“A lovely stay at the Glenesk Hotel!!”
Review of Glenesk Hotel

and 1 more site!
Glenesk Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Edzell
Insch
“A lovely stay at the Glenesk Hotel!!”
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

A wonderful mini holiday! Choose this hotel after reading the TA reviews and wanted some where within an hour or so of home.
Room was beautiful with a four poster bed and new bathroom, plenty of space for the 2 of us and our 2 dogs.
Meals lovely but the icing on the cake was the pool, spa and sauna! which we really enjoyed.
Staff were brilliant from start to finish. Who could want more?
We were celebrating a double birthday and wedding anniversary but did not inform the hotel but i would say that had they of known, our stay would not have been any better, such is the level of service that they provide.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sasdax
DylanWren, Owner at Glenesk Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for your kind review, as well as for choosing to stay with us to celebrate some very important milestones in your lives - may we congratulate you especially on your wedding anniversary, and wish you many more for the future. We are delighted that all aspects of your stay were positive and thank you for reserving special praise for the staff, who put so much hard work into providing such exceptional service. Should you ever wish to stay again, it could not be too soon in our eyes!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
North Berwick
Reviewed May 1, 2014

My son and I stayed at Glenesk for three nights. Fantastic experience. The staff were amazing and simply could not have been more pleasant or helpful.
The food was delicious and breakfast was especially good.
The lounge facilities were superb and the recently refurbished drawing room was very tranquil with a nice log fire burning.
Great pool / jacuzzi and sauna and decent fitness room as well.

Wonderful stay and well done to everybody, we will be back in August.

p.s If you enjoy a dram, there are a few to choose from!

Room Tip: Keep the windows open for the dawn chorus. There are more song thrush in this area than anywhere els...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Ianhenderson
DylanWren, Owner at Glenesk Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Ian, We are glad that you and your son enjoyed your stay. Our intention was to create a hotel where guests can feel at home in whatever surrounding they choose - whether it be the bright and airy restaurant, the cosy malt bar or in our front lounge and chandelier room, there is space for everyone. Our log fires have become a hit with all our guests, as has the refurbished leisure club. Our night porter commends you on your room tip as it is truly wonderful to listen to this dawn chorus first thing in the morning! Thank you very much for your review and we are looking forward to seeing you back in August.
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I have spent holidays in Edzell for over 40 years, my grandparents worked and lived at Arnhall Farm so I know the area well and I can honestly say the Glenesk Hotel was the best accommodation I have stayed at in the area. The newly refurbished rooms and leisure area are fabulous. The décor and menus are superb but above all else was the welcome provided by the staff. Every member of staff were friendly, helpful and welcoming. If in the area I would recommend the Glenesk and I shall certainly return next time I am visiting. If you are reading trip advisor, and see the negative reviews on here, please read them as they are truly very amusing but only treat them as that as they couldn’t be further away from the truth. This hotel, the food and staff, not to mention the bar, are fabulous. Thank you Glenesk.

Room Tip: Room 4 - superb!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank helen w
DylanWren, Owner at Glenesk Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Helen, Thank you for your glowing review of our establishment; it means a lot to us when people who know the area inside out can give an honest opinion of the hotel, and we appreciate that. Our guest rooms have indeed undergone transformations of epic proportions, as have the pool area, bar, restaurant and lounges, while our staff continue to give the hotel further character. Once again, thank you and we are looking forward to giving a warmest welcome to you next time.
Killearn.
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Staff friendly and very helpful. Food at dinner and breakfast good. Pool facilities excellent. Some of the decor in the public rooms is a bit dated. Small gym is ok but too hot; needs water available to drink and a large mirror on one wall.Gym equipment needs updating.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
DylanWren, Owner at Glenesk Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your review. All members of our team appreciate your comments on their effort and it is good to know you felt looked after. As you rightly pointed out, refurbishments are being carried out and the Chandelier Room, Front Lounge and Dining Room have both had overhauls since your stay. We also would like to thank you for the compliments to the Leisure Facilities, and yes we are onto the Gym very soon, it is simply a matter of priority with having so much to renew here. Your suggestions are all correct and valid. We hope to see you back in the near future and once again thank you for staying with us.
Hamilton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I've stayed here a few nights now and I wouldn't go anywhere else. I have stayed in a few hotels in the area and this is by far the nicest. The whole interior has been refurbished and has a beautiful mix of contemporary design but still keeping a lot of the original features. The place is immaculate, the food is second to none, the staff are amazing as they know how to make you feel at home and nothing is ever a problem, the facilities are fantastic and I regularly use the gym, sauna, pool and hot tub after a hard days work. I strongly recommend trying The Glenesk, fantastic value for money.....

Room Tip: I have only stayed in room 20 for the few nights I have stayed, which is a contemporary modern room...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Kenny M
DylanWren, Owner at Glenesk Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Kenny, As one of our regular guests you are in a better position than most to comment on the hotel, and we are glad that you have done so! You have picked up on everything we have been or are working hard on throughout the refurbishment; it is indeed all about bringing out the traditionality of the hotel, a difficult task, but one which we have taken to with great delight. Every member of our team genuinely enjoys making guests feel like home, this is a good old hospitality tradition that we proudly keep and maintain at the Glenesk. From both myself and my team we would like to thank you for your review, it is an absolute pleasure to cater for guests such as your good self and at any time we look forward to welcoming you again and again.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Booked in for the night as we were attending a birthday party. Staff were very welcoming and went out of their way to organise food even though it was out of hours. The room was spotless and the bed very comfortable. The pool and hot tub were great. An absolutely beautiful hotel and we had the most enjoyable stay. Looking forward to going back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alison M
DylanWren, Owner at Glenesk Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Alison, Thank you for your lovely review, we pride ourselves on customer service, so providing you with food out of hours was no trouble at all. We hope that other guests also enjoyed their evening, and the party made a good surprise for the birthday girl. We are also very pleased to hear that the leisure facilities were a big hit; they are one of our biggest attractions for people looking to relax on a weekend break. We will be delighted to welcome you back soon for another enjoyable stay at the Glenesk.
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2014

The Hotel is in the midst of refurbishment and the tired rooms certainly need it (we were in room 5). The main Lounge is newly decorated and has a good focal point and the Pool was good with a pleasant young lifeguard on duty.
One staff member, Mark, was excellent and helpful. Whilst others had refused robes (only executive rooms) to use to go to and from the pool he found some (we were charged for these). However Wassim was rude and seemed to take offence at any reasonable request - the white wine was warm and we asked for an ice bucket - the next bottle of wine was thrust in the face of a female member of the party "that is chilled" and thrust neck first into the ice bucket. His whole manner all evening was unhelpful. The young waitress on the other hand tried to be helpful.
Breakfast had little in the way of fruit and whilst cooked breakfast was good the overall experience was average.
Not a place I would choose to visit again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank squirrel_steve
DylanWren, Owner at Glenesk Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear Squirrel Steve, We would indeed like to thank you for going to all the trouble of registering to review the Glenesk and being your first reviewed property. Very confusing to fellow readers with the title, THE WEDDING WAS NOT HERE AT THE GLENESK. You need to ask the bride’s mother about your room allocation, we were asked to put guests in certain rooms so I would question your friendship as we only have two none refurbished rooms left, numbers 5 and 6. Our best intention was to give you more comfort so we allocated you closer to your friends in number 21 (beautiful refurbished room with big half-tester bed) but being brainwashed that number 6 was the best option for you, immediately after check-in you latched on to Mark, having him show you different rooms and moving people around to end up in number 5. On your original booking you were offered, executive room, four poster room, but YOU opted for the obviously cheaper option of standard double. After around half hour you came to reception requesting and wanting to know why “your friend had robes and you did not”. Robes, as explained, are specification of Executives and Four-Posters, not Standard doubles, but you continued almost embarrassingly asking Mark to "go on, you can find us a couple from somewhere"! At this point I was overhearing from the office, but you had not met myself. As you were continuing on about these robes I actually came out to try and speak to you. At this point you had no idea what my role was and I was just asking why you did not book a room with your desired spec. You could not strike eye contact, constantly looked away and said "I am dealing with your colleague he is sorting my issue out”, I just asked what did you actually expect, at this point I immediately realised "flogging a dead horse”, springs to mind, and walked away after saying hope you enjoy your stay. Approximately two hours later you came bounding up to reception not asking politely but saying "Someone's messed the printing up at the venue, we need these copying and printed off for the other guests”. I did not realise you were the organiser? Moving on. You went down to the pool, en route you called at reception yet again to mention the robes, Mark had got you two, at this point I asked why you wanted them down here in the public areas, you stated so you could walk around in them and went back to your room to get changed. I explained there are both freshly refurbished male and female changing rooms available, but they obviously were not good enough for you. Then to my horror you were stood in reception in these robes, it looked like a scene from either a 80s adult movie or the Bubbles DeVere sketch from Little Britain, not the look we are trying to create here at the Glenesk however. You then asked if you could have the pool open early for 7am on Saturday (normally we start at 8 am), again Mark sorted this for you and Alex the pool attendant kindly organised opening the leisure centre for you at 7 am (but you did not turn up!). Into the restaurant, I simply stand by ALL my staff and I was sat adjacent to your table (which means to the side). At this point you need to read other reviews regarding Wissem and my reply to your co-like-minded friend who was dining with you that night whose review was published a couple of days before yours and is also strangely titled “Wedding Weekend”. Manners cost nothing and if this action was forthcoming then there would have been no charge for the laundry of the robes and yes, we did charge for the photocopying, again just because of the way it was requested. On the matter of fruit, we think pineapples, oranges, pears, bananas, apples, grapes, grapefruits is quite a good selection for breakfast, I am sorry we did not have mangosteen, toyon, elderberry, cloudberry, ugli fruit, lingonberry, pawpaw, jujube, guava, longan, lychee, okra and neem FOR YOU! This is Scotland and not Mauritius. I would like to thank you for making me and my team realise just how special and rewarding our job is, after meeting the minority in your group, you and your friend, we understand how many lovely people do visit the Glenesk and we welcome them all back, while the minority are welcomed to go elsewhere.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edzell
Lands of Loyal Hotel
#2 of 5 in Montrose
Douneside House
Douneside House
#1 of 2 in Aboyne

Been to Glenesk Hotel? Share your experiences!