like to eat. I am a foodie. And you know what? When I was at this hotel, I gave the following directive: I want 5 or 6 dishes of traditional Myanmar food. The only caveat I gave is that all vegetables be either cooked or dumped in boiling water for a few seconds, And I ate like a hog. Until I was stuffed. I am slowly learning to cook Myanmar food at home, but nothing can substitute for the fresh ingredients sourced locally.

Oh, and by the way, as a correction to the previous review, the main building WAS original and the guest rooms were purpose built 15-18 year ago as a hotel.

Although this was unfortunately NOT the case during my visit, this joint is super, super romantic. If you're in love, take your lover here and fall even more deeply.

Feel free to contact about this hotel or anything else Myanmar related if you have any questions. I LOVE the country and the people, and I am passionate about people getting a chance to see for themselves what the hubbub is all about.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
7  Thank tombonyc
Reviewed December 10, 2009

The hotel is situated around 15 mins walk from the small town centre.
It appears to be an old colonial style house but we were informed it
was purpose built as a hotel in the 1990s. The rooms are villa style
with wood floors and antique style furniture. The rooms were clean but had no air
con but as kalaw has a cool climate this wasn't a problem. The shower
was good - powerful and hot and was the best we had in Burma. One
negative point was that the mattress was a little hard and not the
most comfortable. However the hotel is very quiet, unlike in town
where apparently dogs bark through the night, so we slept well. The
staff speak a little English and are extremely friendly. The hotel is
run by 7 women and they all wear national dress which may sound a
little tacky but many people in kalaw tend to wear similar outfits so
it doesn't feel false at all. Breakfast was served in a large wood
panelled restaurant which felt a little lonely if no other guests were
present but food was ok and service very good. I experienced problems
in contacting any of the hotels in kalaw by Internet or email and
eventually managed to book pine hill resort via an agent peace house
travel. In summary, nice hotel, good location in a pleasant little town.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple