“Not convincing....”
Review of Locanda Rossa

Locanda Rossa
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Capalbio
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed at Locanda Rossa for 3 days. After all the perfect reviews our expectations may have been too high. Our room was next to a street which was used as a racing track during early morning hours. The room was very small and we could not even open both our suitcases at a time. For 190€ /night (low season rate) we would have expected a larger room. Breakfast was ok, nothing special. The location itsself is very nice and well kept. We had one rainy day- would have liked to use the spa- which was an additional 30€ pP and had to be turned on upon request. Massage etc. was not available for 2 days in a row. So we skipped this part. Prices for any extras (drinks etc.) very extremely high, comparable to a 5-Star-hotel in Tokyo. WiFi internet was very spotty and did not work in the rooms. At least they were very generous in letting us leave one day early without any charge.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank angi k

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I knew it was going to be a great stay and the type of place we would like just from my email exchanges with Barbara before we arrived. Each of the staff members made us feel that they were happy we were there and wanted to do whatever to make our stay enjoyable. The service was beyond exceptional.

We arrived early and were just going to ask to drop off our bags so we could get lunch. What a nice surprise that they offer lunch at the resort…and our room was ready so we were able to check in early. We sat outside drinking a wonderful local white wine and liking the option to have a light lunch.

If you have spent time in Italy, you may notice that the pools tend not to be heated. It’s a cultural preference, I believe. We like our pools to be like a bathtub. Their beautiful pool was just right, refreshing enough for the 90 plus degree weather, but easy to just jump in without taking 30 mins to adjust. I love that they think of all the details, for example, the complimentary juice and ice tea by the pool. The choice to be under an umbrella, in the sun on a comfortable lounge chair or my favorite, the cushioned double bed in the shade were all well thought out for everyone’s comfort . We had wine and appetizers by the pool one evening…we stayed at the pool until about 8pm because we didn’t want to leave.

I recommend having dinner there at least once. The menu is concise, but has enough choices for everyone’s taste.

I had a massage with Stefania, who was great, and that set a nice tone for a relaxing end to our trip. The Spa Path was so much fun, and I really could have done it a second time. My husband and I didn’t want to leave it. We were not sure which part was our favorite, but the giant, multi jetted spa tub was particularly enjoyable and we hadn't experienced this type of giant tub before. There were so many choices, standing with jets, sitting surrounded by jets and even laying down like in a lounge chair with bubble jets…and then there’s the giant waterfall shower. Our skin was unbelievably soft after this treatment.

The breakfasts were farm fresh, varied and more than substantial. The breakfast here was the best of our trip. Besides the choices in the buffet (fresh pastries, fruits, cheeses, yogurts, juices, cereals), you could order items such as eggs, fresh mozzarella, bacon or prosciutto. It was a very generous spread. I wanted to eat breakfast at lunch and dinner too!

Our room was comfortable, with a comfortable bed and pillows, flat screen TV and we could not get over our large, private garden attached. We watched the stars at night from our garden and had a cup of tea before breakfast each morning there. The shower with the overhead nozzle, mood lightening and perfect pressure was a treat because, not to generalize, but we found the showers in Italy tend to be small, with mixed results on too hot or too cold water, and little pressure. Yes, we know the shower thing is typically American, like the warm pool… so we don’t expect it, but appreciate it when it’s offered.

Definitely plan to do dinner there at least one night. The whole property is so nice and designed for your comfort, you really may not want to leave…and we didn’t. We only went sightseeing one day. They will also recommend nice places to eat if you want to go out, for example, we liked Frantoio in Capalbio and, I can’t think of the name, but a restaurant right on the beach that couldn’t have a better view.

Our stay here was the last three days of a 12 week trip. We didn't want to go home, but when we saw our room had a giant photo of the Golden Gate Bridge and we are from San Francisco, we felt it was a good sign that it was time to go home, our trip had the right ending.

I am missing some of the names, so don’t want any of their exceptional team to feel excluded, but had to call out the wonderful lunch service with Desiree, breakfast with Fassia (sp?), Rachelle who was great at breakfast and giving recommendations, and even listening to me complain about a personal issue (not related to the hotel)! Barbara, who I felt I knew from prior emails, is an amazing manager of the property. They think of everything to make your stay enjoyable. I enjoyed meeting and visiting with all the ladies of Locanda Rossa (not to end with a sexist note, but I can’t help wonder if our incredible three days has anything to do with that Locanda is owned and run by women…:-) )

Review is too long, but just loved our stay and we would go out of our way on our next visit to go back.

Room Tip: I didn't see the other rooms, but we booked a standard and just loved the private garden that wa...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ViaggiatoreSF
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I booked our stay in this lovely place for two weeks in August long ago. I called many times and wrote a lot of messages to find the right room for us as it was a special trip for us (my hisband birthday). And always got the replies from the ladies with advises on all my numerous questions. And finally we are not coming there after all these huge time consuming correspondence and talks. My deposit was returned the next day I let them know we are not coming. I am really very impressed by the efficiency and cooperation of the management and hope to get there next year.

Room Tip: First floor a bit bigger and has its own garden
Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We (family of 4) have spent 10 days in 1 of the residences of La Locanda Rossa. We have had a wonderful time, enjoying the beautiful facilities, very friendly staff and excellent accommodation. The apartments are beautifully done, with a large veranda and garden with an unforgettable view of the surrounding countryside. I warmly recommend La Locanda Rossa!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jeroen2806
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We came for our first time to this wonderful garden of Eden and we will do this again in the future many more times. In the middle of nowhere you will find peace for your soul. People in service are unbeleavable pleasant and Gianpiero is the master of the universe in the kitchen reading every wish from your lips. Niki de Saint Phalle s Tarot garden is a must just 3 minutes to go by car. We will come back soon. Rainer e Erica

Room Tip: Wonderful ambiente in our Junior Suite
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rainer B
Reviewed May 26, 2012

We had the most lovely stay in one of the 'villas' at Locanda Rossa with our children. Despite lots to see and do in the area, we sometimes found it hard to leave as we just enjoyed the beautiful and peaceful surroundings of Locanda Rossa so much, the gardens, swimming pool, restaurant, spa etc. The interior and exterior design and beauty are very appealing and the personal attention to the guests' well-being is very enjoyable too! The beach and sea in Capalbio are great too and don't forget to visit the Giardino dei Tarocchi - so unique!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Charming resort at in the Tuscany countryside in a strategic location to enjoy environment, sea and historical places.
Excellent place to spend a relaxing holiday with an excellent quality of service, courtesy and attention to detail.
Do not miss a visit to Capalbio, to “Giardino dei Tarocchi” and a lunch on the beach.
Hope to come again soon!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Capalbio
Hotel Residence Valle del Buttero
#5 of 6 in Capalbio
Casale Sant'Angelo
Casale Sant'Angelo
#16 of 19 in Capalbio

Been to Locanda Rossa? Share your experiences!