“Disgusted”

Clarendon Cottages
Melbourne, Australia
“Disgusted”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We recently stayed at the cottages as we had a wedding near by. I was disgusted by how we were treated, I have never came across ruder owners/Managers in my life.

We arrived at the cottages with a few extra people in tow, only to get dressed and we were abused by the owners Ian and Pam, and they wouldnt allow close friends family to access our room to get changed.

Can i also add that Ian wouldnt allow my close friend into our cottage to feed her baby on the couch when it was raining outside.

I have never been treated like that in my existence. Disgusting. They made out that we were bringing a bus load of drunks into their B&B.

Can i add that the bed was tiny and our feet were hanging off the end. Eggs left for breakfast but no cooking facilities. So not sure how we were meant to cook the eggs?? Very over priced for what is was.

Really Disapointing - Will never go back or would not recommend in a million years.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Danielle S
Pam H, Owner at Clarendon Cottages, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
I am appreciative that Tripadvisor allows owners to respond to negative feedback such as this as this is a classic example of a situation misrepresented.

The guest booked for 2 adults in our small Dovecote Cottage ($180 per night) but 8 adults plus a baby arrived without any prior notification. When we explained that we could not accept the additional people into the cottage they became rude and abusive but we stood our ground and refused to be intimidated by this group. They then proceeded to change their clothes in our driveway in front of other guests arriving. We make no apology for looking after the interests of our business and our other genuine guests and refuse to allow groups or parties of this kind to disrupt the tranquility of our beautiful quiet garden retreat

I am sure the readers of this review will understand the appropriateness of our actions.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I went with me and my partner with no prior bed and breakfast knowledge or expectations but this excelled more than our dreams. Its was a lovely, quaint cottage that was cosy and so lovely. The hospitality was wonderful with afternoon tea being an extra delight and the privacy but availability of our host's was very good. We also enjoyed the complimentary limo service to Sky High which was amazing. The area and local villages were very interesting with vintage, antique shops and plenty of cafes to choose from. Definitely will recommend and return for a future escape. Thoroughly enjoyed in all areas.

Room Tip: Dovecote Cottage- Small but cosy
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
melbourne
Reviewed October 26, 2011

Wanted a quick getaway on my own for the night..got a booking into the Dovecote Cottage at Clarendon Cottages in Sassafras. The location was great..so close to Olinda but back down to Ferntree Gully in no time. A gorgeous petite cottage, immaculately clean and wonderfully cosy! It was a rainy day and the view from the lounge room window (also where the breakfast table was) was simply breathtaking..lush green garden, flowers everywhere and great for bird watching. The atmosphere of the entire cottage was comfortable, cosy and very relaxing. The heater kept the cottage toasty and warm, even upstairs where the bedroom and bathroom were. Had a nice relaxing bath in the spacious and very clean bathroom.Breakfast provisions were ample. The microwave came very handy for the eggs in the morning since there's no other cooking facilities. The good old double bed was very comfortable with great treetops views! Met Ian upon check-in, a lovely gentleman who walked me down to my cottage holding an umbrella over me (it was pouring at the time) and my overnight bag in his other hand! I was briefed on the general facilities of the place and where I could have dinner that night, but instead of eating out, I decided to get takeaway and brought it back to the cottage. I simply didn't want to leave the place at all! I appreciated all the privacy and peace I got....from the cottage, the wonderful surroundings and most important for me....unintrusive hosts! There is nothing more annoying than hosts who are nosy and intrusive with questions about your whole life story. Thank you Ian for respecting that. How I wish I had the time to stay another night..but looks like this will become my private getaway from now on! Make sure you go on a rainy day...

Room Tip: The Dovecote Cottage is petite! Great for solo travellers or couples who aren't fussy with spaci...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank fabnancyMelbourne
Auckland
Reviewed April 12, 2010

We chose the Dovecote cottage because it was two levels. It was very small but it had lots of character and was immaculately presented. We were left choccies both days and because it didnt have a kitchen our breakfast dishes were whisked away and replaced with clean ones as promised. A very quiet and romantic setting which we absolutely loved. Will return one day.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 2, 2009

We often take weekends away but this is the first time I've ever posted a review. But this place is just great. Never felt so welcome in a place before - Ian and Pam Hankey have done a great job at this, even down to the smiley faces on the breakfast eggs. We stayed at the Camellia Cottage. It's tucked away in the gardens but the cottages themselves are just two minutes drive from the centre of Sassy. Like they say on thier card - not far form Melbourne, but very close to perfect. We'll certainly be back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AdelaideWriter
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 1, 2008

We stayed at Clarendon Cottages in August 2008. My wife and I are independant travellers in our late 30's. We have been fortunate enough to live in the Dandenong Ranges area for 5 years.

We stayed at Clarendon Cottages for 3 nights whilst we moved house. It was much easier to move out than deal with all the removalists, cleaners etc.

We stayed in the smallest of their rooms, the Dovecote Cottage...and yes, it is small. But it is very clean and quite comfortable.

Downstairs is 2 small tub style chairs, table with 2 casual dining chairs, small bar fridge and TV. Upstairs is just a bedroom and bathroom (the bathroom is probably the biggest room in the cottage)

The hosts are excellent and the breakfast provisions plentiful.

The location is close to the Sherbrooke Forest and an easy 10 minute walk into Sassafras. It is quiet and serene. Good parking and easy to find

Would highly recommend staying at this property.

• Liked — Very clean and wonderful hosts
  • Disliked — The bed is only a double and I am 6ft4" tall!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
PG
Reviewed June 16, 2007

There are 3 Cottages available for you to choose and we pick the smallest one, The Dovecote since the one we wanted, Camelia has been booked for one Saturday and it wouldn't make sense to change cottages. It's a 2 storey petite suite nestled amongst the forest, Dovecote is connected to the host's house. The hosts Pam and Ian are wonderful and very friendly. I mentioned to Pam about the BBQ and Ian brought it over the next minute. The hosts are very thoughtful; the roads leading into the cottages at night are very well lit and individual parking lot is given to each cottage. Sassafras is about 5-10 min drive away from Olinda, where all the main shops and attractions are. The heater kept us warm although Pam provided extra blankets for us. There are lush David Jones towels in the bathroom and everything just looks so clean, neat and new. We saw porsum on the trees outside our room. We'd definitely be back again to try out Camelia the next time.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank Creayu109
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sassafras
Merrow Cottages
Cottages Monreale
Cottages Monreale
#3 of 5 in Sassafras
The Loft In The Mill Boutique Accommodation

Been to Clarendon Cottages? Share your experiences!