“A Great Place for a Stopover in Nakuru”
Review of Chester Hotel

Chester Hotel
Ranked #5 of 34 Specialty Lodging in Nakuru
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“A Great Place for a Stopover in Nakuru”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed in this hotel returning from a safari. What is offered was good basic rooms with a shower, however it felt like luxury after a few nights in the wilderness.
The staff were excellent, probably the most friendly I have ever experienced at a hotel anywhere. The residents restaurant was good and the food was nice.
I was staying there for one night on a stop over, so can say the rooms offed a decent nights sleep however staying there for days or weeks I would probably have rated it differently as some aspects of the room are basic, however the rooms are large and clean and the staff are only too happy to help if need anything.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lee P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Swanage, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed one night here whilst touringi . We had rooms in the annexe over the road. The room was basic but clean. One problem was the strange plumbing - we had little hot water and our friends in another room had no water at all in the morning.
The staff were very pleasant and helpful. Meals were fine

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ann C
Somerset, UK
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed here for one night as part of a safari tour, visiting Lake nakuru for a day. The hotel appears to have two buildings, i was in the slightly newer larger one opposite the sports ground. I found all the staff friendly and helpful, the restaurant had a good buffet selection, the room was clean, large enough, with a mosquito net, I felt safe, and I was able to relax no problem. The only gripe I have is the the traffic outside seemed quite noisy, esp the motorcycles, and they didn't really seem to stop all night long. Apart from that i was happy enough, and would recommend this place a stop over for a night or two. Sure it's not the Hilton but for the price you pay you have to be realistic, and this is fine.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ForceTranquille
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed here for a night after visiting the lake Nakuru wildlife reserve. I found it good after staying in very basic campsite in Amboseli. Our travel agents Africa Home Adventure had booked us here. The hotel is a budget hotel with basic amenities. The double rooms we were given on the fourth floor was clean, had attached clean bathroom with a geyser. The bed had a mosquito net. The bed was comfortable. The restaurant was on the first floor. The food was simple but had options for both Dinner & breakfast.

I would surely recommend this Hotel for 1 night or 2 nights but expect very basic comforts in a clean environment. The rooms service doesn't almost exist but for 1 night our stay was good.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the new building & ask for a rooms on the opposite end of the road as the road...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank shivajimuk
New Delhi, India
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I didn't like the wing where we were put up; I didn't like the room; there was no service available. There was no fridge also in the building we were in. Even in main restaurant there was no Ice or cold water available. The new wing across the road where they have restaurant and reception appeared better.
The hotel was a little far from Nakuru town so there wasn't any place to roam around also. In the dark when I went to the general provision store nearby, I felt scared. My room was pretty noisy as the staff and guests who would be in the building would talk and all noise came in clearly.
The morning tea ordered by us cost shilling 150 BUT room service was shilling 200 !!
Thankfully we were there for just the night.
There was ONE major plus point which I must mention and thank the hotel. A camera left by us was found by cleaner and returned to the hotel. When we called up from Masai Mara , we were told that camera was safe with them. For this they must be appreciated.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rohinarora

Travelers are raving about these Nakuru hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I stayed here on my way through Nakuru.I picked it as it's out of town.The room was ok facing a housing scheme although I was told I could see the lake.The linen was quite old and I never got to see the sport channel after having confirmed it was there.I enjoyed the breakfast.I would stay again if they can improve on those small things.

Room Tip: Away from noisy town!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed May 15, 2012

We stayed here as a family of four for 3 days. Initial impression was good with very welcoming and helpful staff. Their parking is on the road so staff holds an umbrella for you from car to the door. The room was dated but nothing outstandingly bad, however the bed was old and squeeky and as our windows were to the road side, it was very noisy at night. We had a dinner at the hotel on our arrival - don't do that! We paid a lot and the bill was not broke down (just the total amount), and the menu only was in a waiter's head, so there was no way of checking for what we overpaying. We got much nicer and much cheaper dinner on other days in the town. Breakfast experience was strange - one day there was a conference, so they served lots of various food - nice! Other 2 day there were only few people, and they didn't even have cereal+milk, and other food was a bit short. Overall was very average but I would look for another hotel if I come to Nakuru again.

Room Tip: Choose not the road side and possibly on a higher floor so no mosquitos guaranteed.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nakuru
Legacy Hotel & Suites
#1 of 50 in Nakuru
Kivu Resort
Kivu Resort
#25 of 50 in Nakuru

Been to Chester Hotel? Share your experiences!