“Daughter's Wedding”

and 1 more site!
Glenesk Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Edzell
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Just had our daughter's wedding two weeks ago at the Glenesk Country House Hotel and had a fantastic day. The whole venue was here and the staff bent over backwards to provide us with every special request we had.Very friendly and obliging staff to deal with-huge thanks to Dylan, Hayley and Gordon especially for all their patience and advice. Fortunately the weather was excellent and we were able to get out into the grounds of the hotel which were excellent for photos and a relax on the seats outside in the sun. The kids were delighted with the play area which meant everyone was provided for. The meal was absolutely first class-highly recommended, with the cheddar cheese soup and sticky toffee pudding a must, but the melon starter,main course and trio pudding were also delicious. A huge thanks to David the chef who came up with some great suggestions. We had shortbread and chocolate covered strawberries as canapes which were SO tasty, and the buffet was a terrific spread.Various guests stayed at the hotel and everyone said the service,food and rooms were first class. It is a lovely setting and perfect for those who want an active break with hillwalking etc nearby, and the coast within easy access. It has been newly decorated outside and inside is going through major refurbishment which I'm sure will make it even more attractive. Would definately go back again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rachel L
DylanWren, Owner at Glenesk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2012

Dear Rachel, it was an absolute pleasure to work with you and your ideas and also be a host for such nice people, all the staff at the Glenesk want to thank you not only for your wonderful review but also for your whole appreciation of the input we had planning your day. David the Chef would like to send special thanks for your compliments. Nothing more to say other than we wish you and your family all the very best for the future and we hope to see you all very soon, thank you.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Just arrived from our second stay at Glenesk, we enjoyed everything. What a beautiful place, perfect for both active and relaxing breaks. Staff were polite, friendly and helpful. First time we stayed in standard room which was not big but very comfortable, we booked again a month later and on arrival we were upgraded to a spacious executive room with a big bathroom and all equipment that made us feel very much like home, so next time we will definitely book an executive. Special compliments to the Chef for absolutely excellent traditional Scottish food and breakfast menu that fits every taste. Great choice of fine wines and whiskies, lots of fancy local drinks in a very nice cosy bar. We had some great time in the swimming pool area, there was sauna, jacuzzi and very relaxing atmosphere. We highly recommend this hotel and we will stay again for our short business trips and longer holiday as other guests told us that the hotel is ideal to stay and the area is the best place for salmon fishing which my partner is a big fan of. We will be back, and again big thanks to all staff!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank N A

Dear Guest, we can only say the pleasure was reciprocated and it indeed was a great delight to meet you, we look forward to welcoming you again and making your stay most enjoyable at any time.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Don't take any notice of negative reviews!! I have just celebrated my wedding At this fab location!!!

Staff were amazing!!! Very polite, kept making sure we were all happy. The dining room is lovely with big bay Window that let looks of sun in and lights up the room. The function room is a very good size, can accommodate 200 people and thankfully we had glorious sunshine and the suite opens up to a sunning garden! Great for pictures And playpark for the little ones!

Yes some rooms abit dated but very clean and big. The hotel was recently bought over and the new owners have already got the ball rolling with renovation. The buildings paint work outside has been done and I have it has the wow factor.

I can not complement the chef enough, food was outstanding and all my guests said it was the best wedding meal they have ever had, absolutely fantastic!!!!

Overall they made our special day the best day of our life!! I would recommend it for weddings,overnight stays, meals. And also there facilities include a swimming pool,sauna,jacuzzi!!

Love the staff and the hotel!! Please visit!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank sammy b

Dear Sammy and John, It was a pleasure to have you, your family and friends at Glenesk, obviously we aim to please and want to thank you from all our team for your kind comments. Good luck to you both for the future and you are very welcome back any time.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

This magnificent old building, currently undergoing some cosmetic type refurbishment, is a joy to behold when compared to the chromium and plastic offerings in the mainstream hotel chains.

Making a reservation by telephone, and subsequent check-in could not have been easier, a very helpful young lady smoothing the way, including taking a reservation for dinner in the hotel restaurant.

The room was excellent. I had been upgraded to a large double room for some reason, and it was well presented and very comfortable. All the facilities in the room worked perfectly.

The absence of draught beer in the bar was a mild surprise. Perhaps it will arrive/return with the refurbishment. This made the, slightly, limited choice of bottled beers all the more disappointing.

The wheels started to wobble when I went to the bar for a pre-dinner drink, about half-an-hour before the time I had provisionally said I would like to take dinner. I conversationally told the “new faces” at the bar that I had read the menu/wine list earlier and had a very good idea of what I would order.

When I had finished my first drink, I sat waiting to order a second. The young man at the bar was coming and going, dealing with other customers orders. I waited patiently, my empty glass prominent on the bar in front of me. When he finally left the bar and went to have a conversation with the receptionist, I followed him and asked if I might have another drink. This was quickly provided.

The time when I thought I had arranged to eat came and went. There was no “Your table is ready when you are”, or “Are you ready to order”, suggestions.

I attempted to get a third drink. I sat for 10 minutes with an empty glass before me and the bar staff came and went, did and said nothing. When I requested if I might be permitted one more drink, I was asked, “Are you still dining with us”. I replied in the negative, since I was obviously the cause of some problem, probably the usual single/lone nuisance customer syndrome. Profitability will not accrue by using poorly trained, incompetent, bar staff

I walked along the street to the Panmure Hotel, where despite having stopped serving food 20 minutes before, I was shoe-horned into the restaurant and served with a hearty meal and a drink. Well done to the Panmure, friendly, helpful, courteous, sympathetic to my situation.

The Glenesk Country House Hotel….? Excellent if you only want a room for the night. If you want to eat and drink, forget it right away.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank MunroBill
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I had the misfortune of staying in this hotel in June for a wedding. While it is true that the hotel is undergoing some updating this was not clear in any of the parts of the hotel which we visited.
Initially we had booked a double room only to be given the key to number 24- this is a double bed shoved in an alcove- this meant either my partner or myself would have to climb over the other to get in or out. The bathroom handle came off in my hand when I went to check out what can only be described as a cupboard with a toilet and shower. I did see the room next door as my aunt was staying in that and it was of similar quality. I did want to move hotels to down the street ( which is cheaper!) but as we at a wedding I didn’t want to cause a fuss as family all knew we were staying in the hotel.
I asked to have my room changed much to the disgust at the reception clerk who was quite prepared to argue that a double bed jammed in a corner qualifies as a double room!

We did get moved to a twin room as this is all that was left room 18. The bathroom layout was the same except without hand soap etc. well when I say except I can’t be sure that the other room had any as it was so devoid of light and I was in that much shock as to the size, layout and overall quality of the room I failed to notice any minor details.
The twin room had décor from circa 1979- with grubby headboards etc. I was staying with other family members in the hotel and we had a long journey so just wanted relax with a catch up in our rooms. We asked for a bucket of ice at the bar and where told quite clearly ‘ this is a hotel not self-service’ , never in my life have I had ice refused! Quite frankly embarrassing

I had used the pool which was actually ok, well clean and not offensive like the rest of the hotel. Only point I have on that is if you want to use the bathroom to bring your own toilet roll and hand soap. The manager did say as we walked to the pool which is accessed by walking through the bar that the hotel would be better once refurbishment was completed- not much point explaining that shabby [--] was not the look you where aiming for.

I could actually have accepted the whole thing only charging £90 per night for privilege. Calling yourself a country house hotel does not make this a country house hotel. This building has so much potential but its nowhere near the prices they are charging. We left here and stayed in Malmasion in Glasgow for £75 and Glenesk is in a higher price bracket than this! I have stayed in nicer hostels than this hotel for significantly less money- value for money is not there.

The breakfast room was a midsized room with a couple of tables- the carpets are thread bare and chairs are in same condition- seemed like an old peoples home. The 1 server was doing her very best and was the only polite thing in this whole experience.

I have read reviews on this hotel since my return and having read what the management have replied I am not surprised. Make your mind up for yourself as to the attitude of the people and what type of welcome you would receive. I for one will never be back regardless of how good the refurbishment is.

Room Tip: Not any rooms on the second floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
14  Thank skicrazyUk
DylanWren, Owner at Glenesk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Dear Reviewer, it is obvious after reading your "polite and grammatically correct" review that you have very little or no respect for places you visit or people you meet. We are very sorry but we cannot take your comments seriously as we do not understand what place you were actually reviewing as what you describe hardly matches reality. Only if we could publish cctv footage of you getting your bags of "rose wines" from the boot of your car. We thought that not charging you corkage was very decent of us. Anyway, from all our team we would like to thank you for taking the two months to write this review, it will be very helpful to the trip advisor community!
P.S. One final thing I must add, you state in your opening heading "nice location", but then you rate the location “terrible” and that is again in line with your whole contradictory review.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Under refurbishment which is well overdue. We stayed here as part of a wedding party, so didn’t have to spend too much time in the tired rooms.

Pro’s
Fantastic location
High quality of the food at the wedding meal (& evening buffet)

Con’s
Rooms – carpets in bathroom, strained and showing age
Poor service at breakfast, not enough staff to cater for the wedding party

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest, we would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Glenesk, we are quite aware of the tired rooms. We will attend to these over time and then anyone can benefit. What one has to realise is that this will hardly be transformed into a premier lodge or a new build property as we plan to keep traditional soul, design and beauty of the Victorian building from the late 1800s, but it will be brought to a high level of comfort in the very near future.
We are very sorry for the slow breakfast service that particular morning but as you are aware it is all of al-a-carte breakfast menu for wedding guests and requires ordering and cooking. With the compliments taken from everyone on the standard of food we think we are choosing the correct path for the new Glenesk!
Once again many thanks from all our team for staying with us, your comments are noted and appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Glenesk.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed at this hotel with my partner, as we decided to see some of the beautiful scottish country side and we couldn't of asked for anything better! We were given one of the newly refurbished double rooms and it was excellent. Very stylish, spacious, comfortable and it was cleaned daily. The hotel has lots of great facilites even for those rainy days. Pool, jacuzzi, sauna, gym and a lovely bar to relax in. Staff at the hotel could not be more helpful, very approachable and friendly. Food in the hotel is excellent, defiante compliments to the chef!! After eating in the hotel on the first night, we enjoyed it that much we wanted to try everything else on the great menu! Highly recommened for family and couples.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank debbie w

Dear Guest, many thanks for taking the time to write your review, it was a great pleasure to have you staying with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and the whole experience of Edzell & Angus. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Edzell
Lands of Loyal Hotel
#2 of 5 in Montrose
Links Hotel
Links Hotel
#1 of 5 in Montrose

Been to Glenesk Hotel? Share your experiences!