“Bad Resort”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Nasugbu
Quezon City, Philippines
“Bad Resort”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Me, my family and relatives went to this hotel for a short vacation. Everything was too costly- it would have been okay if what you're going to pay for is worth the money... But most of their services here have terrible quality!

Bathrooms don't have hot water. One of the rooms we rented out has a bathroom which can't be locked.

The swimming pool closes too early, food costs too much, water sports too expensive, island hopping price is just plain ridiculous, and you'd have to pay for the lights if you wanna play volleyball at night.. that's right, you have to pay extra just for the lights. It's highway robbery!

If you're looking for adventure, you'd get none here. Too many limitations... too many restrictions. No place for snorkeling, too many limitations on the beach, etc.

The rooms are nice though as well as the view of the beach and the hotel. But there are some rooms in which you have to walk quite a long distance from the elevator just to reach it.

If you're looking for some good fun and adventure, you'd be much more satisfied some place else.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Jay Y

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Metro Manila
Reviewed November 6, 2012

During the recent long weekend, we decided to stay overnight at this resort. We found the place not bad! However, we do believe that the management could do much better. Customer service was very poor, price of food vs food quality is way off and it's pretty obvious that the resort is not properly maintained. Despite of the promo price that we have availed, we did not find it not worth it.

Room Tip: Should anyone still decide to check-in, request for the newest wing, top floor. You get a better vie...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jrv118

Travelers are raving about these Nasugbu hotels

Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My wife and her friends got a good deal from a group buying site which we three families used in our overnight stay here with our kids. The deal was more than 50% discounted from normal rates, but it included nothing else, except for the room itself.

We had high hopes for the resort when we arrived, because we have had such good fortune with previous deals we bought from the group buying sites. But this experience was different! We’ve seen the reviews in the net prior to our visit, and many, if not most, of the reviews were true. Unfortunately, most of the reviews were on the negative side.

We took off from Quezon City early Sunday morning, it took us only a little over two hours to get there driving at a leisurely pace, and got there 9:30am. My GPS tells me we drove 123 kms. Not bad!

When we arrived, parking was scarce as the resort was fully booked, and we won’t be able to get a room until 3:00pm. At least we were allowed to register already and be lined up for a room so we can use the resort’s facilities. (You know how overeager kids can be very impatient!) The person that attended to us at the front desk was a bit snooty, but I just dismissed it at this point. She even looked like she was a supervisor or someone of authority.

First impressions of the facility were good. The lobby was nice, the grounds were spic-and-span, the pool was invitingly blue, and the beach was clean, albeit the shoreline was short. So off the kids went to go on swimming at the beach while we parents lounged at one of the vacant cabanas on the beach.

My first funny experience was when my wife wanted a can of Coke, when I asked how much it was, the server I inquired from was somehow embarrassed to answer me, but he still did, and told me that a can costs Php95! Wow, that is even more expensive than most five-star hotels in Makati! Fortunately, we had some in the cooler in the car which we were able to sneak in. Tsk, tsk, tsk…

At lunch, we decided to order from the restaurant and had it delivered to our cabana (we read bad reviews about the food and its prices, but we decided we won’t be able to pull the kids out of the beach just to eat lunch out). The menu in the restaurant looked like photocopied pieces of paper, some pages were even tattered, and some missing. Viands were priced from Php230 upwards. A stick of pork barbecue was Php95!

Food was bland, and a stick of barbecue had only three large pieces of meat, meat that was so tough that it was so difficult to cut into smaller pieces! The rice even had signs of tutong.

After lunch, some of our friends wanted coffee, again, when we asked, we were surprised to find out a cup costs PhP90! An equivalent-sized cup of drip coffee in Starbucks is only Php80!

Later in the afternoon, I decided to join my kids in the beach, only then did I find out that it was actually rocky. Well, not to fault the resort, but I do remember from my childhood days that the nearby Matabungkay’s beach also had this characteristic. The water was nice and calm though.

When my wife was finally able to check in a little past 3:00pm, she called me saying she had to call housekeeping as the aircon in our room was not getting cold, again, I just dismissed it keeping in mind that these things happen.

But when I finally returned to the room with the kids to prepare for dinner, the bathroom alone showed signs of lack of preventive maintenance, to say the least. (1) One of the bulbs in the bathroom was busted. (2) The stalk of the makeup mirror was installed on the wall by the lavatory, but the mirror itself was missing. (3) The toilet roll holder was missing, though there were marks on the wall showing there used to be one there. (4) The shower selector valve was stuck to operate just the shower and not the wall spout.

There were a host of other deficiencies in the room itself. (1) One of the two keycards issued was not working. (2) There was a piece of paper stuck inside the key card holder as the maintenance people who fixed the aircon instructed us not to remove this so as not to turn the aircon off and cause it not to cool again. (3) There was only one louver left on the aircon vent. (4) The phone was cracked in some places, for it was so light and not fastened to the desk that if you take a call standing up, the spiral cord would lift it up and causes it to drop to the floor. (5) The service light inside the closet was busted. (6) The room safe was locked, called for it to be unlocked; nobody ever came to fix it. (7) Some buttons on the TV’s remote were not working.
My family has five members, and we declared this when we checked in. As we were to take a bath, we noticed that there were only two towels. When I called to request for extras, I was told that each one would cost me PhP100! I’ve stayed in so many hotels/resorts in the past; this was the first time I am experiencing being charged for towels in a hotel! No wonder other guests bring back their beach towels to their rooms as these are issued free of charge.

My first call to room service took forever to be answered. When someone finally answered me, she sounded irritated. Fifteen minutes after, when the towels I requested for haven’t arrived, I called again to follow up; again, the call took almost 10 rings to be answered! And this time the same person I talked to earlier sounded more irritated, as I was following up the towels and I told her I needed them 5 minutes ago! Only then did the towels finally arrive.

We decided to eat dinner in the town proper some 4 kms. away at a nice restaurant called Dalampasigan, which had very nice reviews, to escape the pricey and bland hotel food. (Funny reading the reviews for Dalampasigan, as most people who wrote the reviews was staying at Canyon Cove and decided the food there was worthless and decided to venture into town to look for something more worthwhile.)

And my final experience the following day was breakfast at the restaurant, when I asked how much an ala carte breakfast would cost; it was priced at a hefty Php295 per person! So I decided to shuttle my kids again into town and had breakfast at Jollibee for only P294 for the 4 of us!

So in a nutshell:

PLUS:
- The resort is not so far away from Manila.
- The lobby was nice, the grounds were spic-and-span, the pool was invitingly blue, and the beach was clean. The kids enjoyed the kayaking!
- The price of the accommodations was reasonable.
- The room had two twin beds and a queen sized bay window bed tucked on one end of the room, really comfortable for 5 to 7 persons.
- The service and courtesy from members of the dive shop staff and the restaurant servers is hands down very good.

DELTA:
- The person answering the room service number can be taught some manners.
- Room amenities need modernizing already.
- Food at the restaurant should be improved further. And do revisit your pricing! Many people will not mind paying a higher price IF AND ONLY IF they get the quality and taste meant to be received at that price.
- Maintenance and upkeep can be improved on. A room with busted bulbs and missing and/or defective amenities should not be turned over for use to any guest in my opinion.
- The hotel management should read and take reviews seriously to improve their facilities.

14 Thank Dunce0214
Quezon, Philippines
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We went there this October 2012, and I'm really glad I discovered this beach hotel on line. Just 2 1/2 hours away from manila, before Punta Fuego, it was a blessing in disguised that i discovered this beautiful resort.The swimming pool and the beach are awesome, my daughter really enjoyed it, I have to say that the life guards are doing their job well, they are so attentive toa ll the guests. As per the room, rooms were big and I like the concept of them putting a day bed. All rooms are beachfront, I can see the sun set from my room plus the sound of the waves are very relaxing. This is certainly a full pledge beach resort complete with all amenities, you will never get bored staying here. The buffet were actually fine, my fave is the beef stew that they served at the dinner buffet. I liked that they can serve food on the pool area as well, they have a chef preparing and cooking bbq in the pool area wherein you can buy and order food and beverages. They also have a bar that opens at night, i stayed there with my hubby and enjoyed the cool music and my blue tequila. For Promo price Php 3,999-deluxe room for 3 person, inclusive of breakfast and dinner buffet plus free use of all facilities ( except of course rentals of the jetski, banana boat, paddle boat, pedal boat ) good service, good food, good ambiance-- I think their price is really cheap. I will definitely go back!

1 Thank marywill_71
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Was great trip i hired a car drove all the way to the resort was very nice , beach and area around very pretty a long trip from manila not many people that time of year nice big pool. Did not stay long only one night and then drove to taal lake

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Cookiefast
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Asawa ko and I saw a discount deal of 50% on rooms originally valued at PHP6000 (approx) per night for a superior room. Decided to try it and take asawa ko's two young sisters (9 and 7 yrs old).

I'm trying desperately but am finding it difficult to think of good things to say ....

OK ....

Nice location.
Resort "looks" good
Pools were excellent.
Grounds were well kept.
Staff were friendly and tried to help.

... That's it.

Bad news:

Room was in need of decoration .... evidence of mold on walls and ceilings but repainted (badly).

Beds were slightly ... loud.

Furniture was old.

Balcony doors didn't open properly or were jammed.

Floors weren't very clean.

Restaurant (the Island Cafe) was massively overpriced (think 4 to 5 star Makati Greenbelt prices with food that was at best worth 1/3rd the price - don't try the surf and turf: the beef was terrible for PHP750. Inedible! The "surf" wasn't great either.); Again, much evidence of mold on ceilings, etc ... unpainted this time; Badly printed menus with missing pages (no two menus offered the same pages, so it was difficult to know what you could order); no wine; no spirits ... in fact no beverage menus at all; Staff, whilst friendly, were badly trained and EVERY TIME messed up the orders ... repeatedly.

Unfortunately we were told outside food was not allowed to be ordered or even brought in, which was an extra problem as the restaurant choices were minimal to say the least.

The bar: I was hoping this would be the saviour as it was very nice. Unfortunately it only opened after 1800hrs and then did not have a bartender in residence. Some of the drinks (the ones I wanted anyway) were not available, which wouldn't be a problem normally as I will drink anything with alcohol in it. Unfortunately we couldn't reach such a level of equanimity due to not being able to get anything, outside of bar opening hours, other than beer.

Renting a beach cabana was PHP1500 per day (which is expensive, especially when you have to clean it yourself of the dirty nappies, tissues, bottles, etc, someone else left).

The volley ball court (and as far as we could tell any other form of amusement) also had to be rented ... maybe other hotels do this, but I've not seen it as blatant as this before.

Games room was under maintenance, so literally no other form of amusement. Problem as you therefore had nothing, literally nothing, else to do.

I could go on, but I will depress myself.

Suffice it to say that we were incredibly glad that we only stayed for two nights. However, at an overall cost of PHP14000 for room and board (not to mention traveling costs from Makati), and this at HALF PRICE plus 10% discount on food ... well could have gone to Boracay ...

... and spent less.

Would like to reiterate, though, that the staff were very nice ... just somewhat clueless.

Room Tip: Don't go there.
7 Thank ridsw
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Reservation & Check-in was a easy enough.. accommodating reservations officer & front desk....
Upon checking-in your greeted by the Beautiful Lobby,,, "BUT" upon going inside the Elevator you smell this MOLDY/OLD scent, this would be the "THEME" of your NOSE up until your enter your room.

The room has a king-size bed.. adequate space... & a KILLER View (from the 4th floor). Bed & Sheets were clean. Shower & bathroom was also in good order. We requested some ice from the restaurant & was accommodated at once. (We read bad service posting here on Tripadvisor but personally we were satisfied with their people & how courteous they were). Maybe staying during the weekday & the weekend is the BIG DIFFERENCE here since in the weekends one room attendant mention to us that they get FULLY BOOKED & guest can number from 100-300 persons.

The Pool was clean & was being serviced during that time & we had a freshly cleaned pool to indulge in. There are Lifeguards designated for the Pool & the Beach. Beach was cleaned also by the staff, the cabanas are open for use to the guest but other activities (kayak/pedalboat/scuba gear/banana boat) have corresponding charges. The sand beach was a decent 1-1.5KM long but the ocean part has rocks/sediments & we recommend bringing beach/surf shoes.

We also read about the POOR FOOD QUALITY reviews for this place & therefore we didn't expect any difference. This is the part of the resort that they should really work-on to improve. Charging a guest 245 pesos for "Filipino Breakfast" (Tapsilog) & getting a below than average TAPSILOG (Egg was dry, Beef was stiff-overcooked) is really disappointing. We ordered the Crispy Pata for dinner & Pulutan, and again was disappointed with the quality of food prepared by their kitchen.

All-in-all we give this resort a 7 out of 10. It has the potential to be GREAT AGAIN but management should really look at the details.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank BooN0307
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nasugbu
Coral Beach Club
Club Balai Isabel
Club Balai Isabel
#1 of 2 in Talisay
Acuatico Beach Resort & Hotel

Been to Canyon Cove Beach Club? Share your experiences!