“Very nice hotel in Champasak”
Review of Inthira Hotel

Inthira Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Champasak Town
Reviewed February 3, 2012

We booked room in Inthira Hotel because it sounded like the only good choice among some very little attractive alternatives.
And Inthira is definitely a nice place. We live in one of the mainfloor rooms. It is very spacey, high to the ceiling and with great bathroom etc.
The surroundings are not impressive - but no place in Champasak town is that.
The room has all neccesary amenities including dvd player - you can borrow movies at the reception.
The restaurant here is also very good. Nice staff and good food.
Recommendable hotel although you can live much cheaper here - at a following lower standard.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lookingfordru
InthiraMD, General Manager at Inthira Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2012

My sincerest thanks for your review of Inthira Champasak and your high recommendation. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future. I am glad you enjoyed our restaurant and i ll mention your feedback to the Chef and her team.

Kind regards

Toi,

Reviewed January 21, 2012

We had heard that the Inthera was a lovely hotel so we booked ahead. It was a bit of a mistake because the room we booked was beyond our needs and wasn't where we thought it would be. We were hoping to be overlooking the Mekong. Having said that, the room was nice and the staff were very helpful.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cyclingtheglobe

I am really pleased to read your review.
Regarding the Mekong, we are currently renovating the bank of the river and we will update you when it is ready.

Kind regards,
Toi,

Reviewed January 10, 2012

I stayed here with my Parents and we had a lovely stay. This is a very small place and would say that this is the best place to stay. We stayed in the rooms just across the road and even though these are referred to as the cheaper rooms they were more than adequate, perfect in fact.

The food was very nice and the staff were lovely - but who in Laos isn't!?. They helped us book Tuk tuks, boats and cars.

Room Tip: Ask to see them all frst and then you can choose which is value for money.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Everything here was very pleasant and our room (the 2 storey studio) was excellent. Some of the male staff were not as smiling as we had become accustomed to in Laos, so maybe the manager should teach them a bit more about welcoming guests and better service at mealtimes.( some long waits and courses coming out of order) . Staff need a crash course in making cocktails correctly...they were very willing but not properly trained. Internet connections infuriatingly on and off. There was, however a nice ambiance with travellers all talking together around the bar / restaurant.
From what we saw the Inthira is the only place of this standard in Champasak at the moment. When we were there the annexe across the road was not yet open, but you could see the garden backing on to the river needed a lot of landscaping. This could be a lovely space eventually, so I do hope they take advantage of the wonderful position make it nice soon.

Room Tip: all rooms looked good.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Yesterday, I left Champasak after a 6 nights spent there. First, Champasak (the city, not the province) is a very quiet and calm succession of small villages. I stayed at the Inthira Hotel and it was really great. For US $ 40 (I had made my reservation well in advance, I’ve seen later that the regular fares are higher), I had a great room, not that big but for one person, big enough with a nice open bathroom. Despite a TV set in the room, no access to any channel and you know what? that's just perfect, don't change that! Wifi was available only in the lobby and the restaurant, but it's probably because my room wasn't located in the main building but in another building, facing the main one, across the street. Both buildings have colonial style, even though rooms behind the main building seem to be newly built.
The best advantage in my room was the opportunity, every morning, to open the windows and watch the sunrise over the Mekong river (yes, I am an early bird).
If the staff is not always very professional and can hardly speak English, it's important to notice that the general manager (Mr. Vongphachanh Duangphoumy) was very helpful and careful. He organized several trips around the area, including two wonderful ones: the first in the 4 000 islands area (a day trip that worths the cost...) and a boat trip to visit the Tomo Temple.
I will never forget my holidays in Champasak and I hope I will be able to come back soon. And of course I will stay at the Inthira Hotel.
Don’t miss a visit to Champasak SPA. They offer really good massages and for a very cheap price.

Room Tip: The one I had, number 10, is among the cheaper and with the greater view on the Mekong River. Perfec...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2012

This has to be the most disappoiting hotel we have ever stayed at, hugely over rated and very overpriced.
The staff were uninterested and lazy throughout our stay. Every request seemed too much trouble for them. The Lao taster menu no longer exists instead the restaurant offers mediocre backpacker meals at high prices. As the only real option in town they clearly see no need to offer any quality.
We stayed in a Duplex room for 71 USD a night which was completely out of sync with the quality received.
The room was in a sorry state; mouldy walls, rusty shower taps and damp stains on the lighting. The furniture was tatty and placed weirdly around the room. The downstairs area was useless as the TV did not work and the chairs were very uncomfortable. The showerhead leaked making it rain across the whole bathroom and the towels and bedding were very threadbare.
The room was overlooked by the courtyard and kitchen so had little privacy and a light by the kitchen shone into the bed area as there was no curtain which combined with the very noisy AC unit made sleep difficult.
The whole place seemed unloved and as others have mentioned the access to the beautiful riverfront is blocked by debris and burning rubbish making it one of the only hotels in Champasak without a river view!
When we asked about transport back to Pakse the receptionist tried to sell us a minibus for 280,000 kip which at about 35 USD was again way overpriced when the local bus for the 30 minute journey costs 2 USD!
In the end we checked out a day early and left hugely unimpressed by this very poor hotel. For half the price we could have overlooked some of these issues but for the ridiculous prices charged this place needs some major improvements! AVOID!

Room Tip: Do not bother spending the extra on the duplex room if you do decide to stay here.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MattyBEssex
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Our small group stayed in the building opposite. The rooms were ultra modern so I have showed friends the photos of the wonderful bedroom and bathroom. I WOULD RECOMMEND that they tidy up the backyard up to the water's edge so guests could comfortably enjoy the view of the river. I went down to the water via the backyard but it was very difficult. It is not good having wonderful rooms which you have to access via a terrible mess. The hotel wants to give a good impression all round - not just one aspect. I did enjoy my visit to Champasak and would recommend friends visiting. Cheap internet access for visitors at the hotel is a must in todays world! That is my second recommendation which I want you to pass on to management. Dianne Schultz-Tesmar

Room Tip: Rooms in the annex opposite are quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
InthiraMD, General Manager at Inthira Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2011

Dear Mrs Schultz-Tesmar,

Thank you for posting a review on our hotel, Inthira Champasak. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We plan to renovate the Mekong side of the hotel, adding a swimming pool and a bar on the river. Unfortunately the Mekong has done a lot of damages on the river bank and we need to repair it before we can continue with the development. We hope to do it in 2012.
As for the WIFI, it is free for the guests of the hotel and i am upgrading to the fastest internet available in Champasak.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Toi.

0 mi away
The View at Champasak
The View at Champasak
#2 of 3 in Champasak Town

Been to Inthira Hotel? Share your experiences!