Tripadvisor
Kalaw

“A few days on and we’re still gutted by how much we spent on a one off treat day.”

Red House Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 37 Restaurants in Kalaw
Description: Original Italian cuisine meets the flavors of Asia and Southern Shan State in a renovated Indian Godown (warehouse)dating back to 1914.
Reviewed January 21, 2020

We’ve been travelling a little while, on a small budget. So we decided to treat ourselves and all day we were looking forward to pizza. Service was fine, apart from if there’s any small problem the waiter have to find someone else to interpret for them. We ordered two calzones- They arrived very quickly. I cut mine in two to allow it to cool down and then bit into a piece. The mushrooms were raw and the insides were cold. Not warm, cold. My partners the same. I thought we were pretty reasonable to ask for them just to be heated and was told the calzone is normally cold in the middle as it’s hard to cook the inside. I’ve had calzone before and it’s never been the case, but to give the manager credit he changed both. The next day we were hiking with an Italian from Milan and asked him if this was true- he said absolutely not.

We’ve just had an incredible meal for more than half the cost and the price we paid for in the end warm calzone we still feel bitter at paying such a price.

If you’re on holiday and want a western food. Then fill your boots. But it wasn’t for us.

Date of visit: January 2020
Red H, Proprietario at Red House Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2020

Dear customers,

Sorry about the problem with the two calzoni first of all.
For the sake of fairness, please allow me to point out that I never said that a calzone is supposed to be cold inside (that would be foolish). I only said that the mushrooms can occasionally turn out raw, being in the interior of the folded dough. That was clearly our mistake, and that is why I apologised and quickly decided to change both the calzoni.
I am partially reassured by the fact that, after the meal, you guys told me that all was ok,so I guess the second calzoni turned out well, although that does not erase our mistake of course..

As per the price, I only would like to underline the fact that we import real italian ingredients (such as cheeses, olive oil and cold cuts) and use chemical-free vegetables. All that has an impact on the prices that are clearly displayed at the entrance of the restaurant and on all the menus.

Again, sorry for the mistake.

Best regards.

Paolo Felice
(Co-owner)

Write a reviewReviews (285)

Reviewed January 9, 2020 via mobile

Nice ambiance in an old, charming building. Food was alright for a location like Kalaw, definitely among the better dining’s in Kalaw

Reviewed January 7, 2020 via mobile

Beautiful place with a great rooftop. Pizza and pasta very tasty and homemade. Prices a bit expensive compared with other places, but it is worth in Kalaw.

Reviewed December 23, 2019 via mobile

after we had a very bad experience in another restaurant previous night and vomited all night and day and we had to cancel our 3 days trekking, finally we ate in Red house and were very satisfied!! the owner was so nice and friendly! I am vegan so they made a vegan pizza for me without cheese. he gave discunt for us because what we ordered was less then on their menu. super super good experience

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed December 19, 2019

Very Nice pizza in kalaw.l like it's very much if I have a chance to go Red House again I will eat pizza.i love it.

Date of visit: May 2019